Fratton Park

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Fratton Park

Post by Milton End »

Just seen the extended interview with Michael Eisner conducted prior to last Saturday's opening home match - it's on the PFC website.

A really interesting interview that reflects on the Tornante two years of ownership. Much of it re-confirms the Eisner commitment to Pompey. But there is one interesting new angle that I personally had not previously seen anywhere else.

Mr Eisner is clearly committed to retaining Fratton Park if possible. In addition to general improvements for health and safety, etc. he makes a brief reference to a totally new development: a bridge that links Fratton Park directly with the train station. It avoids the need for supporters arriving by train to dodge traffic along Goldsmith Avenue on their way to the ground.

Tornante are currently in negotiation both with the Porstmouth City Council and the railway authorities, if I have understood the brief mention correcly.

Anyone know more about this?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Fratton Park

Post by Pompey1985 »

I heard that and thought if they are talking to the railway authorities, assuming network rail it's either about changes to the railway line and or station or some land they own in the vicinity of Fratton Park.

I have a feeling that they will want to do more than just improve the ground... When you go to the cinema there is always restaurants and bars around... An entertainment complex if you will.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey1985 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 pm I heard that and thought if they are talking to the railway authorities, assuming network rail it's either about changes to the railway line and or station or some land they own in the vicinity of Fratton Park.

I have a feeling that they will want to do more than just improve the ground... When you go to the cinema there is always restaurants and bars around... An entertainment complex if you will.
Suspect that you're absolutely correct: it will be an entertainment complex of some kind.

From another very brief comment in the interview, I suspect that it will also include extensive car parking, though where that would go I have no idea!

Perhaps PFC could acquire the extensive land currently occupied by the massive DIY store? This is adjacent to the railway track and would also provide plenty of room for both entertainment and parking. But it still does not resolve how they might extend the seating capacity in Fratton Park itself.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey1985 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 pm I heard that and thought if they are talking to the railway authorities, assuming network rail it's either about changes to the railway line and or station or some land they own in the vicinity of Fratton Park.

Apparently its about the footpath that runs behind units down Goldsmith Ave, council have raised concerns that bigger capacity means more people walking in the road after FT.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Watch this space 😏
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times