Gillingham verdict

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Gillingham verdict

Post by Dinksy »

A very frustrating result. The positives.....
1. A clean sheet. Good for Alex Bass although he had very little to do.
2. Chances created.
3. Raggett improving by the match.
However...
Poor finishing......Actually not so much poor finishing as poor choices around the box. Is there a problem between Marquis and Brown? Once again Brown is electing to shoot from difficult angles instead of squaring to an unmarked Marquis. Marquis' reaction after the misses told its own story.
Lack of creativity in midfield. That's Close's department. Trouble is, we don't have anyone else at the club who can read the game and make a quick telling pass to the forwards.
Strange that Gilligham should come to the Park with such a negative game plan given their excellent track record at our place but they got their point.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Gillingham verdict

Post by Mr Dee »

Agree with that . I thought the Burgess/Raggett partnership was looking alot more solid than it did V Bolton. To me pitman, Harrison and Harness only seem to be effective when brought on as Subs when a game needs changing .
We are really poor in the last 1/4 if the pitch . We have no decent number 9 or 10 imo also the corners and crosses are absolute pony.
I was 3 seats away from the Gillingham dugout . Steve Evans at least provided some entertainment during a very dull second half.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Cannon should start from the off instead of Close whose passing is continually sideways and square with no through balls. Cannon seems to be someone who is keen to drive forward and is not afraid to carry the ball = much more energy and physicality than Close who always chooses the easy options.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'm bl**dy furious, to be honest. Give me the job. Jackett is ****** useless. He's so bl**dy negative.

I was there yesterday, and we played OK , probably the best we've played all season, but.....

What is bleeding obvious is that we lack a play maker, a proper No. 10. Yesterday, they had 6 at the back for most of the game, but KJ did eff all about it. It felt like he was happy with the draw and to keep a clean sheet but I would have rolled the dice and gone 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. His team selection is also woeful. Pitman was shocking, Close and Evans were OK, but leaving the likes of Williams on the bench is criminal. Our most creative player by a country mile was Harness. I'd try him as a No.10. What have we got to lose?
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

For the last 13 plus years, our Doom and Gloom meter has always been offset by Selsey's positive vibe...….. we must be ****** awful if this is how far SB has gone
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

...someone who is keen to drive forward and is not afraid to carry the ball = much more energy and physicality.........

Until he got a yellow card at Blackpool that was Ross McRory. After that he went into his shell and got taken off. One wonders what he left behind at Rangers.

It will come right soon. :thumb
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I found the game really rather depressing, if for no other reason than we have a decent squad of players who I am sure really want to do well, but when they don't score early on the confidence deserts them and they seem afraid to play, always opting for the safe sideways ball.

Harness spent a fair part of the first half wide on the wing waving his arms and screaming for the ball to be played out to him or behind the full back QUICKLY, but by the time it eventually got to him he was usually surrounded by at least two players. He had the beating of the full back, but needed to be one on one to make it really count. From what I could see, the same was happening to Williams in the second half. One might have hoped that we may have learned something from the Carabao match where the stripeys broke from defence with speed, purpose and accuracy.

On the plus side, Raggett and Bolton seem to be getting up to match fitness, and are playing much better, although Bolton looked extremely tired by the end.

I completely agree with SB that our greatest need is for a midfield general to make us tick, which we failed to address in the close season. Maybe Harness can do it, but he will need time to get used to the role and it is already mid October. If we keep playing with two strikers it would be difficult to play him in the centre, unless he plays off a single striker, and I think that Harrison and Marquis should be given a few games together to build up an understanding. We aren't exactly scoring loads of goals so far!
Invicta Pompey
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Invicta Pompey »

I suspect the bottom line is that Jackett, Catlin and the Eisner family know that, but there isn't a huge load of players available at a price we can afford. Criticising a relative young team and walking out 10 minutes before the end isn't going to inspire confidence in them.
I predict at the end of the season:
a) Our Manager will be Kenny Jackett
b) Depending on our activity in the January Transfer market we will be in the playoffs or close too.
if you read the wikipedia article on PFC and highlight the words administration, financial troubles and bankruptcy its pretty obvious how pandering to fans demands for instant success has ended over the best part of 100 years, we musnt make the same mistake again. Fans must be patient it, the belief that we can be back in the Premiership in 10 years is totally unrealistic.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

The way things are going i.e. heading for mid-table mediocrity, as we are clearly not strong enough with the recruits we have to challenge for either automatic or play off contention, Jackett is bound to be axed in the spring or at the latest at the end of the season or even before that if the crowd turn heavily against him. I can't believe that the Eisners will place their faith in him for another season. They are looking for progress and will feel that he has had long enough and sufficient financial backing to do the job.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I don't think that many posters on this board want us to spend huge amounts of money for instant success. A fair few of us were shareholders and were happy to go with Eisner's slow and steady plan, and I for one am generally happy with the way things are progressing. On the pitch I and probably everyone else would like to see a confident settled team that can score goals and defend well, and if they can do it whilst playing attractive football then we are all in heaven.

