Slowly does it

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Slowly does it

Post by PakefieldBlue »

It seems that plenty of Pompey fans are getting on the back of the Eisners for not splashing the cash and accusing them of pocketing moment. Personally I like the sensible approach they are taking and think that in Mark Catlin we have one of the best CEOs in the football world.

This article is interesting, and shows that last season we really did over-achieve if our playing budget is around £5 million compared to Sunderland's £15 million.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2019/7 ... -issue-why
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Slowly does it

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Yeah...you gotta try to bank money for stadium issues and to be ready for a return to the championship. Besides that, Blunderland were / are still on prem parachute payments so you cant really compare budgets. On top of that, their average home attendance is 14000 higher and in a newish stadium which I'm sure does a better job of gleaning match day income.
Plus I thought the Eisners were fairly clear at takeover.....slow / steady / sensible progress
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm Yeah...you gotta try to bank money for stadium issues and to be ready for a return to the championship. Besides that, Blunderland were / are still on prem parachute payments so you cant really compare budgets. On top of that, their average home attendance is 14000 higher and in a newish stadium which I'm sure does a better job of gleaning match day income.
Plus I thought the Eisners were fairly clear at takeover.....slow / steady / sensible progress
This is an interesting read about Sunderland finances.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2019/7 ... -issue-why
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

I occasionally check various Pompey forums and this one seems to be one of the more reasonable ones :thumb

I agree with how the club is being run at the moment. Catlin's video updates are very welcome and informative. It's just a shame that there are people who either don't watch them or are so anti-Eisner's that they don't want to hear them. But as of late June we'd sold nearly 14,000 season tickets so these people are in the minority big style it seems.

I think it's just vocal few. Have read a few comments elsewhere about how 'this could all have been done under fan ownership' when it couldn't. The Trust did fantastic work but didn't plan for the future. They came up with a plan when the Eisner's became a serious contender to buy the club - but that was way too late and should've been proposed a year or 2 before.

Anyway, I'm happy to see the University on the club shirts. No owners are perfect but I'm fine with our current ones.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

NSRailings wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am I occasionally check various Pompey forums and this one seems to be one of the more reasonable ones :thumb

I agree with how the club is being run at the moment. Catlin's video updates are very welcome and informative. It's just a shame that there are people who either don't watch them or are so anti-Eisner's that they don't want to hear them. But as of late June we'd sold nearly 14,000 season tickets so these people are in the minority big style it seems.

I think it's just vocal few. Have read a few comments elsewhere about how 'this could all have been done under fan ownership' when it couldn't. The Trust did fantastic work but didn't plan for the future. They came up with a plan when the Eisner's became a serious contender to buy the club - but that was way too late and should've been proposed a year or 2 before.

Anyway, I'm happy to see the University on the club shirts. No owners are perfect but I'm fine with our current ones.
Welcome to this MB! If your first post is anything to go by, please stick around and contribute. We could do with some 'fresh blood'!
Anyway, I actually agree with your post. There seem to be a very vociferous (I believe) minority of fans who obviously don't want the Eisners in charge. Many of them must have very short memories, as we really must not go back to the bad old days of debt. I believe some of the anti-Eisner brigade would be anti any owners other than the trust - they really liked to be able to say they owned their own club. I get that to a point, but we were going nowhere without the backing of the Eisners so not quite sure what their issue is. I do, however, worry about the consequences if this season is not a success, especially if we don't get off to a good start, as I could see it getting very toxic very quickly. Finally, you are right about the ST sales, as they have now SOLD OUT! Incredible really for a L1 club.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

My heart bleeds for them and they still didn't get promoted with all that money, they should try spending all the parachute money on getting rid of players and being put into administration twice by dodgy owners. When I came out of Wembley I heard some sunderland fan going on about what terrible fans we are and how we'd been in league one for years doing nothing, he wants to try having to put his hands in his pockets and save his club with his own money as us "terrible" fans had to. I think a touch of reality will do them good.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I don't get the criticism of the Eisner's / Torante group either. I agree with the brick by brick approach that they set out right from the outset and are actually only therefore living up to the promises they have made.

