Peterborough

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Peterborough

Post by New Forester »

Just back in the Forest. An entertaining afternoon. A fair result. We matched a team headed for the playoffs which is where we should be before the season is out. Couldn’t fault anyone for effort but we need a more solid back four.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Peterborough

Post by Mr Dee »

Agree . I really enjoyed the game . Their second goal was really poor on our part . Their scorer left totally unmarked near the 6 yard box he probably had time to bring it down and do a few keepy uppies if he'd wanted , unforgivable defending .
Otherwise a much better performance than earlier in the season.
Haunstrups injury looked serious which is a shame as hes one of our most creative players of late.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Now at 15 without a loss. We have a few big games coming up and I'll be happy with draws as it stops the teams at the top getting further away. Four points between 10th and 3rd plus we still have a game in hand which is looking more and more likely a win will put us back in the playoffs :wink:
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

New Forester wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:18 pm Just back in the Forest. An entertaining afternoon. A fair result. We matched a team headed for the playoffs which is where we should be before the season is out. Couldn’t fault anyone for effort but we need a more solid back four.
Having watched the goals again it's really poor defending by Hawkins for both Peterborough goals . Completely missed his clearance for the first and lost his man for the second .
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

An entertaining game, as you might expect from two teams who are good attacking, but can't defend. Overall, I thought it was a fair result, as we had most of the play, but on real chances it was about even. All four goals were defensive disasters.

The centre of our defence is shocking. Oli Hawkins is not a defender. Burgess is (I think) now suspended for a game after his booking, so it's unlikely to get better this week. Hopefully Raggett and Whatmough will be back and fit. At some point we are going to have to do something with Downing; he is here for three years and we need to get a return. The start of last season when we had Clarke and Whatmough together seem a long way away. I can't believe that at the start of the season I said that I had no worries about our back six!

On the positive side, I couldn't fault the team's effort and we looked a real goal threat throughout. Having started the season like we had forgotten how to win, at least we are now competitive and will give anyone in L1 a game. We are unbeaten in ten and continue to inch up the table. I still think we can make the play-offs, but the idea of either of Saturday's teams surviving in the Championship is absurd. A year ago we beat Sunderland, and the quality of football from both sides was miles ahead of anything I have seen from any L1 team this season.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Couldn't make it due to a family member being rushed into A&E. But all the reports I've heard from people there said it was a VG game & really we should've won. So fair enough I guess. Injuries catching up on us a bit. Brandon now with apparently a bad hammy, McRorie to slot in though I'd imagine. Burgess is a miss though next time out due to a one game suspension. Think Naylor may have to go back there & Walkes back into DM.
PUP PPU
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

An enjoyable game to watch, apart from the first 20 minutes when we were awful. 2nd to every ball, too static, no urgency - just poor. Naylor understandably looked rusty, and Close just isn't combative enough for me. Still not sure what Cannon has done to Kenny, as he wasn't even on the bench on Saturday - maybe had an injury? Talking of which, Haunstrup's didn't look good - not sure what happened, but looked like a knee problem to me - hopefully not ligament damage which would probably end his season - that would be a great shame as he has been playing well for us. Still, at least this should open the door for McCrorie who I really rate, even though I'd rather play him in midfield than at right back. Hawkins showed he is not a defender and was to blame for both goals - which were so sloppy. With regards to the ex Pompey boys, Butler and Thompson, both had good games, especially Dan Butler who surprised me to be honest. As for Thompson he should have been on his third yellow card by the time he got his first so shouldn't have actually been on the pitch at the end. Curtis looked like the hype of how well he has being playing has gone to his head as he wasn't at his best. Harrison continues to impress me, and I thought Marquis had one of his better games, albeit without scoring yet again. Williams has everything apart from an end product which is very frustrating. I personally think Harness is a better all round player, but Jackett obviously doesn't agree. Still, a fair result, though I actually thought Rotherham were a better side than Peterborough.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeygunner wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:04 pm Couldn't make it due to a family member being rushed into A&E. But all the reports I've heard from people there said it was a VG game & really we should've won. So fair enough I guess. Injuries catching up on us a bit. Brandon now with apparently a bad hammy, McRorie to slot in though I'd imagine. Burgess is a miss though next time out due to a one game suspension. Think Naylor may have to go back there & Walkes back into DM.
PUP PPU
Hope everything is OK mate?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Haunstrup's injury was right in front of me. He seemed to be holding the top of his calf rather than the knee ligaments, but pain isn't always were the injury actually is. Anyway, looks like he will be out for a few weeks at best.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:33 am
pompeygunner wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:04 pm Couldn't make it due to a family member being rushed into A&E. But all the reports I've heard from people there said it was a VG game & really we should've won. So fair enough I guess. Injuries catching up on us a bit. Brandon now with apparently a bad hammy, McRorie to slot in though I'd imagine. Burgess is a miss though next time out due to a one game suspension. Think Naylor may have to go back there & Walkes back into DM.
PUP PPU
Tks Selsey, he's got a infection. But he was discharged Friday & rushed back in Sat. Possibly discharged with infection-not great. He's very frail due to bladder cancer. We both aired our views on him being sent home (with care provided) but he just wasn't strong enough to even get himself out of a chair.
Tks very much for the kind comments.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

pompeygunner wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:22 pm
PUP PPU
Tks Selsey, he's got a infection. But he was discharged Friday & rushed back in Sat. Possibly discharged with infection-not great. He's very frail due to bladder cancer. We both aired our views on him being sent home (with care provided) but he just wasn't strong enough to even get himself out of a chair.
Will keep your family in prayer at this time - its all I can do this far away.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeygunner wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:22 pm
PUP PPU
Sorry to hear that PG - my thoughts are with you and your family at this time.