Your most memorable sport days?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Your most memorable sport days?

Post by New Forester »

Let’s have a change. Events we were at.

I got to thinking about this today. I was surprised at my conclusions.

In third place. Pompey’s Checkatrade trophy at Wembley this year. A special day, the spectacle and the excitement and drama of the ending.

In second place. England’s World Cup win in 1966. My dream result. Sustained excitement throughout. Fantastic atmosphere. Cried my eyes out after the final whistle.

But first. Last night of the London 2012 athletics. A beautiful August day. Arrived very early in the morning and went round everything to see at the Olympic Park. The athletics was brilliant. Saw Bolt and his mates set a new world record for the sprint relay. And then Mo winning the 5000 metres. Never experienced noise like the last lap. A bit like the roar for a goal in a cup final being kept up for nearly a minute. But also what made the evening so special was the music and choreography. And afterwards the superb organisation that enabled us to leave, quickly board trains back to Waterloo and home.

So what were your special events you attended?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Your most memorable sport days?

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Can't compete with your '66 and 2016 events, but plenty of Pompey memories. The '4th round FA cup tie with Arsenal in Jan '71, March '98 at Valley Parade, the Liverpool semi-final at Highbury, the FA cup loss to Henry's Arsenal in '04, the '08 QF at Old Trafford, the 2010 5th round at St Mary's and the semi v Spuds (and Redkrapp), the trip to Guimaraes and AC Milan at Fratton to name a few, and all made me proud to be a Pompey fan.

But for me it would have to be the S4R Pompey v Saints fun day at Hamble Aerostructures in 2003. Still warms the cockles to think what 12 blokes (6 from either side of the PO/SO divide) achieved that day and what it lead to.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Unfortunately I'm restricted to Pompey events late 70's - early 80's but of those I'd go Liverpool away in the league cup....best ever away support and Northampton away to win promotion.

Stateside I've got a Kentucky Derby which was a great day out and pretty much all day ….Mint Julep anyone?
Also game 2 of the World series Reds win at home in 1990. 5-4 Reds win in extra innings to go 2-0 up in the best of 7 series (swept 4-0)
Div III. Call it what it is.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 pm Northampton away to win promotion.
Good shout, that was one of my first ever away games. I should also add 'that' Stockport game. Alan Ball's Blue and White Army!
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I think probably the Spurs semi-final was the most enjoyable, just because it was so unexpected.

Hampshire's first ever One-day final win against Derbyshire in 1986 was pretty cool. More or less the same time Pompey got promoted to the top-flight, with Derby as Champions. So, a percentage of Lords were singing ‘We Hate Pompey’, including half the Hampshire fans... But it was great to see Robin Smith smash Michael Holding all around the ground. Unsurprisingly he was selected for England days later.

And one other : I was ringside for Mike McCallum v Roy Jones Jr. for the WBC Light Heavyweight title in Tampa. And Marco Barrera/Junior Jones was on the undercard. Neither fight was particularly memorable, but it was a huge privilege to attend at the time.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Too many to even think about the most memorable. Had some amazing experiences watching England play Rugby and Cricket, seen some of the best race horses in the best horse races ever, was at Wembley when England beet the Dutch 4-1 in 96, but when it comes to Pompey it is nigh on impossible to choose a favourite. Notts County away and Cheltenham at home when we won L2 in 2016/17 were very special, much more so than watching us beat Man Utd etc in the PL (Don't ask me why, I have no idea!) but right up there has to be the Checkatrade Final this year. So special for so many reasons, including having my family there with me. From the 'warm up' in Box Park, to the drama of the game and the ensuing penalty shoot out, to singing Sweet Caroline after the final whistle, that day just kept on giving. Marvellous.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Lucky enoughto attend the 2001 Wimbledon men's final played on a rare 3rd Monday meaning "normal" people could get their hands on tickets creating a much livelier atmosphere than normally seen for a Wimbledon final. Wildcard Goran Ivenisevic defeated Pat Rafter in 5 sets. Incidentally the same year Pete Sampras was upset in the early rounds by a young unknown with the last name of Federer.

The 2008 FA cup final !!!!

The world's stickiest bogey competition won by the young American Toxteth O'Grady
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Great to read these tales.

Of much less importance but memorable was a glorious summer day at the old County ground in Southampton many years ago. Just a few hundred at a Hampshire v Essex match. Spent the day wandering to different parts of the ground chatting as you do to complete strangers with a common love of cricket. Hampshire were all out late in the day. Then, for the first time live, I watched Malcolm Marshall bowling. He was from another planet. He made the Essex quicks seem like slow spinners.

Then there was the World Cup athletics at Crystal Palace. What a scraggy lot the athletes looked close up. But watching sprint warm ups made one realise what extraordinary creatures world class performers are.

