Should we resign Nathan Thompson ?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Melbourne Graham
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Should we resign Nathan Thompson ?

Post by Melbourne Graham »

Now that he is back training with us should we be tempted to take him back and get the “Thompson dive” back or just say thanks but no thanks

I was a fan of Nathan and would have liked him to stay but don’t think I would take him back after he walked away from us.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Should we resign Nathan Thompson ?

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Decisions were made. We moved on. Walkes and Bolton deserves their chances.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I liked Nathan Thompson, and will be forever grateful for his Wembley goal in particular, but I'm not sure it would send out the right message taking him back. Who knows what went on, but I do blame his agent a little in all of this - not sure he gave his client the best advice. I'm also not sure he is Championship quality, and it appears most of that league's clubs feel the same as he hasn't been snapped up by one of them yet! I think he would get done to easily for pace for starters. However, if we suddenly heard that Bolton's injury was serious and long term, then I would consider his return, but on our terms.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:34 pm However, if we suddenly heard that Bolton's injury was serious and long term, then I would consider his return, but on our terms.
Still wouldn't. Walkes, Evans and Haunstrup would be enough for me. Spend any available money in January when we might need a serious boost.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

No, sorry.

Nathan had an offer on the table and he turned it down, walked away from the club and his wages were reassigned to Bolton basically. It was entirely his choice because he was convinced that he could get better. He may have been let down by someone or some club but it was not Pompey.

We need to know if Walkes can develop into the right back we need and let Bolton push him and to provide cover.

We don't need to resign Nathan Thompson because we don't need three right backs in the squad and Evans can provide cover there quite adequately in L1 if Bolton and Walkes are both unavailable.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Not for me, he had the opportunity to sign for us, thought he could do better and it has spectacularly back fired on him, we have since moved on, would be disappointed to see him back as i would have to question his commitment and it wouldn't take long for the crowd to get on his back which would bring negativity into the atmosphere and the side.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I was impressed by Walkes on Tuesday, and also in the warm up games that he played.

I think that he has made a step up so far this season, and long may it continue.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

What Selsey Bill said for me. Hope Nathan gets a club soon but we've got Bolton & Anton in ft of him now on the right hand side of defence. 2 players covering the FB position on both sides is more than adequate.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Personally I'd snap him up and put him in the team. As Selsey said, he's almost certainly been misled by his agent and, like the majority of footballers, he thinks he's better than he is. Get his signature and play him. He's way better than Walkes....
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Earl Grey wrote:Personally I'd snap him up and put him in the team. As Selsey said, he's almost certainly been misled by his agent and, like the majority of footballers, he thinks he's better than he is. Get his signature and play him. He's way better than Walkes....
3 things spring to mind EG.
1. what message would that send out?
2. is he way better than Bolton?
3. why do some have it in for Anton Walkes. Thought he was vg the other night, didn't have much too do but what he did he did well including some lovely skill down by the NS touchline. Yet people still insist he's carp-he clearly isn't & the more games he plays the better he gets. Also he's athletic & quick. He'll become a vg footballer IMHO.

Nathan has been led up the garden path by his agent but he'll get a club. But he's hardly trained or had a pre season so how would he be able to just be thrown back in.

Actually that's 4 but still relevant I reckon.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

pompeygunner wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:20 am
Earl Grey wrote:Personally I'd snap him up and put him in the team. As Selsey said, he's almost certainly been misled by his agent and, like the majority of footballers, he thinks he's better than he is. Get his signature and play him. He's way better than Walkes....
3 things spring to mind EG.
1. what message would that send out?
2. is he way better than Bolton?
3. why do some have it in for Anton Walkes. Thought he was vg the other night, didn't have much too do but what he did he did well including some lovely skill down by the NS touchline. Yet people still insist he's carp-he clearly isn't & the more games he plays the better he gets. Also he's athletic & quick. He'll become a vg footballer IMHO.

Nathan has been led up the garden path by his agent but he'll get a club. But he's hardly trained or had a pre season so how would he be able to just be thrown back in.

Actually that's 4 but still relevant I reckon.
I respect your opinion and his good qualities are that he's quick and can do a last ditch tackle really well as he did at Norwich last term in the FA Cup but I can't help but feel the ball is like a hot potato when it gets to him. Today he showed both sides of his skill set with a great sprint to hold off an attacker first half and a wonderful last ditch tackle at the Fratton End. But he also was pretty woeful at times when he got the ball and looked like he'd lose it as soon as he got it.
As to your other points, Bolton may be excellent so let's hope he is....as for sending out messages I'm not sure anyone else would be in that situation so not sure it's a problem.....as for no pre-season that's a good point...no comeback for that one so maybe he'd have to be gently introduced.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

From seeing Bolton play at Shrewsbury and Walkes play yesterday, yes we do need Thomson back.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I believe that KJ said in his post match interview that Bolton was injured by a bad tackle shortly after coming on at Shrewsbury, but had to continue as best he could as all subs had been used and we were already down to 10 men. Apologies if that is incorrect.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Good player and would be a benefit for the team but agree with what others have said. Club culture is everything to me. Short term benefit is not worth risking upsetting the club. Same reason why I don’t hire based purely on experience and skill. Having someone fit in and fit the team is just as if not more important in the long term.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I'd offer him a rolling monthly contract for the rest of the season. He's good, committed and can cover a number of positions.

He certainly proved his worth last season, and as long as the rest of the squad are ok with him, I think we'd be fools to pass up the opportunity.

He wanted to leave for the same reason as Clarke and Lowe - a better deal in a higher league. I doubt there's a professional player in the country who doesn't think about that on a regular basis.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."