Set Piece Delivery

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Set Piece Delivery

Post by Pompey1985 »

Woeful today.

Anton Walkes needs to learn to pass the ball to where a player is running... Not where he was stood.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Set Piece Delivery

Post by New Forester »

After last season’s tension. I’m beginning to feel more relaxed. I think we will have to settle for a comfortable position in the upper half of the league. As well as the crossing, our finishing isn’t sharp. Nothing seems to be clicking in the last third. I don’t see Sunderland as promotion contenders either.

What with the cricket and rugby it’s not been a good day so far.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

I was there and both fullbacks were woeful. Walkes, as noted giving the ball away, and Brown’s set pieces pissed off players and fans alike. Both looked flat footed and both were sloppy.

McCrorie was brighter when he came on.

Harness offered much much more than Curtis who was barely in the game.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

... and chips wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:21 pm I was there and both fullbacks were woeful. Walkes, as noted giving the ball away, and Brown’s set pieces pissed off players and fans alike. Both looked flat footed and both were sloppy.

I was watching it on TV, and our back four were woeful, possibly being a bit harsh on Downing there.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

The full backs just didn't get past the wingers often enough.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

Our crosses either go directly out of play or are easily caught by the keeper. As compared with that wicked whipped corner by Man City which led to their disallowed goal.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

It wasn't that bad yesterday, but we didn't trouble their keeper enough, much the same as big parts of last season.

Do we have too many similar midfielders? Are we still in for Herbie Kane? Tuesday I'd like to see a couple of changes.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Selsey Bill wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:45 pm
... and chips wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:21 pm I was there and both fullbacks were woeful. Walkes, as noted giving the ball away, and Brown’s set pieces pissed off players and fans alike. Both looked flat footed and both were sloppy.

I was watching it on TV, and our back four were woeful, possibly being a bit harsh on Downing there.
I agree - Raggett and Bolton in for me vs Coventry on Tuesday for Burgess and Walkes. I am quite shocked at how poor Walkes passing and crossing is given that he was brought up in Spurs youth system. He is a strong and pacey right back but must have feet shaped like a tolberone!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Walkes was the same against Brum, couldn't give it to Harness.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Beckham became one of the best `crossers` of the ball because he practiced for hours after everyone (apart from the Nevilles & others) had gone home following training. He continued to do that for virtually all of his career, like Ronaldo and many other top footballers. Practice, practice and more practice, some of our players should take a leaf out of that book!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 am Beckham became one of the best `crossers` of the ball because he practiced for hours after everyone (apart from the Nevilles & others) had gone home following training. He continued to do that for virtually all of his career, like Ronaldo and many other top footballers. Practice, practice and more practice, some of our players should take a leaf out of that book!
Was it Gary Player who once said: "The more I practice, the luckier I get"

I often wonder what some of our players actually do in training week in, week out. I managed my youngest son's youth football team for the last three years (up until U18's) and all we had was one hour and a half training session weekly. Once we had done about 30 minutes of fitness, we used to practice free kicks and corners religiously, with the forwards taking on the defence. Well, would you believe it, we started scoring more and more goals, especially from corners, and at the same time conceding less and less. We won the league last year. We weren't the most talented footballing team, but we were the most organised!