Wimbledon

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Wimbledon

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

2-1 up to 7th
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Wimbledon

Post by FatBlueAde »

Few of the other games went our way at that end of the table as well, looking pretty tight, just hope we can sustain a run of form and creep up.
Living in exile thinking Blue
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Worst team I’ve seen at Fratton Park this season. After the first 10 scrappy minutes Pompey played some attractive football and fully deserved their half time lead. Their only decent attacking move of the entire game led to Wimbledon’s equaliser in a pretty dire second half. But Pompey got the win they deserved. My MOM would have been Harrison who was a constant threat. But did I hear right that it was Ragget? Looking forward to the verdict of our pundits on the performance of our new boys. I confess I wasn’t hugely impressed but they should soon settle in.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I drove down to the ground with one of my best mates today, who also happens to be a lifelong Wimbledon fan. He actually reckons after 4 seasons struggling to stay in this league that it would be better for them to drop down into L2 next season, and judging by that performance, I suspect they might. They were certainly as poor as Southend. The 2-1 scoreline flattered them. We should have been out of site by half time. Fair dues to Jackett, he seems to be getting the message, and dropped Close again, something most of us have been crying out for for ages. Seddon was very good today in his home debut, and you can see him beginning to form a great relationship with Curtis on the left. Interestingly, this was probably his worst of his three games for us, but he is so so much better than Brown and Haunstrup, and I love his attacking attitude, oh and his delivery The other loanee, McGeehan also had a great debut and he is soooo much better than Close. He can head and tackle for starters. A great signing, albeit only a loanee one, and I suspect the missing link in midfield.The revelation of the day for me, however, was Raggett's performance. By far his best game for us - he was outstanding and deservedly awarded MOTM. I'd still start Jack ahead of him once fit though. On the latter, he got the biggest cheer of the day when he ran out to 'warm up' after about 15 minutes in. Burgess was also very solid, but not given much to do, especially once their Brentford loanee went off injured. I though Bolton had a steady game too, though not quite sure why Jackett replaced him with Haunstrup. Didn't get that at all. On the subject of substitutions, we were saying that we needed to make changes at least 5 minutes before they scored as you could see it coming. Yet again, Jackett too reactive for my liking. Cannon played well again, but was rightly subbed as he was in danger of getting a second yellow card, especially from that ref who was card happy. Curtis didn't have his best game but his delivery for the winner was class. Marquis yet again disappointed me, though was in the right place again to score the winner. That's three in three now, but I still wouldn't start him ahead of Harrison, who yet again seriously impressed me. He wins everything in the air, and his hold up play is immense. Definitely one of Jackett's better signings for us. Harness was good again, his goal superbly taken. Naylor was Naylor - love him. Finally, Bass - didn't have much to do, and could have done nothing about the goal, but I like his kicking and distribution, which was for the most part good today considering the windy conditions. So Jackett said in the week he now knows his No 1 GK. So I assume that means it is Bass? That's about 15 games undefeated at Fortress Fratton (can call it that now) - last game I remember us losing at home was against Peterborough late last season. Not sure why, but I feel we might be on our way, especially if we keep playing like we did in the first half today. We were impressive. Even my Wimbledon mate said so!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

First half was excellent, expansive fast attacking football. We just needed more goals really. 2nd we just lacked the urgency I felt which sort of allowed Wimbledon to creep back into the game, but their equaliser was a complete shock. We upped the temp & got the winner. It was quite windy so maybe playing into it first half suited us better.
Promotion is there for us, just need to be brave with subs & team selections which KJ got spot on yesterday.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

I thought Ragett played really well and probably deserved the MoM . I said earlier in the season I thought he and Burgess were starting to look like more of a unit then he didn't play again for a while though I can't remember why ? I also thought Curtis was outstanding again .
Had I had one too many Guinness or were we doing quite a lot of accurate high tempo passing in the midfield as well ?
It was also nice to see the centre midfield pushing up a bit more and not leaving 40 yards between them and Harrison as used to happen far to often.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by FatBlueAde »

Thanks SB appreciate the added colour, when all you have to go on is the radio commentary it is really appreciated.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by FatBlueAde »

Thanks SB appreciate the added colour, when all you have to go on is the radio commentary it is really appreciated.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

:)
Marquis scoring the kind of goal we signed him for.
Speed and energy of the side - particularly in the first half from Cannon
:D Whatmough getting closer because.......

:(
.....awful Dons goal. Failure to cut out and failure to track Piggott. Feel a bit for Alex Bass. He hasn't put a foot wrong but is still waiting for his first clean sheet.
We always need a second!

:|
Jury out on McGeehan. Faded away in the second half - probably in need of more games to get up to speed. Wonder if KJ is thinking about including him and Jack into the midweek reserve game.

Moving in the right direction - but I wonder if anyone is going to be able to keep pace with Sunderland who finally look like they've got their act together.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

"Moving in the right direction - but I wonder if anyone is going to be able to keep pace with Sunderland who finally look like they've got their act together"

Will get a close look at them soon!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 am Jury out on McGeehan. Faded away in the second half - probably in need of more games to get up to speed. Wonder if KJ is thinking about including him and Jack into the midweek reserve game.
Interesting. I didn't think he faded at all. Was actually saying to my sons how fit I thought he looked. He's a great signing if he continues to play like that. The huge hole in midfield seems to have been filled!

Oh, on another note, the Fratton Faithful were absolutely woeful yesterday. Worst atmosphere all season, not that it has been great anyway.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Selsey Bill wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:45 am Jury out on McGeehan. Faded away in the second half - probably in need of more games to get up to speed. Wonder if KJ is thinking about including him and Jack into the midweek reserve game.
Interesting. I didn't think he faded at all. Was actually saying to my sons how fit I thought he looked. He's a great signing if he continues to play like that. The huge hole in midfield seems to have been filled!

Oh, on another note, the Fratton Faithful were absolutely woeful yesterday. Worst atmosphere all season, not that it has been great anyway.
Besides a couple of hundred in the fratton end it's been crap for ages .