Preferred team against Gillingham

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Preferred team against Gillingham

Post by Dinksy »

Bass
Bolton Burgess Raggett Brown

Harness Naylor Close Evans
Harrison Pitman

Curtis has got clearance from Ireland but needs a spell on the bench to get back his hunger.......and a better attiude.
Marquis simply hasn't delivered and doesn't look like he wil any time soon.
Evans is the first name on my teamsheet, Harrison and Pitman always create danger and Burgess and Raggett might be just beginning to form a useful partnership. They certainly seem better with the rock-solid Lee Brown back.
If Bass plays like he did on Tuesday night, we have a very good chance of nailing our third win in a row.
We need to start quicker and livelier, get the Fratton crowd going and score that all-important early goal.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Preferred team against Gillingham

Post by New Forester »

Sad reminder of last season. Loss home and away cost us promotion. Surely not three in a row?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:46 pm Bass

Harness Naylor Close Evans
Harrison Pitman

Curtis has got clearance from Ireland but needs a spell on the bench to get back his hunger.......and a better attiude.
Marquis simply hasn't delivered and doesn't look like he wil any time soon.
Evans is the first name on my teamsheet, Harrison and Pitman always create danger and Burgess and Raggett might be just beginning to form a useful partnership. They certainly seem better with the rock-solid Lee Brown back.
If Bass plays like he did on Tuesday night, we have a very good chance of nailing our third win in a row.
We need to start quicker and livelier, get the Fratton crowd going and score that all-important early goal.
Thats certainly in the ballpark of who I'd pick. I'd probably go with Cannon rather than Close at home. I think he gives us a little more impetus, and lately Close has been going AWOL for periods. I'd go with Williams over Evans too, but not by much. Both can run at defences, but at home I think Williams can gee up the crowd a little more on that right flank. If Gillingham are going to sit deep, I'd want Williams, but if they're pushing up - then Evans who seems to exploit gaps a little better. Horses for courses, I guess.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Hi Weybridge. Yes, Cannon is certainly tapping Close on the shoulder. Close just about got my vote for that great assist against Donny and he can always pop up with a wonder strike. I feel Evans always puts in a shift until his age catches up with him and we are in need of some fresh legs from the bench.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Bass

Naylor Cannon

Harness Evans Haunstrupp

Harrison

Bench Mcgee Pitman Downing Walkes Close Williams Curtis

If Marquis is fit then i would put him on the bench for Pitman. If Curtis not ready then I would swap on the bench for Maloney. Would ask Harness and Evans to regularly rotate. Would tell Evans to go for it and expect only 60 minutes.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey Dave wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:16 pm Bass

Naylor Cannon

Harness Evans Haunstrupp

Harrison

Bench Mcgee Pitman Downing Walkes Close Williams Curtis

If Marquis is fit then i would put him on the bench for Pitman. If Curtis not ready then I would swap on the bench for Maloney. Would ask Harness and Evans to regularly rotate. Would tell Evans to go for it and expect only 60 minutes.
Maloney is on loan to Bognor, so we'd have to recall him for a League game. Not quite sure how he's allowed to play EFL Trophy games for us, tbh. Tomorrow he has the delights of playing Potters Bar Town FC.....
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

New Forester wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm Sad reminder of last season. Loss home and away cost us promotion. Surely not three in a row?
Already have lost three league games in a row to them. They beat us 3-1 at home in March 2018 :cry:
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

All depends on what formation we play, but assuming we are going to stick with 442 for the time being, I'd go with:

Bass
Bolton - Burgess - Raggett - Brown
Harness - Naylor - McCrorie - Williams
Harrison - Marquis

McGee, Downing, Close, Evans, Pitman, Cannon, Curtis

However, this is the team I reckon Jackett will put out:

Bass
Evans - Naylor - Close - Harness
Pitman - Harrison
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm All depends on what formation we play, but assuming we are going to stick with 442 for the time being, I'd go with:

Bass
Harrison - Marquis

Bass
Pitman - Harrison
Isn't McCrorie away with Scotland? Replace him with Cannon in your team and it looks strong to me.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:42 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm All depends on what formation we play, but assuming we are going to stick with 442 for the time being, I'd go with:

Bass
Harrison - Marquis

Bass
Pitman - Harrison
Isn't McCrorie away with Scotland? Replace him with Cannon in your team and it looks strong to me.
I'm not sure he is? I put Cannon in my team first and then swapped them last minute when I assumed the Scotsman was available. I do think Close is a good player (when he's on the ball) but he is too weak in the tackle for my liking, hence why I would go with Cannon or McCrorie instead as they will both 'put their foot in'.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

SB...McCrorie is indeed away with Scotland. I believe he captained the U23's...AT RIGHT BACK!!!! 8)
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:15 pm
New Forester wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm Sad reminder of last season. Loss home and away cost us promotion. Surely not three in a row?
Already have lost three league games in a row to them. They beat us 3-1 at home in March 2018 :cry:

So the stats point towards an improvement for us! Wet weather gear out for tomorrow.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Damn, Jackett's gone for the exact team I suggested. I won't be able to moan about him now if we lose! :lol:
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 5 times

Post by meakinsl »

Well didn't lose, but didn't win either !
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

What's that then? Three wins and a draw from the last four? Two draws if you count the game that we won on penalties as being a draw.

I guess more importantly than the score is the performance. How did we play?

BBC suggests 69% possession and 12 shots so a case of not taking our chances when we had them? Gillingham only one on target so sounds like the defence did ok.

Would be good to get some feedback from someone at the game.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix