Predict Pompey's Next Move in the Transfer Window

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Predict Pompey's Next Move in the Transfer Window

Post by Jack_Tinn »

What do you think will be the next transfer announcement from Pompey? (player joining or leaving)

So far there have been three players in, Bolton (RB), Downing (CB) and Harrison (FW) and two first team players out (Thompson (clearly not coming back!) and Clarke) and presumably about circa £3.0m left in the kitty. Donahue has left on a free as well and Bogle, Vaughan, Isgrove and Soloman-Otambor all left following their loan arrangements. So seven gone from the squad and three in so far. With Whatmaugh injured long term since the last window closed that is minus four in terms of squad depth.

I get to £3.0m in the transfer kitty on the basis of £3.0m net for Clarke before add ons and after paying Ipswich their 20% plus 0.5m for Chaplin last year minus £450k for Harrison from Ipswich. Since Pompey were offering decent money for Mo Eisa last year I think this net amount in the kitty seems fair enough post Clarke and Harrison.

Downing helps but the club still need a starting CB imho to pair with him so that Burgess becomes a solid backup and competes for a starting place. Whatmaugh is then a great bonus/akin to a January signing and whatever he adds next season is a bonus. A back up keeper is needed too if McGee leaves for first team football. I'd like to see an attacking midfielder and a true no.10 player (two signings), a left sided winger and another forward because Hawkins, Harrison and Pittman is not enough. Then add another right sided attacker/winger if Lowe leaves. Quite a bit to be still done I think with up to 4 new players before then covering any likely departures (McGee and Lowe). Some could arrive on loan but with the squad coming back together tomorrow to start pre-season training I am concerned that Pompey are behind the curve in terms of transfer activity this summer.

So what next? Monday is the start of the new season and free transfers can take place then. Have Pompey got a free transfer lined that that they have not announced yet? Curtis Nelson CB from Oxford perhaps? or the CB from Bristol Rovers perhaps? I would be happy with either but I suspect they are both headed to the Championship.

Pompey are linked with Tilt CB at Blackpool and Matt Godden at Peterborough . Peterborough seem willing to sell at the right price since he is not in the starting eleven and they have (ironically) just signed Mo Eisa for good money from Bristol City. Tilt seems like a good target but at 27 and with Blackpool wanting good money and the player good wages (allegedly) then this does not seem to fit the clubs recruitment policy and I can't see Blackpool being happy about selling one of their best players inside the division to Pompey. Godden is a goalscorer but lacks pace and height....a Pittman clone perhaps so this puzzles me somewhat since Pittman seems to be a square peg in Jackett's preferred formation.

I would like to see some more pace brought into the forward line, a creative midfielder to play the no.10 role that can link midfield to attack and is a goal threat from midfield (akin to Sean Longstaff: who I now see is now linked with Man Utd), and an experienced quality centre back. Thoughts?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: Predict Pompey's Next Move in the Transfer Window

Post by Locky_McLockface »

See, I disagree about Christian. I think he and Downing will make a good partnership.

We definitely need a left-footed left winger, so that we can mix it up between Curtis and whoever it is. RW is covered with Evans (assuming Lowe leaves), given that I think Pitman will be the preferred no.10. I'm not inspired by Godden. He started the season well, but faded badly, and there's a reason why Peterborough have brought in Eisa. Personally I'd like to see us sign Ivan Toney, but I don't think that will happen. Tom Eaves maybe.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Not a transfer, but Matt Casey has just signed on a one year deal with an option to extend.

Too early to tell just yet, but long term I think it could turn out to be our best signing in 2019.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

The club recently tweeted that they had to change the new signing graphic to " Welcome back to Fratton Park". . And then tweeted an Australian flag. My money is on Ryan Williams who has been released by Rotherham.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

rumourmonger wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:00 pm The club recently tweeted that they had to change the new signing graphic to " Welcome back to Fratton Park". . And then tweeted an Australian flag. My money is on Ryan Williams who has been released by Rotherham.
Now confirmed on OS on a 2 year contract.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:40 pm See, I disagree about Christian. I think he and Downing will make a good partnership.

We definitely need a left-footed left winger, so that we can mix it up between Curtis and whoever it is. RW is covered with Evans (assuming Lowe leaves), given that I think Pitman will be the preferred no.10. I'm not inspired by Godden. He started the season well, but faded badly, and there's a reason why Peterborough have brought in Eisa. Personally I'd like to see us sign Ivan Toney, but I don't think that will happen. Tom Eaves maybe.
I don't dislike Christian's game but when I watch him play he does not seem to me to play together with the other centre half very well, he simply does not play as a dominant CB that the other CB takes up a position off from (think Sol or Blake) or pair up with the left sided CB so that one is always covering the other (think Awford with Symons).

Ever seen Burgess go for a headed clearance and compete for it against the other CB? or Burgess and the other centre half looking at each other as if to say - where were you - following a chance being caused by a cross coming into the middle to a player who has gone unnoticed between them........well, that lack of pairing is the reason.