We have not achieved anywhere near this as yet this season, but I know that KJ and Co are going flat out to get there. We all have different ideas about the best team and formation which is what makes discussions on this board so interesting.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

uspompeyfan wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:09 am For the last 13 plus years, our Doom and Gloom meter has always been offset by Selsey's positive vibe...….. we must be ****** awful if this is how far SB has gone
:lol:
I've calmed down a little now, but I'm still not happy. I don't agree with changing managers every five minutes but I have gone from being a Jackett supporter to wanting him gone. The rot started to set in for me against Coventry and I see no signs of improvement. We have some good players in and among our squad but too often KJ picks the wrong players and plays them in the wrong positions. To still not know what his best team is half way through October is criminal.
Invicta Pompey
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Invicta Pompey »

I was also a shareholder and when the Eisner Offer was put forward in my own head I was trying to put forward a fan owned alternative to the £10 million Eisner was putting in to the club. I reckon it would have cost each of us that put in a 1k at the beginning a further investment of 2 to 2.5k. This would have assumed that the presidents had been able to match their investments to the same ratio.
I concluded that whilst I would have found the money somewhere it is likely that a lot of the people wouldn't be able or want to so I concluded the Eisner offer was the best option. This gave us a mid League 1 player budget.
If we hadn't found investment the outstanding safety requirements could have only been funded by a reduced player budget.
We have only seen the accounts for the first 8 months of post fan ownership the club lost approx £600k. Last year with the Wembley appearances and transfer fees its hopefully better.
My hunch is that what we have got in terms of players is basically determined by what we spend on wages rather than Kennys recruiting skills. Our strategy is to build the team over a number of years, that inevitably means that some years you are not going to match the previous years performance but it still leaves you stronger. That may be where we are now. You have to remember that we are building from nothing in 2013.
I won't loose faith in our current setup. PUP
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Invicta Pompey wrote:I was also a shareholder and when the Eisner Offer was put forward in my own head I was trying to put forward a fan owned alternative to the £10 million Eisner was putting in to the club. I reckon it would have cost each of us that put in a 1k at the beginning a further investment of 2 to 2.5k. This would have assumed that the presidents had been able to match their investments to the same ratio.
I concluded that whilst I would have found the money somewhere it is likely that a lot of the people wouldn't be able or want to so I concluded the Eisner offer was the best option. This gave us a mid League 1 player budget.
If we hadn't found investment the outstanding safety requirements could have only been funded by a reduced player budget.
We have only seen the accounts for the first 8 months of post fan ownership the club lost approx £600k. Last year with the Wembley appearances and transfer fees its hopefully better.
My hunch is that what we have got in terms of players is basically determined by what we spend on wages rather than Kennys recruiting skills. Our strategy is to build the team over a number of years, that inevitably means that some years you are not going to match the previous years performance but it still leaves you stronger. That may be where we are now. You have to remember that we are building from nothing in 2013.
I won't loose faith in our current setup. PUP
An interesting assessment Invicta.
I have no doubt that Tornante are quids in big-time with their investment. After forking out that original £10m on the essential ground improvements Catlin was banging on about, their one big-outlay has benn the £2m on Marquis. Off-set that with the Clarke and Lowe deals plus the Check-a-trade and I am assuming there is a war-chest ready - either for Kenny to spend on a quality midfielder ala Mick Doyle or for Catlin to spend on a new manager.
But a warning for those calling for Kenny's head....who would you replace him with? I have seen the list of names that Sunderland have been interviewing or rumoured to be approaching in the last week and can't say I'm envious. Could Kenny do with a new number two? Someone to offer a bit more spark on what seems to be an uninspired training ground.
You look back at the League Two winning team and you had characters everywhere...cheeky Chaplin, cultured Clarke, brave Burgess, Stevens had guile, Lowe teased and terrified full backs and all orchestrated by a true leader in Michael Doyle. Is there any of that dressing room spirit in today's team?
Invicta Pompey
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Invicta Pompey »

Dinksy, I think you may be a bit optimistic about the financial situation. The books for the first year in League 1 showed a loss of £600k. The cup run and the play offs will have likely cancelled that out and made a small profit assuming core costs haven't risen above the rate of inflation. (Sunderland say they made £1m net out of the trophy competition). Investments that I can think of made above the ongoing safety work this year, hybrid pitch £500k, replacement floodlights £ 2 to £3m?, recladding South Stand ??. There has also according to Catlin been increased investment in the academy.
Transfer fees are one off payments either in or out. Clark and Lowe are probably being received in instalments not a lump sump, same for marquis. They do not long term increase your ability to pay wages year on year which is what I suggest is most likely our limiting factor.
If that is so, where do you find the money to pay off the contract of your existing manager and possible compensation to the old club of a new manager even if a good one is available to us with our playing budget? (I think your comments about Sunderland is spot on by the way). I think the only chance that Jackett won't be our manager at the end of the season is that somebody comes in with a good offer for him and that seems unlikely to me.
No amount of crowd baying (which I find disloyal to PFC and distasteful) is going to have an impact on the managers future. The only way that the fans can influence that is by not renewing their season tickets at the end of the year. In League one this is probably a situation that is unique to Pompey because we sell such a high percentage of our capacity as season tickets.