When I consider the line up of owners the club have had over the last forty years I can only think of Milan Mandaric as being up there with the Eisners and I could argue that there are a few issues with Milan's time at the helm, for example he seemed to have quite the need for the limelight himself and clashed with a few managers and he sold the club onto Gaydamek that actually wasn't the smartest move in hindsight because the 'living beyond ones means' that Milan started, and Gaydamek accelerated, under Storrie's stewardship I might add, caused the collapse of the club and left the club on the operating table flat lining before the fans stepped in to perform lifesaving CPR.

So, as a serious questions to those that knock the Eisner's approach - Who has been a better owner of the club in your lifetime and why?

I agree with the comment that the fan group could have achieved broadly what the team has on the field - the money earnt this year from the transfer of Clarke and any potential sale of Lowe is a harvest sown from the seeds of fan ownership - and the Trust deserve all the credit for that. Indeed the Eisner's said in their pitch for the club that the club could compete in L1 and L2 very well under fan ownership but there were two issues that fan ownership could not resolve.

The first is the maintenance cost of a loved but antique football ground. That is before you even consider the cost of developing said ground to maximise capacity and improve the match day experience. Those that complain I am sure don't moan about the new jumbroscreen, or new roof on the South Stand or that sections of the ground are actually being opened up for new capacity and not being closed because they no longer have a health and safety certificate as inevitably would have happened without millions going into long overdue works on the ground to keep it open basically.

The second is that WHEN the club get back to the Championship it will find that the playing budget will need to increase by up to 10x to be able to compete in that league and the extra revenue that comes from being in the Championship does not even come close to bridging that divide.

The Eisner's actually said at the time they were looking to buy the club if you are happy as fans being a big club in the lower two leagues who might then get to the Championship one year and then fall back again to L1 then the fans should not sell the club to them. If the fans however want to get the Championship and then stabilise there and then push on to try and get into the Premier again then they can't do that under fan ownership and they will need to sell to someone. The question therefore is do you sell to a group that wants to build incrementally and sustainably or do you want to sell to someone that will take a high risk approach and throw money at the issue and if it doesn't work immediately for the club it is likely to find itself bankrupt ....and the cycle will repeat itself and back down the leagues Pompey will go.

I don't see any evidence of Torrante pocketing the money from the sale of Clarke (as some have alleged) and if Lowe is sold then I agree that the club need to get in a high quality forward to replace him and they may mean spending six figures on an exciting talent in L1 or L2 that the club truly believes will bring the firepower to propel Pompey into the Championship and/or is a wise investment for the future in terms of a resale value (Marcus Maddison at Peterborough for example)
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

This anti Eisner sh*t is getting on my nerves as well. The `Moaners` have absolutely no idea of the economics involved in running a solvent business. They expect the Owners to plow in cash `willy nilly`. The way Pompey are being run now is vastly superior to the `Banana Republic` methods of previous Regimes. We should be able to mount a positive campaign this season to get out of this Division. It will not be easy and not the assumption that we are too big for this League. However we are in a position if things do not go as planned to spend some money in January. Be patient is the message, the Guys in charge know what they are doing!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 am Welcome to this MB! If your first post is anything to go by, please stick around and contribute. We could do with some 'fresh blood'!
Anyway, I actually agree with your post. There seem to be a very vociferous (I believe) minority of fans who obviously don't want the Eisners in charge. Many of them must have very short memories, as we really must not go back to the bad old days of debt. I believe some of the anti-Eisner brigade would be anti any owners other than the trust - they really liked to be able to say they owned their own club. I get that to a point, but we were going nowhere without the backing of the Eisners so not quite sure what their issue is. I do, however, worry about the consequences if this season is not a success, especially if we don't get off to a good start, as I could see it getting very toxic very quickly. Finally, you are right about the ST sales, as they have now SOLD OUT! Incredible really for a L1 club.
Thanks Selsey. I take it you live that way? The beach is a great place to be on a sunny morning.

I think most supporters just want to see a team that gives 100% each game and tries to play some football. I remember a game when Cook was in charge that ended with boos because they just didn't try - and that seemed to kick everyone up the arris. Can't remember who we were playing but it was not long after Xmas. So yes if the team isn't trying and there some obvious tactical errors being made then I agree supporters will turn.

And I agree BlueinPLtwenty - some people have no idea how to run a business properly no matter how many times Catlin etc explain things openly. Catlin explains how transfer money is used in the latest update.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I think a sense of perspective is required here peeps. I see "moaners & whingers" being used. IMO its not its people questioning.
Questioning why after 2 yrs there is virtually zero movement on the biggest issue facing PFC-the ground. New cladding & a new big screen don't cut it for me, the 1st comes in under "essential maintenance".
Questioning why after the big pitch about developing our own players @ the Guildhall ( I was there) the promises about academy funding hasn't happened, on that subject Dave Wright & co have all left because promises weren't kept. I find this very worrying, not whining or whinging but worrying.
HAB-problems with their veto still not sorted out.
Ticket Office is still a shambles.
Look I voted for the takeover, I would still but I have doubts I'm not going to lie.
Tornante aren't our mates, they are businessmen. The only thing that stays the same @ PFC is the fans purely & simply, some would do well to remember that before calling out other fans. Blue tinted specs-I think that's a throwaway remark that's aimed @ some, but what I think is there are some that are happy to just go along with whatever happens or doesn't for that matter.
In that case it was a good job that some fans asked questioned multiple times in the last 10 years-we wouldn't be where we are without them.
I want & hope Tornante to be the best owners we've ever had-barring the PST. But the BIG ISSUES holding PFC back are still there & because of whats happened before to PFC some of us are a little cynical. Rightly imho.
Signings wise I think we're getting it about right although the worry is with Lowe leaving how will we find those 17 goals & 10 assists for next season. I don't envy KJ & MC trying to find a replacement that fits out rigid wage structure.
PUP PPU
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

NSRailings wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:46 am Thanks Selsey. I take it you live that way? The beach is a great place to be on a sunny morning.
I was born and bred in Selsey and lived there for the first 15 years of my life.
NSRailings wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:46 am I think most supporters just want to see a team that gives 100% each game and tries to play some football. I remember a game when Cook was in charge that ended with boos because they just didn't try - and that seemed to kick everyone up the arris. Can't remember who we were playing but it was not long after Xmas. So yes if the team isn't trying and there some obvious tactical errors being made then I agree supporters will turn.
I suspect you are talking about the Crewe game in Feb 17 that we lost 1-0 at home. After that debacle we went on our amazing run culminating in winning the league.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Not ashamed to say I voted against the Tornante takeover, but I'm happy with how they're running the club. As I've said previously, I'd also settle for League 1 football for a few more years if they deliver on a new stadium (in that timeframe) that provides the infrastructure (and income) to support sustainable growth.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 pm Not ashamed to say I voted against the Tornante takeover, but I'm happy with how they're running the club. As I've said previously, I'd also settle for League 1 football for a few more years if they deliver on a new stadium (in that timeframe) that provides the infrastructure (and income) to support sustainable growth.
Sherl, you've always been transparent in your thoughts about our beloved club - a very endearing trait. I also love your total commitment to the 'new stadium' cause. Not sure you and I will see that in our lifetimes, though would be amazing - should have happened 40 years ago when we had a genuine opportunity. Anyway, would love to see you at the old lady some time this season so DM me some time if you are available as I often have a spare seat (one son away at Uni, the other working some Saturdays). Would love to treat you mate.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 pm Not ashamed to say I voted against the Tornante takeover, but I'm happy with how they're running the club. As I've said previously, I'd also settle for League 1 football for a few more years if they deliver on a new stadium (in that timeframe) that provides the infrastructure (and income) to support sustainable growth.
I have to say that I don't see a long term future at FP, emotion aside there is not the space nor transport infrastructure to support the size of stadium that the supporters of the club deserve and which will mean that the club can generate the income to make them competitive in the higher leagues
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm
Sherl, you've always been transparent in your thoughts about our beloved club - a very endearing trait. I also love your total commitment to the 'new stadium' cause. Not sure you and I will see that in our lifetimes, though would be amazing - should have happened 40 years ago when we had a genuine opportunity. Anyway, would love to see you at the old lady some time this season so DM me some time if you are available as I often have a spare seat (one son away at Uni, the other working some Saturdays). Would love to treat you mate.
Jolly decent of you to offer, Bill. Having retired at the end of last month there are now fewer demands on my weekends so I may well take you up on your kind offer, if only because it would be good to catch up after so long :thumb