QPR v Pompey - BFTG

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

QPR v Pompey - BFTG

Post by Selsey Bill »

Just back from the game so thought I'd make a few observations. Firstly, we deserved to win that game and our reward, oh my! Both very excited and nervous about the next round, but fantastic news for our club, just not the local coppers. We were on the train between Shepherds Bush and Clapham Junction as the draw for the next round was taking place, and when we and they came out of the hat the whole carriage literally went mental! I didn't even realise half of them were Pompey until that moment. The rest of the passengers looked bewildered!
On to the game. I really like Loftus Road, and have been more than half a dozen times, but this is the first time I can remember us beating them. As our players walked out one in particular was greeted by Scotland's No. 1 - that chant actually continued throughout the match whenever Big Mac touched the ball. Jackett had set up the team with Naylor playing CB alongside Downing, Burgess at RB and Haunstrup at LB. It worked! Players of note for me: Naylor was outstanding, and completely controlled the back four. He looked our best CB so far this season, interesting as he doesn't usually play there for us. Downing looked a totally different(ie better) player without Raggett alongside him. Haunstrup had a very solid game and I can see Brown struggling to get his place back, and Burgess did OK in his role. My other standout was Ross McCrorie who I thought was our classiest player. He created our second goal, and did so much apart from that. Love his attitude and competitive nature. I also thought Harness was yet again superb, he has very quick feet, but has so much more than just that to offer. Another massive mention goes to John Marquis - he is almost too good for us. His work rate, attitude, etc, is unbelievable - once this team click properly , our front 4 / 5 could be incredible, and I can see John getting 20+ goals this season. Weak links ( a bit harsh) for me tonight were Close and Evans. But on a much more positive note, I forgot to mention Andy Cannon. He came on for Evans and HAS to start in our next game. He was superb, almost single-handedly turned the game towards the end. I know it was just one game, but when this lot get their act together, I think we will be very good. Just hope Kenny knows how to get us there.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: QPR v Pompey - BFTG

Post by RubiconCSL »

Mine and Rubi jnrs first match in quite a long while and boy was it worth it! I hardly knew any of the players if I'm honest.

I thought we were outclassed for the first 20-25 minutes. Our number 10 (is that Marquis?) didn't seem to win anything, especially against their bald-headed defender (whatever his name is). But then, he never really looked like he put him under any pressure; in fact, none of ours was getting stuck in and making it difficult for their players. Funny how SB had a very different view to both of ours of the same player, but I guess that could be down to how little I watch the team nowadays, so I don't see the bigger picture. Centre of midfield was particularly weak for me and we really did need to get the ball out wide. Then we came gradually into the game. We were getting some good possession but without really looking like we'd score. I was liking Harness on the wing and McCrorie was now causing all sorts of problems for them - as PnC would say, I liked the cut of their jibs! I was, in the end though, glad to see us get to half-time 0-0.

Second half we came out as we'd finished the first and looked like we could cause an upset. As SB says, Cannon made a HUGE difference. We then had three influential players on the field. QPR also made two changes at the same point and (although I don't know their players) from the reaction of the (up to that time almost silent) home crowd, they must have been more senior players. So they must have been getting worried that we were in the ascendency. But they really didn't make much of an impact. In fact, taking off sayi-Samuel looked a bad decision, as he'd been one of their best players for me. Our defence was (for the most part) looking very solid. There was one big chance QPR got when (I think it was) Naylor went to sleep. Their striker ran right past him in the box, had a very good chance from all of 6 to 8 yards and totally fluffed it. They also got a great cross in for a header, which thankfully went straight at "Scotland's number one". As the second half progressed, Pompey really took the game by the scruff of the neck - mainly I think due to Cannon's presence. We were now winning the 50-50 tackles, putting them under pressure when they had the ball and we were actually exciting to watch. Marquis redeemed himself (to Rubi jnr and me anyway), won the penalty and popped it in the net. I was still a bit nervous, but Harness put those fears to rest 5 minutes later with a nicely worked goal (I think it was a McCrorie cross). They did get a late goal, after the officials had somehow found 4 minutes of time to add on. However, after the home crowd had managed to wake itself up and cheer at long last, it was disallowed for offside. That would have made the last 2 or 3 minutes a bit uncomfortable.

The away support was excellent as usual; I always find it a pleasure to follow my team away from home. I love the banter, the songs, the constant Southampton hatred fired chants. From the pub before the match, the walk to the stadium, the match itself and the walk back to the tube afterwards. I do miss it!

I think in the end we did deserve the win, even though QPR missed a couple of really good chances. I'm quite excited by what KJ has put together, now I've seen them play. There is work to do, but I think once they gel and KJ finds everyone's best position, we could have a good outfit here.

I like Loftus Road. A bit like FP to me. One of the old style grounds. Compact, crowd close to the field and (if the home fans had taken part) I reckon you can get a really good atmosphere going there. Last time I was there was in 2011 (I can hardly believe it was that long ago). We lost 2-0 that day, but made up for it today.

Next round? Well, the crowd had been signing "...you dirty scummers, we're coming for you" all evening and hey-presto!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Two great posts. Thanks! Bag packed for Blackpool.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:00 am Naylor was outstanding, and completely controlled the back four. He looked our best CB so far this season, interesting as he doesn't usually play there for us.
I think Naylor played virtually all of his last season At Burton Albion at CB as they were short in that position. That was in the Championship, so he has quite a bit of experience there (even if it ended badly for Burton that season).
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Thanks guys. The centre-back issue is an interesting one, I feel that KJ should have sorted it out in pre-season but I guess until they are tested in competitive games then it is hard to tell how they will fare. Can't see Burgess at RB for long, surely not mobile enough?

