Kenny Get Ya Jacket

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Hamburg Skate
Paul Merson

Kenny Get Ya Jacket

Post by Hamburg Skate »

And take ya hoof ball with ya.
Brexit....Voted for it...Sorry i was wrong.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Kenny Get Ya Jacket

Post by eltorrro »

Yep..agreed. That was div 2 type football, especially from us...Sunderland were not much better but tried to keep it on the deck and had some slick movement. Our football is sooooo boring, predictable and uninspiring. Get somebody in who inspires and is tactically aware. 8)
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Yeah enough is enough . He's clearly found his level
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Sunderland are poor but the way they kept the ball against us made them look world class.

Why didn't he make a third change? Why didn't he throw Burgess or Clarke up front?

Paul Cook would have had some passion and not gone out with a wimper.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

It was bizarre not to use the 3rd sub, especially as we weren't creating anything in the last 15 mins of the game. Take off Naylor or Close and put Curtis up front??
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Evans was ineffective so he could have gone off early for Curtiss
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Yep good riddance, I mean 4th in the league and a cup win, absolute shocker of a season.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Don't let us get like the Sunderland fans. :smt008
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

portchesterblue wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 am Yep good riddance, I mean 4th in the league and a cup win, absolute shocker of a season.
I don't think that anyone would say that this season hasn't been successful, and the stats back that up. The issue is more that will KJ's approach take us much further than this? And also, we all want to watch a more entertaining style of football. KJ seems a good bloke and has consolidated us in League One and I would imagine will continue to get us into the play offs each year playing hoofball, but is that the limit of our dreams?

In the most important game of the season he put our two best wingers on the bench and left one there the whole game. I understand he said they were tired, but he has played them week-in week-out all season, but waits until the final and most crucial game to change it around! I imagine they are both pretty cheesed off and it will prove to Lowe why he needs to take his chance to leave this summer, and it could escalate Curtis' rumoured discontent.
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

It has been a good season when you consider the league position and cup win, but when you consider the club's financial advantage to most clubs in the division, less so. I watched the interview after the game where they said Sunderland couldnt even field an 11 v 11 match and had to use the club's staff and it makes Sunderlands season impressive.

They have a young manager who has moulded a team into cup finalist and potential promotion candidates. Whilst the financial clout Sunderland have hasn't guaranteed them success, it has made it easier to afford players like Grigg and Mcgeady.

I don't really see where we can go with Jackett, his preferred style of football is the long ball over the top to a striker with no pace. When we get the ball we needlessly give it away hoofing it up field. The sale of Clarke and or Lowe will create funds to improve the squad, but the tactics we use always seem to struggle against teams who sit back and don't pressure us (I think a lot of teams figured this out in January/February as we struggled to pick up points). I'm not saying sack Jackett but I think next year could be more difficult for us.

I think Sunderland knew that we would play hoofball and just sat back and soaked up the pressure. The players were too pumped up and we were lucky to finish the game with 11 players. Sunderland changed formation we stayed the same and paid the price. Jackett just stood there with his arms folded the whole night, where was plan b?
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

It was a good season but we have been sussed and next season we might not be so lucky. The top two got out of the league by playing football....

Sunderland won the tie because they could keep the football, we kept giving it away in the middle when trying to pass or when we just lumped it long.

That's where we need a different approach... Keep the football.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Pompey1985 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:44 am It was a good season but we have been sussed and next season we might not be so lucky. The top two got out of the league by playing football....

Sunderland won the tie because they could keep the football, we kept giving it away in the middle when trying to pass or when we just lumped it long.

Completely agree . Plus they seemed to win nearly all the 50/50 balls . Thanks to Kenny for stabilizing us as a league one team but it's time for a change imo
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey1985 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:44 am It was a good season but we have been sussed and next season we might not be so lucky. The top two got out of the league by playing football....

Agree up to a point. It's because we've been sussed that last night was good news: our squad is nowhere near good enough for the Championship, even with a few additions.

If we were promoted this year, we would have had one miserable season in the Championship and then probably (but not certainly) been back in Div 1.

KJ certainly improved our position this season but he still has much work to do. I'm happy to give him one more year.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

What planet are you guys on?
Sunderland`s wage bill makes ours look like small change. They are still receiving the parachute payments from the Premier League. This match was probably one too far for Pompey but what have we achieved this season? A Cup win and wonderful day out at Wembley. Four places higher this season than last. A top six position that most of us would have taken at the beginning of the season. 88 points which would have had us promoted in many seasons in the past. Club record Away Wins. Yes we did not get to the "Play Off" Final, yes we did not get promoted. Be realistic we would have struggled in the Championship next season without major investment (which would not happen). Lets regroup make some astute signings, lose Clarke for serious cash and use that to strengthen the areas that we all know need improving.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:23 pm What planet are you guys on?
Sunderland`s wage bill makes ours look like small change. They are still receiving the parachute payments from the Premier League. This match was probably one too far for Pompey but what have we achieved this season? A Cup win and wonderful day out at Wembley. Four places higher this season than last. A top six position that most of us would have taken at the beginning of the season. 88 points which would have had us promoted in many seasons in the past. Club record Away Wins. Yes we did not get to the "Play Off" Final, yes we did not get promoted. Be realistic we would have struggled in the Championship next season without major investment (which would not happen). Lets regroup make some astute signings, lose Clarke for serious cash and use that to strengthen the areas that we all know need improving.
Thank you. :thumb