Cricket

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Cricket

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Surprised we have no posts on the WC but today was certainly not expected. Nothing much better than sending the cheating convicts home with a good drubbing
Div III. Call it what it is.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Cricket

Post by itsaintfunny »

I have been glued to TMS since lunch and an excellent all round performance from England.
Roll on The Ashes series and more of the same hopefully.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Have also been listening to part of the BBC TMS radio commentary: highly entertaining match, if a bit one-sided towards the end.

Let's hope both Roy and Bairstow remain fit for the final on Sunday.

I don't have Sky, who have exclusive tv broadcast rights in the UK - hence the BBC. However, I did watch some of the earalier NZ/India semi-final at the gym which does have a Sky subscription.

The BBC radio commentators and reviewers are better IMO. So, I will probably stick with the BBC sound commentary for the final.

However, the rumour that Sunday's final will also be on free-to-air television: probably on Channel 4.

So, maybe BBC sound coupled with Sky pictures....
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I've only got 3 people in the whole country to talk cricket with....the 2 Indian families that run my local convenience stores...….must be off....I need some milk and cigars.
Div III. Call it what it is.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The Final is going to be broadcast on mainline TV, Channel Four
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

Milton End wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:41 pm Have also been listening to part of the BBC TMS radio commentary: highly entertaining match, if a bit one-sided towards the end.

Let's hope both Roy and Bairstow remain fit for the final on Sunday.

I don't have Sky, who have exclusive tv broadcast rights in the UK - hence the BBC. However, I did watch some of the earalier NZ/India semi-final at the gym which does have a Sky subscription.

The BBC radio commentators and reviewers are better IMO. So, I will probably stick with the BBC sound commentary for the final.

However, the rumour that Sunday's final will also be on free-to-air television: probably on Channel 4.

So, maybe BBC sound coupled with Sky pictures....
Channel 4 will show Sky's cricket coverage from 09:00 BST before coverage moves to More 4 at 13:15 while the British Grand Prix airs on Channel 4. The cricket then returns to Channel 4 after the race.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48957255
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

So, just the Cricket WC Final, the British Grand Prix and the Wimbledon Men’s Final all happening at the same time on the same day.

All happening in a year that has no Olympics, no World Cup, no European Championship, no Commonwealth Games.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I've been glued to cricinfo for most of the series. I was on the train yesterday afternoon and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Sent the Aussies back with their tails well and truly between their legs. I know test cricket is a different beast, but with the Ashes coming up, that has to have an effect on their mindset.

Let's not ignore NZ, they've got to the final too. But Sunday should be a great day for us. Just need to keep Williamson out of the game I think.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Weybridge wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:37 am ... no World Cup...
Some women would like a word...
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'm mad about cricket and have watched most of the games, either at home or on my mobile on Sky Go. Yesterday I was out sea fishing so listened to TMS on the radio and I have to say it was superb, so good that I will probably watch Sunday's final on Sky (muted) with the radio on in the background. I very rarely predict England to win anything major, but I did say England would win the Rugby World Cup in 2003, and I predicted that we would win the cricket world cup before it all started. We must not underestimate NZ, but if we play to our all round ability, we will win it.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Remember the West Indies needing 19 off the last over? England, please don’t put us through it again. Set a 380 target then get them 10 for 3 and we can all relax. Provided Williamson is one of the three.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Not that I am in any way underestimating NZ. But, IF we win it, will we be the only country to ever win the three world cups of arguably the three biggest sports in the world: Football, Rugby, Cricket? I can't imagine any other country even being close to being able to do that.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Having followed all the major sports for over 70 years I have often thought that we are the best all round sporting nation. Just think not only about the major team sports but events from boxing, motor racing, cycling,rowing through to activities like snooker and darts. It’s in our genes to compete! And to watch excellence in action. Just look at the crowds we can turn out.
Remember London 2012?

And I’m expecting us to lose on Sunday. Probably on the equivalent of a penalty shoot out.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

I was right :(
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Nearly :thumb