Then there was the night that ...........
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 am Lucky enoughto attend the 2001 Wimbledon men's final played on a rare 3rd Monday meaning "normal" people could get their hands on tickets creating a much livelier atmosphere than normally seen for a Wimbledon final. Wildcard Goran Ivenisevic defeated Pat Rafter in 5 sets. Incidentally the same year Pete Sampras was upset in the early rounds by a young unknown with the last name of Federer.
I honestly think Henman would have won that year had it not been for the on/off/on/off rain. He had Ivanisevic on the ropes, 2-1 up having taken the third set 6-0 in about fifteen minutes, and then a break up in the fourth before the rain came and killed the day's play and the momentum.

The following day, Ivanisevic had recovered and Henman's bottle went with it.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Mine was being being cheated out of winning the bean bag race at infant school.......oh wait not that kind of sports day !

Defo Pompey Cup SF vs the scouser at Highbury in 92. I was in heaven after Anderton struck
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

1 - FA Cup Final 2008 - nothing else even comes close to it for me.
2 - Seeing the Arizona Cardinals in the flesh at Twickenham after supporting them for 25 years (even if they did lose 33-0 to one of their biggest rivals :cry: )
3 - My first London Marathon in 2014 - Such an incredible atmosphere and event to be a part of, plus I (technically) beat Haile Gabreselassie that day :wink:
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The best atmosphere ever was the Checkatrade final, all 3 of my sons with me.

At FP, there was a game in 2009, home to Wigan, we were really struggling, and this was our first home game of the season. We won 4-0, Dindane scored a hat-trick, and the ol' girl was rocking.

Outside of football, there was a 40-over Sunday game at Northlands Road, Gordon Greenidge hit over 200 that day, I would have been mid-teens at the time, and I just remember being awe-struck, knowing I was watching a true master at work.

Outside professional sport, most memorable day was when my team won a 6-a-side tournament. I've always been the coach that's happy to take the less-talented boys, and so we've never got anywhere near a final. before or since. We won on penalties, and it was one of the least skillful boys that took the winning penalty. The smiles & pride on their faces.....
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 pm The best atmosphere ever was the Checkatrade final, all 3 of my sons with me.
:thumb :thumb :thumb
Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 pm Outside of football, there was a 40-over Sunday game at Northlands Road, Gordon Greenidge hit over 200 that day, I would have been mid-teens at the time, and I just remember being awe-struck, knowing I was watching a true master at work.
Talking of Gordon Greenidge, once watched him and Barry Richards open in a John Player Special match at the May's Bounty, Basingstoke, one Sunday in the 70's. The South African scored a ton in what felt like about 5 minutes and then was promptly out the following ball. Such a GREAT batsman. That same day, remember speaking with Malcolm Marshall behind the ropes for about 5 minutes - such a lovely bloke. The Hampshire cricket team back then were the dogs doolies.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

In chronological order for me.

April 1985, World Snooker Championship final, was 16, done something that most 16 year olds wouldn’t normally do, sat up all night with me dear mum and watched it. That miss on the black by Davis after some cagey safety by both players and then Taylor finishing it off, magic.

Italia 90, semi final against the Germans, Lineker‘s equaliser, Gazza’s tears, escaping a few scares in extra time, hitting the woodwork, disallowed goal and then the dreaded penalties, heartbroken but immensely proud of what they achieved that night and tournament.

Euro 96, England beat the Dutch 4-1, not much to say really, was one of the best all round games I have ever watched, the whole atmosphere, great group of mates, superb.

2008 FA Cup win, the old man and me and me brother, my old man at the end crying as after supporting Pompey all his life and never thinking he would see Pompey lift the cup was the things that dreams are made of.

Check-a-trade final, me, my son and my Dad all sat there together at Wembley, to see another trophy lifted with three generations of us was unbeatable.

My happy sporting memories.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Post by OldSpice »

My most memorable sport days mostly involve Wembley:

The 2008 Cup Final after thinking for years that I would never see my team at Wembley

The Semi final against Spurs was particularly memorable due to the fact Ann and I were in Liverpool that morning having been guests at the Grand National the day before. I tried to get flights direct to London, but had to come back to Eastleigh on our scheduled flight. I arranged for someone to meet me at the airport and take us straight to Wembley and we arrived 10 mins before KO. What a day that was..

The Checkatrade final was particularly special as it was the first time my kids had seen Pompey play at Wembley.

I think my most memorable day though was the final match of the 2013/14 season against Sheffield, the day after we, the fans, took ownership of Pompey. The sun was shining, we beat Sheffield comfortably despite the fact they had been pushing for promotion and we even had Samba dancers!
The icing on the cake for me was that FL announced that the 10 point deduction was to apply that season which gave us an even playing field for the following season. I knew that was going to happen as I was told in the solicitor's office when we were there in the Friday to do all the final signing, but I was sworn to secrecy so could not tell anyone. Never let it be said that the FL didn't help us in the last few months of our fight to save the club.
PUP