Ross McCrorie signing on Loan from Glasgow Rangers

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Ross McCrorie signing on Loan from Glasgow Rangers

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey have apparently won the race to sign 21 year old Ross McCrorie from Rangers on loan for the season.

He plays a holding midfielder primarily but has some ability to drop into CB (ala Naylor). He played 30 times for Rangers last year and is Scotland's U21 captain. The Rangers fans rate him but he wants to be playing regular first team football and Gerrard can't guarantee that to him so he has made him available for loan.

I think this is quite a coup for Pompey! I like Naylor's game and I think Close is a good young player but after Thompson left in January the midfield was never in control and often Pompey did not have a strong platform from which to play and to link defence to attack. Hence the comments about "hoof ball" which I heard from fans in the second half of the season which I did not hear when Thompson was playing and we were top of the league.

With Naylor and McCrorie in the middle of the field the midfield will be stronger (physically and defensively) and it will give the team a strong platform from which the defenders can play out from. It allows Morris, Close and Cannon as ball playing midfielders to play in front of these two with more license too.

He is clearly rated by the Rangers fans and generally:

https://www.rangersnews.uk/analysis/fan ... -mccrorie/
https://www.rangersnews.uk/transfer-new ... loan-exit/

I like this signing, and if reports are correct, Pompey are pushing for the option in the loan agreement to make the deal permanent at the end of the season and this would be a great option to have.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Ross McCrorie signing on Loan from Glasgow Rangers

Post by eltorrro »

Done deal!! This guy appears to be what we need..plus he rejected a late interjection from Blunderland...like the lad already. 8)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foo ... d-17477573
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Excellent news - and with an option to sign him at the end of the loan!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

The RanGers fans are well, 'Gerrrr' about the prospect of (a) him not playing for them next season and (b) potentially leaving permanently in a years time. always a good sign.

wonder how Edmundson feels now, totally get why he signed for Rangers instead of Pompey but then you see a lad who has come up through the youth ranks and is Rangers through and through, who played 30 times for them last season and who is basically the same age as you and he just left to further his career at League One Pompey. You'd think he might be scratching his head a little and at least wondering if he made the right decision after all.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:42 pm Excellent news - and with an option to sign him at the end of the loan!
Having seen the interview on OS, it seems that maybe there is no option to sign him permanently - still a good signing though.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:57 pm
Berkshire Blue wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:42 pm Excellent news - and with an option to sign him at the end of the loan!
Having seen the interview on OS, it seems that maybe there is no option to sign him permanently - still a good signing though.
the rumour from Scotland is the clubs agreed a clause that says that IF Rangers decide to sell him in a years time then Pompey have right of first refusal.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:37 am
Berkshire Blue wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:57 pm
the rumour from Scotland is the clubs agreed a clause that says that IF Rangers decide to sell him in a years time then Pompey have right of first refusal.
Jack T: Just a brief word of thanks to you and other posters for the comments over the last few weeks.

I really don't have anything to add. But I have found all the news, insights and comment from yourself and all the others on this site to be both interesting and helpful.

PUP
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I have a VERY good feeling about this signing. It's the one we've been waiting for. He is highly rated by Rangers fans, and has been quoted as being a future Rangers captain. Remember they said the same about Thompson?! Anyway, as others have said, him and Naylor together should be an upgrade as Close is too lightweight IMO. Now all we need is a proper No.10 and another decent striker and I am confident we will get promoted. PUP.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:20 am I have a VERY good feeling about this signing. It's the one we've been waiting for. He is highly rated by Rangers fans, and has been quoted as being a future Rangers captain. Remember they said the same about Thompson?! Anyway, as others have said, him and Naylor together should be an upgrade as Close is too lightweight IMO. Now all we need is a proper No.10 and another decent striker and I am confident we will get promoted. PUP.
Yeah, but you're always confident Bill :wink:
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:31 am
Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:20 am I have a VERY good feeling about this signing. It's the one we've been waiting for. He is highly rated by Rangers fans, and has been quoted as being a future Rangers captain. Remember they said the same about Thompson?! Anyway, as others have said, him and Naylor together should be an upgrade as Close is too lightweight IMO. Now all we need is a proper No.10 and another decent striker and I am confident we will get promoted. PUP.
Yeah, but you're always confident Bill :wink:
... and I''m sometimes right too Sherl ;-)
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I'm of the opinion that Close could make a good Number 10.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:31 pm I'm of the opinion that Close could make a good Number 10.
Reading down, I was just about to post the same.
greggager
Collins Mbesuma

Post by greggager »

Hi folks,

I am a rangers fan so can give you an insight into young ross. He is an absolute warrior, big strong young lad who doesnt shy away from anything. the reports have been cleared up but the option to buy isnt true, as gerrard has said himself he has big plans for ross in the future. I havent managed to catch too many pompey games lately so not quite sure what it is you guys have been lacking, but he is the kind of player who will sit in front of defenders and make their job easier, give opposition attacking midfielders a hard time.

I'll be keeping an eye on your results and how ross goes throughout the year, you guys are a great club and hopefully youll be back up where you belong soon :thumb :thumb
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

greggager wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:40 pm Hi folks,

I am a rangers fan so can give you an insight into young ross. He is an absolute warrior, big strong young lad who doesnt shy away from anything. the reports have been cleared up but the option to buy isnt true, as gerrard has said himself he has big plans for ross in the future. I havent managed to catch too many pompey games lately so not quite sure what it is you guys have been lacking, but he is the kind of player who will sit in front of defenders and make their job easier, give opposition attacking midfielders a hard time.

I'll be keeping an eye on your results and how ross goes throughout the year, you guys are a great club and hopefully youll be back up where you belong soon :thumb :thumb
thanks for the post. I think Pompey needs a midfielder who can play alongside Naylor and hunt the ball and harass the opposition's midfield
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

greggager wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:40 pm Hi folks,

Hi mate, appreciate the lowdown on Ross from a Rangers fan's perspective. Not the first time I have read such similar critique hence me being so excited about him joining. What we have been lacking is exactly the sort of player you are describing Ross as being. We had a similar version in Ben Thompson for the first half of last season. He was on loan from Millwall but taken back by his club in January. It is absolutely no coincidence that we were top of the league at the beginning of January but ended up missing out on promotion. Hopefully, Ross will be a big part of that missing link.