Change of captain and vice captain

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Change of captain and vice captain

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Any thoughts?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Change of captain and vice captain

Post by Selsey Bill »

I have quite strong thoughts on this! Only my opinion, but I think Pitman has been a terrible captain, both on and off the pitch, and in terms of his leadership skills Evans hasn't been much better, if at all. It's just the timing of it all that is strange, but I suspect both have made their feelings felt to Kenny in recent weeks and he has reacted accordingly. Not sure whether it is true, but I have also heard that one of the conditions put in place when Pitman joined us was that he would be made captain. I get that, just. But why not remove the two of them from their roles of responsibility before the season started, especially when you could argue that KJ knew neither would be in his starting eleven. I also believe Tom Naylor is, and always has been, the best candidate for the job of skipper. What is slightly concerning is his choice of replacement for VC - Lee Brown. Worrying as this probably means he will drop Haunstrup back to the bench once Brown is fit again. That would be a shame IMO.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:24 pm I have quite strong thoughts on this! Only my opinion, but I think Pitman has been a terrible captain, both on and off the pitch, and in terms of his leadership skills Evans hasn't been much better, if at all. It's just the timing of it all that is strange, but I suspect both have made their feelings felt to Kenny in recent weeks and he has reacted accordingly. Not sure whether it is true, but I have also heard that one of the conditions put in place when Pitman joined us was that he would be made captain. I get that, just. But why not remove the two of them from their roles of responsibility before the season started, especially when you could argue that KJ knew neither would be in his starting eleven. I also believe Tom Naylor is, and always has been, the best candidate for the job of skipper. What is slightly concerning is his choice of replacement for VC - Lee Brown. Worrying as this probably means he will drop Haunstrup back to the bench once Brown is fit again. That would be a shame IMO.
I totally agree with all of that, SB. Strange timing and I can only think Pitman and Evans got the roles this season to make them feel less excluded if they were not picked. Having said that we usually do better when they ARE picked but that's another story. Also I agree that Haunstrup is the future and should have to play badly to get dropped but you just know Jackett can't wait to get Brown back in the side even if Haunstrup is playing brilliantly.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

It seems that timing is everything, this is more of a statement to the squad about who is in charge I suspect. KJ has the complete backing of the hierarchy and they won't tolerate player power disrupting anything. With that said, I agree that Naylor is better choice - but I would have gone for MacG as vice.

I'm optimistically believing that this international break has allowed the players to reset from the dodgy start, and we'll now go on an upbeaten run into the new year!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Earl Grey wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm but you just know Jackett can't wait to get Brown back in the side even if Haunstrup is playing brilliantly.
I disagree. Kenny has shown on multiple occasions that the player with the shirt loses it by playing poorly, rather than it being handed back to the previous incumbent.

I also agree with Bill, that Pitman is an awful captain, he is far too egotistical & self-centred to do a good job as captain. Evans, I would disagree slightly, I don't think he's been that bad whenever he's had the armband. I do agree that Naylor is the best candidate. I would have given VC to Burgess.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I thought it was significant that KJ stated that he wanted to wait until the Transfer Window had closed before he changed the Captains. I know it is a two plus two situation perhaps making five but was there a possibility that Pitman and/or Evans might have been moved on with the right offer.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

We should go with this guy
kirk.jpg
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

But.....................he would take.....................far......................to long to shout........................................out orders to......................the team.
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:19 pm We should go with this guy

kirk.jpg
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

RubiconCSL wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 pm But.....................he would take.....................far......................to long to shout........................................out orders to......................the team.

kirk.jpg
bahahahaha…...yeah, but he would be able to beam subs on and off much quicker
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

And he'd know someone that was great at Spock kicks.
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:41 pm
RubiconCSL wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 pm But.....................he would take.....................far......................to long to shout........................................out orders to......................the team.

kirk.jpg
bahahahaha…...yeah, but he would be able to beam subs on and off much quicker
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.