'Arrogate v Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

'Arrogate v Pompey

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Here's some interesting background on the opposition from the beeb

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50139027
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: 'Arrogate v Pompey

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I see that we have sold out our ticket allocation. This took a while, so I suppose that there are relatively few season ticket holders making the journey and that sales picked up when available to northern blues.

I am making the trip to the north for the game as I have managed to get Monday and Tuesday off, so will stay overnight and have a relaxed journey home. Anybody else going?

Harrogate are going to be giving this everything, but with six days since Southend and Fleetwood postponed, there is no reason not to put out our strongest side available. Survive the early stages and we should be OK (kiss of death).
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

completely agree on fielding the strongest possible team. Biggest game in their history and a giant banana skin.
Field the A=list, comfortable 0-3 and move on to the next round thanks very much.
You can throw on some young blood if the A team are good enough to take control in the first half.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Big fat banana skin this one. Long trip to the North East, evening game, near freezing conditions and a plastic pitch. And if it’s sodden like much of the North right now, it’s going to make passing a nightmare. There’s nothing good about this fixture.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Errr...Mr Weybridge...Harrogate is not North East..more central England in West Riding of Yorkshire and a beautiful place with loads of interesting places to visit...check it out on Wiki. I used to live there and Knaresborough next door...but do agree - could be a big banana ski, especially the way we play??? PUP 8)
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I assumed it s sold out to ST holders. So didn't check the ticket situation which is a shame as I could have gone

Some lovely places to go in and around Harrogate.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

eltorrro wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 am Errr...Mr Weybridge...Harrogate is not North East..more central England in West Riding of Yorkshire and a beautiful place with loads of interesting places to visit...check it out on Wiki. I used to live there and Knaresborough next door...but do agree - could be a big banana ski, especially the way we play??? PUP 8)
D’oh! Done it again! I’ve been thinking Gateshead!

But I think its going to be a very level playing field. You can’t play long ball on plastic, especially if there’s any kind of wind. You can’t go flying in with the tackles (unless it is wet, then it’s awesome).

I guess it’s one of those games where possession football and fitness levels will dictate the difference.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Invicta Pompey
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Invicta Pompey »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:34 am I assumed it s sold out to ST holders. So didn't check the ticket situation which is a shame as I could have gone

Some lovely places to go in and around Harrogate.
I don't think that demand was that high. According to the Harrogate website we could have had an additional 250 tickets if we'd wanted but declined, so they've put them on sale to their own fans.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

I'm hoping for a draw cos otherwise the only thing we have to break up the monotony of the next two weeks is the dreaded Word Association thread.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Providing we start with the same line up we finished with on Tuesday I reckon we'll get through. Marquis & Harrison amongst the goals again.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

We have a shocking record on plastic pitches - I'm still scarred from watching us lose 5-0 to QPR in the League Cup back in the early eighties, and I witnessed us lose to Luton on plastic back in the late eighties :cry:
Whilst the pitch will be a massive advantage to the home side, we should still win, but BT have chosen to televise this game because they sniff an upset.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Weybridge wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:10 am Big fat banana skin this one.
Agree - and it won't be a Fair Trade banana.

There's an opportunity to watch the BT broadcast live at our local gym club. But I'm so pessimistic that I think I will just listen on BBC Radio Solent.

Nevertheless...............PUP!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Weybridge wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:10 am Big fat banana skin this one. Long trip to the North East, evening game, near freezing conditions and a plastic pitch. And if it’s sodden like much of the North right now, it’s going to make passing a nightmare. There’s nothing good about this fixture.

Have you seen Pompey play this season? Playing long ball should suit us fine!
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Looks like a strong side for tonight: quote from the PFC official website.

"Craig MacGillivray returns from a thigh injury to start against his former club in the first round of the Emirates FA Cup.

The keeper replaces Alex Bass against Harrogate Town in one of three changes from the side that beat Southend last week.

Brandon Haunstrup comes in for the injured Ross McCrorie at right-back, while Ellis Harrison makes way for Gareth Evans."

Now we need to avoid those banana skins! PUP.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Floodlight failure...ko delayed until 20:40...perhaps??? 8)