Pittman's Future at Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Pittman's Future at Pompey

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I found the report of an interview with KJ today interesting when considering the future of Brett Pittman at Pompey. He had a really strong first season but last year could not get into the team ahead of Evans and Hawkins in a 4-2-3-1 and Harrison seems to have been signed to start as the no.9 with Hawkins as a more direct option. Pittman would seem to be 3rd choice therefore as the no.9

the interview with KJ strongly indicated that he is looking to sign a player to play as a no.10. KJ said he plan in the offseason was to bring in a new no.9 and new no.10 and that Pompey had three players in the no.10 position already and one of those would have to leave before someone could join. He went on and said that only Dennis is a true no.10 and that Evans and Pittman were pressed into duty last season in that role although it is perhaps not their natural position.....he then went on to praise Evans for getting 12 goals from that position and highlighted his ability to take set pieces (and I would also say cover other positions such as right side midfield, right back and also central midfield at a push).

Since Pompey gave Evans a new contract and Dennis is a younger (and cheaper) player who is a natural as a no.10 all signs point to Pittman as being the player KJ considers is at risk of leaving this off-season. I rate Pittman's finishing but I think if a new opportunity comes up for him it might be best for all concerned if he moved on and took that opportunity. It is simply not his game to be the sole striker leading the line or being the no.10 creative play maker in the centre of the field or a deep lying forward to run in beyond the no.9. He must be a high wage earner too.

It will be interesting to see how this develops before the start of the new season.