Jackett & Cook

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Jackett & Cook

Post by Pompey1985 »

Let me start by saying I've never really been a huge fan of Jackett - I just don't trust people.with no emotion. This is in part why I liked Paul Cook, he kicked every Ball. However, there was a number of fans who hated Cook for this, are they currently pleased with Kenny Monotone?

The football all season has been poor to really poor, yet we were getting results but that doesn't hide the fact the football has been poor. A number of fans have started to moan about the hoofball which has been played most.of the season. Yet there was a load.of moaning about the football Cook played where by he kept the ball knocked it left to right a probed and did the same if nothing was on this can be a great watch yet huge quarters weren't happy.

The cries keep coming to play 442 we have on occasions earlier.in the season and recently it hasn't worked, 4231 is not a negative formation and 442 is not attacking it's archaic to think so, football has progressed it's more fluid now. It's how you play the game not how.you line up - Spain won silverware without a recognised forward for example.

So what do we we want? Cooks football was apprently boring, personally I liked it. Jackets is long ball dross and I do find it boring. What is it people want?

He has changed personnel a lot recently in terms.of starting eleven there has to be been a settled side for a while this doesn't help but it isn't all down to injuries or niggles, jacket said the other day he knows his best side yet made three changes again last night when he could have named all but one of last night's team at he weekend. Does he really know?

Has the alienation of Pitman had a negative affect on the squad? What is going on there?

This isn't a blip at present it's a cliff edge, what's more worrying is there is no sign of an improvement.

Still at least I have a 5 hour train journey with a Barnsley fan to look forward to on Friday and Sunday.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Jackett & Cook

Post by Pompey1985 »

Oh and I don't get Anton Walkes.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Firstly, I think this is a great thread topic, thanks P85. It raises a lot of difficult issues that don’t have simple answers, which might be why you haven’t had any replies!

I liked Paul Cook’s style of play, but a lot of fans, especially those at the games, were not happy when the ball retention went nowhere. Whilst I don’t particularly like Jackett’s style, it is important to note that football has moved on from keeping the ball to being quick and incisive with what ball a team does have. When Pompey were playing well (anyone remember?), Curtis and Lowe were able to quickly play off Hawkins when the ball was turned over and we looked threatening. At present, lack of confidence, teams working us out and heavy pitches are all combining to limit this impact. We lack pace and precision and as a result it just ends in passes lumped forwards with no clear intent. The whole team looks slow, stodgy and pointless, and Jackett seems to have little idea as to the remedy (but then, neither do I).

I like that Jackett doesn’t get over-excited, hyperbolic after games or rant about referees. That is the job of fans, players and the media; managers need to be cool and make rational decisions. I also think he is pretty good with his substitutions; they are done early if a change is required. I know some people complain that it is too much like-for-like, but there is usually a clear point to it. Remember the criticism of Cook for not making changes until injury time? On the negative side, this is the second season where we have collapsed after Christmas, and we could even miss out on the play-offs if we don’t turn things round. Assuming we don’t get promoted, I agree with Selsey Bill that we could see an agreed parting of the ways over the summer.

Fans talk too much about formations, probably because numbers in a row are easy to visualise, but really they are a means to get your best players on the pitch in areas they feel comfortable and are effective. Jackett’s favoured 4-2-3-1 is fine, but we have suffered because we haven’t had a proper No.10 all season. We have shoehorned players into the role, but none of them are really creative and consistent enough. Strangely, the best I have seen was probably Louis Dennis in the first QPR game, but others who have seen more of him haven’t been so impressed. When we have played 4-4-2 we have looked horribly rigid and unhappy (see Luton at home) and often over-run in central midfield. 3-4-1-2 can work (or could when Whatmough was fit), but we have neither the wing-backs who can both attack and defend (oh for Matty Taylor or Enda Stevens) or the No.10 player for the Paul Merson role, and we end up in some disastrous defensive 5-3-0-2 formation. I think we have suffered from bad squad building, which is largely the manager’s fault, but also depends on players being available.

Anton Walkes is young, has promise and is a reserve RB. Probably as good as you’ll get in that role. I suspect we will never find out about Pitman, but I expect him to be gone this summer (I was surprised he lasted after January).

