'Arrogate v Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Re: 'Arrogate v Pompey

Post by Berkshire Blue »

The weather is absolutely foul in Harrogate this evening - the presenters doing the pre kick off have had to retreat off the pitch. Pouring rain, cold and blowing a gale. Just the weather to level things up.
Coneyhurst Blue
Robbie Pethick

Post by Coneyhurst Blue »

Can’t see a Poppy on the Pompey shirts ?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

1-0 down :(
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Live on utube

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

past memories wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:53 pm Live on utube

Cheers PM (blocked at half time :( )

2-1 to the good guys at half time
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Terrible game, no Pompey players coming out with any credit.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Phew!
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:12 pm Terrible game, no Pompey players coming out with any credit.
So true PB. Regardless of conditions and actually, it's in such conditions that a good player will shine through with ball control, skill and thought. I really do not see what Marquis brings to the party..can't jump, can't head, can't control a ball and can't tackle. Tonight he looked as though he had been drafted in from Farlington Marshes and had never met any of his team mates before...waste of space. Mind you, the team as a unit didn't perform well. Anyway, KJ will keep his job for another two weeks when once again we will be served up another shambles of a show to get us more riled!! 8)
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

It didn't make for entertaining viewing and the pitch was an equalizer. As others have said, we looked poor and I hope it was just the pitch and conditions that gave that view...though many previous games would alude to it being more serious.

My key issues for a positive and negative:

Christian Burgess - What is his problem? He used to be so much better, but was made to look poor even by non-league standards, with three major mistakes (two of which combined for the opening goal)

Was it Ryan Williams playing number 7? He seemed to run and run through the game, set up well with Haunstrup especially for the goal, and I think he set the second one up for Curtiss too? He would be my player of the game.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:12 am It didn't make for entertaining viewing and the pitch was an equalizer. As others have said, we looked poor and I hope it was just the pitch and conditions that gave that view...though many previous games would alude to it being more serious.

My key issues for a positive and negative:

Christian Burgess - What is his problem? He used to be so much better, but was made to look poor even by non-league standards, with three major mistakes (two of which combined for the opening goal)

Was it Ryan Williams playing number 7? He seemed to run and run through the game, set up well with Haunstrup especially for the goal, and I think he set the second one up for Curtiss too? He would be my player of the game.
The whole backline struggled with the surface, conditions and Town's giant forward and they exposed our Achilles Heel of set pieces. I thought Burgess grew into the match and had a good second half but Evans and Marquis were poor throughout.
In the end we can thankful for getting through, drawing Altrincham in the next round and not having a game on Saturday because of the injuries to Harrison (back), Raggett (abducter) and Naylor (hamstring). Obviously Naylor's is the one that is most concerning.
By the way US, we call it 'man of the match' this side of the pond :wink:
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

The pitch, the delay to kick off and the usual effect of a potential non-league upset clearly impacted the players performance. But surely then you stick to basics like keeping possession and passing it to someone in blue? Endless hoofing to Marquis and the resulting loss of possession was painful to watch. Footballing brains?

Maybe we'll get to the final and look back at last night and laugh.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

That was so bl**dy painful to watch. I don't want to keep blaming Jackett, but he does pick the team and I think he picked the wrong one. Not sure what Cannon has to do to get a game? Persisting with Close is starting to wind me up. Also, he keeps reverting to Evans ahead of the likes of Harness, or Cannon. Marquis was useless last night. That was the first time I've seen him look so bad and now I can see why others, including my sons, think he was a waste of money. Harrison has to start ahead of him when fit again. Their non-league centre forward, Beck, looked far more dangerous than him. Brown is getting worse with each performance. Burgess looked like Bambi on Ice. Big Mac didn't have much to do, and Downing did OK when he came on to replace Raggett. Naylor was a massive lost for us, hopefully he will be back very soon but if a hamstring you've got to be looking at 6 weeks ish. On a positive note, Curtis is right back to where he was at his best - he's certainly got his mojo back, Williams played very well and was responsible for both assists. He gets himself into some great situations but his end product needs some working on. Haunstrup again played well and is 10 x better than Brown. My worry with him is defensively. For me, two excellent goals papered over the cracks which are beginning to look more like chasms.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

We came through that tie purely and simply because we somehow managed to hit two super shots from nowhere. Against a poor non league side we managed to concede a quite dreadful goal in the first few minutes and thereafter looked disjointed and toothless in attack, and uneasy in defence with Burgess in particular having a shocking first half. At no stage in a boring second half did we really impose ourselves or look like adding another goal which might have sealed the win comfortably, against a poor Harrogate side who huffed and puffed to no effect.
Williams was named Man of the Match, OK he worked hard but generally I thought he was poor with his delivery and crossing all over the place. I can't remember him going past any defender all game. Why Jackett prefers him to Harness is impossible to fathom out. As for Marquis words fail me. In his defence he had no support whatsoever but his determination to shoot from long distance is now embarrassing.
Several of our team are mere shadows of their former selves unfortunately. We know that the likes of Evans and Brown for instance are capable of so much more but are in bad form at the moment and lacking confidence, difficult to understand given their experience.
Like many people I can't understand the Cannon situation at all.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

At least Burgess has the good grace and humour to acknowledge the mare he had!
Screenshot_2019-11-12-17-04-31.png
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Peter isn't me by the way!