Sounds like things are beginning to click, last night was a good confidence boost - now to get some league wins on the board.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Thanks for the BFTG posts. Really interesting

Really interesting and my takeaways from these are:

1. that the defence is still a work in progress with RB and LCB still to be settled but Downing is the RCB clearly;
2. McCrorie is by far the best CM player we have and should be the playing as such every week;
3. A place has to be found in the midfield for Cannon who adds bite and industry to the midfield;
4. Harness is an impressive young player and an excellent signing by Pompey. More than adequate replacement for Jamal Lowe so far;
5. This squad is by far the most talented assembled by Pompey in years. KJ just has to get the blend right in the starting xi;
6. The injury to Brown has created an opportunity for Haunstrup who looks capable of taking it;
7. Burgess played well at RB (surprisingly) but we do need a RB who can be a factor when joining in attacks. TF is still open so fingers crossed; and
8. The next round of the cup should be a spicy affair!
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I thought Burgess did pretty well. He did get up field several times and (to me) looked quite comfortable there. I certainly didn't see them exploiting him as a weakness. As I said in my BFTG, Osayi-Samuel looked a very tricky player. He was operating down that wing and I didn't see Burgess noticeably struggling.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

RubiconCSL wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:57 am
......QPR also made two changes at the same point and (although I don't know their players) from the reaction of the (up to that time almost silent) home crowd, they must have been more senior players. So they must have been getting worried that we were in the ascendency. But they really didn't make much of an impact. In fact, taking off sayi-Samuel looked a bad decision, as he'd been one of their best players for me. Our defence was (for the most part) looking very solid. There was one big chance QPR got when (I think it was) Naylor went to sleep. Their striker ran right past him in the box, had a very good chance from all of 6 to 8 yards and totally fluffed it. They also got a great cross in for a header, which thankfully went straight at "Scotland's number one"......
Thanks for the BFG reports - always interesting.

Just to add to one point about QPR, I was listening to Alan McLoughlin on BBC Radio Solent last night.

He said that QPR initially made seven changes from the team that won against Wigan at the weekend. In the second half, QPR then brought on three new players - all from the first team with the aim of winning the game. However, QPR also moved to a diamond formation and McL said that this did not work well.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:19 am
7. Burgess played well at RB (surprisingly) but we do need a RB who can be a factor when joining in attacks. TF is still open so fingers crossed; and
We still have James Bolton to come back from injury. I'll happily see Burge there until we can see what Bolton is capable of.

Assuming Bolton is up to scratch (and all the talk from Shrewsbury forums was that they were gutted to lose him), it looks to me like a Downing and Burgess pairing at CB and either Brown or Haunstrup on the left, leaving McRorie and Naylor in the middle, Cannon at 10, Harness and Curtis wide and Marquis up top.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

KJ seems to really like Ben Close, so moving Naylor back allows him to play Close and McCrorie in holding midfield, hopefully with Cannon in front of them. It will be interesting to see how it settles down in the end.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

VG win last night, wasn't there but from what I hear we deserved it. Bit of a tactical shake up that worked by KJ so big plus. Burgess is a solid pro, people had misgivings before the game about him @ RB but I thought he'd be ok there. Like the look of Marquis, no fuss just puts the ball away. Harness from the highlights was outstanding.
The draw in the next round-ha ha. Just had to be I guess.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

pompeygunner wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:34 pm VG win last night, wasn't there but from what I hear we deserved it. Bit of a tactical shake up that worked by KJ so big plus. Burgess is a solid pro, people had misgivings before the game about him @ RB but I thought he'd be ok there. Like the look of Marquis, no fuss just puts the ball away. Harness from the highlights was outstanding.
The draw in the next round-ha ha. Just had to be I guess.
I think a lot of people had the same misgivings with Hreidarsson at Left Back, but it worked out fine. And he was far more of a renegade figure than Burgess!

Naylor and Downing definitely look our best pairing at the back though.

During our preseason, I had a few doubts over the strength of our friendly opposition - and I think thats beginning to show now. We kind of ambled through the fixtures, picking win after win without really testing ourselves against par teams or better. I still think we look a quality side on paper, with skill and pace all over the pitch - but its going to take us a little longer to get up to full speed.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Weybridge wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:50 pm
During our preseason, I had a few doubts over the strength of our friendly opposition - and I think thats beginning to show now. We kind of ambled through the fixtures, picking win after win without really testing ourselves against par teams or better. I still think we look a quality side on paper, with skill and pace all over the pitch - but its going to take us a little longer to get up to full speed.
I get that about the Hawks and Woking, but Crawley and Stevenage aren't that shabby.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:26 pm
I get that about the Hawks and Woking, but Crawley and Stevenage aren't that shabby.
... and let's not forget the Irish team we thumped
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:15 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:26 pm
... and let's not forget the Irish team we thumped
Hmmm, yes, that was a complete waste of both teams' time.

But when is it ever different? We always play against the usual non-league suspects, and a couple from the div below. Usually we'll play a "bigger" team from the Prem, but couldn't this year due to the pitch works at FP. When have we played a team from our div, or the one above, in a recent pre-season?