I suppose in summary, good Jackett is good, just like good Cook was good, and the reverse applies. Overall, I think we need a speedy upturn and a strong run at the playoffs (I’ll accept bad luck) for Jackett to get a third season.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

The best teams are able to do a combination of both, retain possession and get the ball forward quickly when needed. What's interesting is that you never see youth football teams playing the long-ball game or any youth team coaches training them to. So it is counter-intuitive to footballers to play that way, which therefore must make them miserable. As a pro footballer surely you'd rather be playing skillful and attractive football. I suspect that the only player at Pompey who is enjoying himself is Hawkins (on the basis that KJ's style is getting him in the team), the others are probably a combination of fed-up and shot of confidence.

Just look at the difference a more attacking approach has had on the players at Man Utd, same players but totally rejuvenated. I think we have good players but they need a different approach to make them thrive.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

Agree with everything mentioned 85, I’ve personally never been a fan of Jackett and was also in the Cook fan club.

I always felt that Cook left for Wigan partly due to the fans lambasting him that winter period before we went up. Cook and Jackett both seem fairly stubborn in their favourite players however I certainly haven’t enjoyed the football this season, wonderful to scrape 3 points Earlier in the season with ugly football. But without the 3 points it’s very hard to watch.

I feel that part of the hoof ball tactics is due to the complete non existence of the midfield. I rate Naylor as a defensive minded foil, but you need that more creative mind next to him. Close is part of the reason why we are where we are, again highly rated by everyone apparently, but if you watch him play only, not the team, he is found hiding behind opposition players. He never looks for the ball and when he does get the ball, passes it off to the easiest pass off he can read on the pitch. I’m sure to the untrained eye he looks wonderful as he sprays 5 yard passes back to burgess but it certainly won’t win you games.

Additionally this role Evans plays needs sorting out, I’m a big fan of NFL and the situation relates where we have 2 great wingers in Lowe and Curtis, teams are aware of the threat and sometimes double up. Which leaves a hole in the middle where Evans has managed to score a fair few this season without really shining at all.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Interesting topic huh?

I think our midfield is too weak for 442, our problem hasn't really been scoring goals granted I'd like to see us score more but our midfield has been pretty poor all season as a ball playing entity even with Ben Thompson.

I don't think it helps having a giant like Hawkins up front he is seen as an easy outlet and I just don't think he is good enough.

One of the main offenders of hoofing it is now out for a year - Whatmough most of the time his distribution is dire.

I think it's our movement that has suffered most recently and I suspect that Been Thompson might have done a lot of talking out on the pitch. Everyone in our side is too nice.

I'd take the armband of Clarke too and give it to Evans or Naylor.

All in all I think the formation we play is about right, the players we have are capable of playing it. They have shown that, I think we would be better off with a Naylor and Morris midfield than Naylor and Close as they are too similar.

The wingers need to be wingers and hug the touchline. I'd like to see us start the weekend with Omar up top and Vaughan in behind him, to me this is and attacking side and if your wingers track back your no worse off in midfield than a 442 and it's NOT negative. What I really want to see is the midfield two showing for the ball when our centre backs have it. One drop a bit deeper to collect it and the other to be showing themselves and a bit of movement, back to some basics.

If we start with Hawkins and the formation (even though I think it's right) Fratton might be a horrible place to be on Saturday.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Really interesting thread. I rate both Paul Cook and KJ as managers in their own ways. Sometimes with Cook I got the feeling that the players were almost afraid of passing the ball forwards and adopted an ultra safety first approach, and sometimes with KJ it goes too far the other way with aimless high balls up the pitch. I think that a potential problem with a very tall striker is that it is too easy for defenders/midfielders to cop out and just whack the ball up the pitch.

I have to confess that from the little that I have seen of Louis Dennis, he seems to me to be a natural no 10 with skill on the ball and the ability to unlock defences with telling passes. However, he would probably need a run of games to get completely up to match fitness and we may not have time for that.

It was noticeable to me on Tuesday that Hawkins won very little in the air, and neither did Bogle, but when Vaughan came on he won most of the aerial challenges, although he is not that tall. I was also impressed with Bogle coming back a little deeper and spreading the ball as he did on Saturday to Lowe from which our first goal came. Vaughan up front with Bogle playing off him? That might work, but wouldn't sort out our crying need for a midfield playmaker. Lastly, Jamal Lowe looks as if he desperately needs a rest - I was surprised to see him in the side on Tuesday.