The other niggle I have is that Naylor last season drifted back into the back line when Pompey were under the cosh in a few games, which is not surprising considering he played the previous year as a centre half, but I didn't see either Burgess or Clarke tell him to "clear off" and shield the back four and not become part of it. The centre half is the one 'keeping the line' and can line up the defensive midfield shield as required to watch for runners and play-makers sitting in the hole. Both CB's last year did a poor job of helping Naylor stay in the right area of the pitch. Ben Thompson covered for this in the 1st half of the season by hunting for the ball but Close is not that type of player and Naylor's positioning last year left Close at times completely exposed and our midfield over run in the 2nd half of the season.

An example of this was the last goal scored against Pompey by Sunderland in the playoffs. The ball comes in from wide and is knocked out to just inside the penalty spot - and Naylor has drifted into too deep a position and is part of the back line - leaving Maguire with all the time in the World in the centre of the box to pick his spot. A really good CB would be saying to Naylor that Clarke, the keeper and I will cover the centre of the goal and you cover the penalty spot area and get to any 2nd ball.

A louder organisation/positional aware player in the back four last year would have meant fewer goals being conceded and conversely may have made the difference. Not an unfixable problem, something that can be taught and/or learnt through experience but it does not seem to come naturally for Burgess who, on his day, can be a very impressive centre half, but until this is resolved I fear that this will remain Pompey's achilles heel defensively.

Perhaps this is the reason that Pompey threw alot of money at Downing (according to Donny) who is 27 and is, I hope, that voice of experience and organisation in the back line that Clarke, Burgess and Whatmaugh were not.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I had a sense that a free transfer signing was about to be announced and thought it might be a wide player to give options down both flanks but did not have anyone on the radar at all.

I can't say I have seen him play but a 25 year old player with league 1 experience who likes to run at players and get the ball in from wide positions will fit in nicely to add something to allow Curtis and Lowe to take a breather or play through the middle at times too.

So that's RB,CB,ST and Winger signed. Still need another CB, an attacking midfielder and another forward. Peterborough want £750k for Godden but that seems a little high to me and you don't always get what you want.

I am going to say that CB is the next signing
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

These signings so far seem like a consolidation of our League One status rather than a determined bid for the Championship?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

New Forester wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:05 am These signings so far seem like a consolidation of our League One status rather than a determined bid for the Championship?
I believe you have to look at the bigger plan for Pompey - and Matt Clarke and Jamal Lowe are the blue print for that. The strategy seems to be to sign players 25 or under; on free transfers or for small money (Hawkins and Curtis) from lower leagues preferably who have some talent and unlock that potential. The club have done very well with Clarke and Lowe and they will more than offset a few signings that don't work out quite in the same way (Donahue).

You may then sell on these young players for good returns and with a future sell on fee and use this money to fund the on and off field development. On the playing field the goal is to make the Championship but not so much that the overall strategy is changed and the clubs' future is mortgaged. The target for KJ last season was to get the team in the top 6 and he hit that target, and added on a trophy win and a FA Cup run as well. I suspect the goal this season will be top 6 again but the club won't necessarily say so.

When the club gets to the Championship the strategy will change to one to stabilise there initially and that will need a larger financial investment from the Owners but the more background work that can be achieved now in building up the on and off field strength of the club will mean less heavy lifting in the Championship to achieve that. Eisner said as much when he pitched to acquire the club.

If you want Pompey to be signing proven Championship players at top money on an "all or nothing" approach to get out of League 1 then you are waiting for hell to freeze over first. Hence this off-season its £4m in for Clarke - one loan, three free transfers and a £450k purchase on a proven league one forward. Only the key CB signing that the club needs is over 26 years of age and he joins on a free. To be fair, all signings have either been promoted out of League 1 or made the L1 playoffs in successful teams and gone on to play at a higher level.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

As I said previously, the most important signing we could make this summer would be one to build a new stadium (or at least to secure a site for it).
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:27 am Peterborough want £750k for Godden but that seems a little high to me and you don't always get what you want.
And we've told them where to stick it, apparently.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I know it isn't going to happen, and I can understand why to an extent, but I really would like Pompey to pull a big signing out of the bag to get everyone really excited. A coup that makes a statement.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:39 pm I know it isn't going to happen, and I can understand why to an extent, but I really would like Pompey to pull a big signing out of the bag to get everyone really excited. A coup that makes a statement.
I would imagine that would be a forward? any suggestions?
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:43 am
PakefieldBlue wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:39 pm I know it isn't going to happen, and I can understand why to an extent, but I really would like Pompey to pull a big signing out of the bag to get everyone really excited. A coup that makes a statement.
I would imagine that would be a forward? any suggestions?
A bit left-field but I'd be looking at Wes Hoolahan - he is out of contract, ok so he is 37, but could have a Merson like impact on our team for 1 season, and a proper number 10.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Got to think that the next signing (after McCrorie today) will be a no.10 type player or another player to play up top with a bit of pace ala Harrison.

McGee seems destined to leave before the end of the month and being left off the plane to Ireland might suggest that a deal is imminent. Perhaps an experienced keeper will sign before the end of August on loan to at least Jan as back up to allow Bass to go out on loan and get some experience and playing time: ideally in League 2.

Really like the signing today of the holding midfielder from Rangers. Top prospect and impressed that Pompey could sign him. He and Naylor will be a strong force in the middle of the park and I could see him actually being a positive influence on Naylor in terms of maintaining his position even though he is the younger player.