v Northampton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

v Northampton

Post by eltorrro »

Oh dear, oh dear!! 2nd string out tonite and it shows...0-1 after 14mins...McCrorie ball watching lets his man go...easy goal. Walkes already having nightmare at RB...could be a massacre? 8)
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: v Northampton

Post by uspompeyfan »

I was going to write that we'd try and win this cup again as it is a comparatively cheap way to secure 'bon amie' from the fans and provide the owners with Silverware which would keep them happy. I hate going with second string teams...at most rest 4/5 but not 9. We'll get what we deserve...if we eek out a win after 90 mins then the kids would have beaten their kids.....
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

30 mins gone...shots on target = 0...shots 0 = 1. As you may guess...not very entertaining!! 8)
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

1-1 Maloney...header from close in. At last started to move it around. Harness having a mare 8)
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Don't mind the second string at all here. We're the holders, cross it off the list and move on to more important things.
Div III. Call it what it is.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Final score 2-1 win and moving on. Looks like some positive performances from the second string.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Only watching on ifollow, but after a very poor start we improved.

For me, Harness was a couple of levels above everyone else on the pitch, and thoroughly deserved MOM. Cannon was solid, and Marquis is a bit of a worry.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

What are the odds on Bournemouth, Saints and Brighton joining us in the Championship soon? 😃😃
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Great goal by Harness to win it. Came out a different team in second half...Marquis once again was very poor...shame. 8)
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Look like Chelsea U21s got knocked out too. Wolves also.

Southern half of the draw is looking good for us.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:58 pm Great goal by Harness to win it. Came out a different team in second half...Marquis once again was very poor...shame. 8)

What's the problem do we think? Why was he relatively prolific last season with Doncaster and scoring so few for us? Sure he and Kenny would welcome suggestions.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:04 pm I was going to write that we'd try and win this cup again as it is a comparatively cheap way to secure 'bon amie' from the fans and provide the owners with Silverware which would keep them happy. I hate going with second string teams...at most rest 4/5 but not 9. We'll get what we deserve...if we eek out a win after 90 mins then the kids would have beaten their kids.....
[pedant mode]

'Bon homie'

[/pedant mode]
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Wasn't at the game (saving myself for Wembley :wink: ) but I thought that was a pretty strong line up for a second string.

If I had my way I'd be starting McCrorie, Cannon and Harness in the league games anyway...
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

New Forester wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 am
eltorrro wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:58 pm Great goal by Harness to win it. Came out a different team in second half...Marquis once again was very poor...shame. 8)

What's the problem do we think? Why was he relatively prolific last season with Doncaster and scoring so few for us? Sure he and Kenny would welcome suggestions.
Must admit I knew very little about Marquis and didn't follow his career until he signed for us this time but, having watched him play every match for us thus far, I have to think a lot of his goal tally with Doncaster must have been fortunate. In my opinion the guy can't jump, head a ball, tackle, pass, shoot, run with the ball, has no ball control and doesn't read the game at all well!! The only thing he does well is put himself about...he has scored 5 goals for us and not one has been a 'quality' goal...a league 2 player at best? 8)
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Looking at goals he scored for Donny last season , he seemed to feed off some nice through balls from James Coppinger especially . We don't seem to be using him the same way at all. We have either put him up top on his own and lumped balls at him or withdrawn him into the midfield three and used him in a more creative role behind the main striker. Either way is very different to what he was used to in Yorkshire. I think there's something there , he works hard but in trying to adapt to new roles , he's lost that sharpness he had last season . Worth still persisting with for the moment anyway IMHO.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!