I am so relieved that I can watch and criticise from the stand and don't actually have to pick the team!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Very interesting stuff. I was a big fan of Cook, but my old school mate who sits next to me at FP wasn't. He really likes Jackett, but I don't really! I always believe a team plays football in the character of it's manager, hence the boring dross we are serving up right now. With regards to formation, I manage an U18s team and we have played 4-2-3-1 all season, and it works - with three league games to play, we will definitely finish second, but could win the league. A couple of weeks ago we played a cup semi final match and I decided to play 4-4-2 as the goals had dried up a little of late. It didn't really work. We drew 3-3 and got knocked out on penalties. In our post match discussion, I admitted I'd got it wrong and that we would go back to our preferred formation. What being a manager (even at this lower level) has taught me is that it is a VERY difficult (and lonely) job. Finally, as someone eluded to above, I do wonder whether all is not well in the camp? Only rumours, but I've heard Ronan Curtis is disruptive (wouldn't surprise me at all!) and I wonder whether Pitman being left out is having a negative effect on team spirit. Whatever it is, something isn't right...
streetrifle
Paul Merson

Post by streetrifle »

Interesting thread this one. I like to see the ball passed with some sort of build-up play and not just thumped forwards hopefully which usually ends up with losing possession or at best winning a throw-in. Its painful watching Hawkins trying desperately to win balls in the air mostly unsuccessfully. I believe strongly in width, and it pains me to see Lowe and Curtis keep wandering inside and midfield getting crowded. I think we are missing Nathan Thompson because his link-up play with Lowe was good, and Walkes is not a good replacement in regards to forward attacking.
The problem is in my opinion that when teams are in a poor run, as we are, there's a lack of confidence which creeps in and means that the constructive side of their game is lost and the players lack composure and this means that they don't get the ball down and pass it anymore, but take the safe route and thump it upfield thereby losing possession.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Cant say I'm enamored with either Cook or Jackett. I'd like to see us take a shot at the Lampard (1st job Derby) Gerrard (Rangers) types.
Attacking footy, bit of emotion, thanks very much.
Wasn't there a rumor of a David James / Hermann duet?....that's what I'd like to see over a bunch of recycled 20th century guys. Something like that would be akin to the Ole Gunner shot Man Utd have had the last 2 months.....a couple of characters that know the club.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 am I'd like to see us take a shot at the Lampard (1st job Derby) Gerrard (Rangers) types.
Like Whittingham and Awford? How did that go?
richisbradders
Alan Knight

Post by richisbradders »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:40 am
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 am I'd like to see us take a shot at the Lampard (1st job Derby) Gerrard (Rangers) types.
See also; Steve Claridge and Tony Adams of recent times.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

richisbradders wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:24 pm Agree with everything mentioned 85, I’ve personally never been a fan of Jackett and was also in the Cook fan club.

I always felt that Cook left for Wigan partly due to the fans lambasting him that winter period before we went up. Cook and Jackett both seem fairly stubborn in their favourite players however I certainly haven’t enjoyed the football this season, wonderful to scrape 3 points Earlier in the season with ugly football. But without the 3 points it’s very hard to watch.
Cook left for Wigan because they offered to double his salary plus he was going to be much closer to "home". Nothing to do with fans getting on his back. The man proved to be a bit of a snake sadly.
All that said I preferred his style of football to KJ's which I find incredibly basic. I've never ever liked hoofball, hated it with Pulis & Cotterball. KJ was always going to get cut some slack when results were decent but with a downturn & so little entertainment on show he probably deserves all he's getting atm sadly. I wish he could incorporate some more football into his style as I don't want to see him leave because of the upheaval & worry there are plenty of Richie Barkers out there.
But its his default style & I can see it ending badly for him. Hope I'm wrong.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 am Cant say I'm enamored with either Cook or Jackett. I'd like to see us take a shot at the Lampard (1st job Derby) Gerrard (Rangers) types.
Attacking footy, bit of emotion, thanks very much.
Wasn't there a rumor of a David James / Hermann duet?....that's what I'd like to see over a bunch of recycled 20th century guys. Something like that would be akin to the Ole Gunner shot Man Utd have had the last 2 months.....a couple of characters that know the club.
The thing is, we aren't the same club as we were when Jamo and Hermann played here. The culture is very very different. They know the fans, but The Fans <> The Club.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:40 am
Well, neither of those 2 were sought out in a manager hunt, As I recall they both worked here already as coaches and took over as caretaker managers.
Available options we took when broke.
No other teams were banging their doors down
Div III. Call it what it is.