Milton End Plans

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Milton End Plans

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I think it looks good, and is probably the least that needs to happen in order to keep that end functional and open. Also probably the most that can be done without compulsory buying lots of houses.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pleased to see the plans released, now a planning application please & no more talk for the time being of we wont build it until NR build a new bridge or put up 50% funding for a bridge.
This new ME puts 400 extra seats on the capacity, not all will be using Goldsmith Ave, the bridge is no excuse so get it done!!
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

This Time Next Year wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:00 pm
New Forester wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:29 pm So what are likely to be reasons for it to be rejected by the planners?
Objections from locals? - Though can't see light levels would be much changed
Increased traffic / footfall from attendance with no allowance or plan to handle increased traffic?
Endangered centipedes living in dog s#!t alley?
Southampton fans on the planning approvals board?
Brent Geese?

Also, don't rule out planning permission being granted but it still not going ahead...
Money?
Shelved in favour of bigger grander plans, that themselves fall through?
Outbreak of WW3?
Resourcing issues post Brexit after loss of EU workers?

Take your pick if you're feeling pessimistic :D :lol: :thumb
Personally, I like the plans and applaud the club for developing them.

However, reading between the lines of their description on the club's website, I suspect that they depend on gaining finance and approval for the access plans for the proposed Fratton bridge link, etc.

Delighed to be proved wrong, but I'm not holding my breath!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Since writing the above post, I've just seen the News article on the same topic published today, 14th January.

I quote, "The planning application for the Milton End proposal will be lodged within the next fortnight. Yet, if approved, the Blues’ owners will not begin construction until they hear assurances during a number of crunch meetings planned in forthcoming weeks."

In the same article, Mark Catlin then goes on to say, "Now it’s for us to get together with the council, Network Rail, the Highways Agency, local government and national government and see what they can do to support us.

‘We are looking for them to help trigger this – and we feel it will also bring them much wider opportunity and prospects for the larger Fratton area.

‘We don’t want to be investing a significant amount of millions into the Milton End if, ultimately, we can’t achieve our ambitions at Fratton Park."

Bringing together these outside decision-makers is at best, ambitious. And, at worst, pie in the sky.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Underwhelmed, frankly.
Practical? Probably.
Ambitious? Yes.............if we were Dagenham and Redbridge.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Perhaps a tad harsh @Dinksy. Until we are certain about the long term future (Redevelop FP vs New Stadium) I think it wise not to go over-the-top at this stage

Personally, I would prefer underwhelming and practical to overwhelming but impossible.

Remember this? https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-8473150
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I've read the statements and interviews today and have taken it as, the overall plan is in 4 phases (one for each stand?).

This is phase one, but until other parties start to show some willing to assist the rest of the plan won't be released.

I think this is a good move by PFC in order to fulfill the bigger plan the club need some other agencies to play ball or at least be on board and committed to improving the infrastructure, this isn't just for the club but for the city - and their (other agencies own interests).

I don't buy into the council have never helped PFC - they have never rejected a planning application from the club. The authority can't just magic us up some land that doesn't exist, were extremely limited with land and what we can do at fratton, especially the Milton end. The fact that this is a refurb and doesn't look to increase the hight etc.. of the stadium should make it very hard for the application to be rejected - there will be conditions put on it, and slight amendments made to the plan but that's not unusual.

A show of intent from the football club (to the tune of s several million refurbishment) shows the outside organisations they are serious about staying at Fratton, this will make the sell to the public bodies easier. Effectively - PFC are saying we are here for the long term, be receptive to our plans, be accomodating and let's improve the whole area for the long term future - be under no mistake the council and network rail will already have planed work to do to their assets in the area already - but they wouldn't refurbish fratton station or fund / part fund a bridge ahead of other planned work until we show some serious intent and commitment to staying at Fratton Park.

There is a very similar issue in Barnsley where a level crossing is being replaced by a bridge, network rail were going to put a functional bridge in place as is their standard approach, but they are now jointing funding a (£2.5million each) with the council as the bridge is seen as a key gateway to an area that is being regenerated - it also need to take people to the football ground. I could see a situation like this unfolding at Fratton - neither party will fund it solely as they all have different objectives, but they maybe able to meet somewhere towards the middle. If we dip our hands in our pockets first - it's not that long ago we didn't pay the bills and companies went bust.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

GreenBlue wrote:Perhaps a tad harsh @Dinksy. Until we are certain about the long term future (Redevelop FP vs New Stadium) I think it wise not to go over-the-top at this stage

Personally, I would prefer underwhelming and practical to overwhelming but impossible.

Remember this? https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... -1-8473150
I take your point GB. It is, as they say, 'complicated'. I don't mind a bit of fudge which is what it will be in the end I suppose but I hope it doesn't end in a blame game about why we are not doing anything substantial.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:20 pm Underwhelmed, frankly.
Practical? Probably.
Ambitious? Yes.............if we were Dagenham and Redbridge.
My sentiments exactly. And I don't know how we are going to get a bridge out of the railway when we can't even get an extra train going Chichester way after Tuesday night games . I and several hundred others are stuck on fratton station for almost an hour .
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I agree entirely with 'No Shot Sherlock'. I am disappointed that the capacity increase is so modest - only around 2000 plus. That's not going to provide any significant increased income. Why couldn't we add another tier? Are the houses behind still a problem? The only really positive aspect for me is the disabled provision. I realise that there may be other plans to come for the other stand rebuildings but that would seem to be a long way off. Also making it conditional on the major changes to the Fratton Railway Station and Goldsmith Avenue throws the development into real doubt, given that demands a major financial commitment from the Railway Board which may easily be rebuffed..
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

streetrifle wrote:I agree entirely with 'No Shot Sherlock'. I am disappointed that the capacity increase is so modest - only around 2000 plus. That's not going to provide any significant increased income. Why couldn't we add another tier? Are the houses behind still a problem? The only really positive aspect for me is the disabled provision. I realise that there may be other plans to come for the other stand rebuildings but that would seem to be a long way off. Also making it conditional on the major changes to the Fratton Railway Station and Goldsmith Avenue throws the development into real doubt, given that demands a major financial commitment from the Railway Board which may easily be rebuffed..
Cant go higher. Someone on here a while back said it doesn't matter anymore (right to light), well it clearly does. Problem is I wouldn't want it if I lived there (Englishman's home is his castle & all that)It does look temporary to me.
For the life of me I cannot understand the reluctance to turn the ground through 90 degrees. It really would solve all the problems.
Now they want to build a hotel as part of the refurb of FP-great but not to the extent of taking their eye of the ball on how they got the gig. FP must come first surely.
I don't mind the look of the design, but for a extra 400 seats?? And all the fuss of a new rail footbridge.!!
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Having just read through the comments on this thread they are, as I expected, very divisive. Having said that, I've read similar 'conversations' on Facebook and Twitter and they make the comments on this board look very tame! If we're not going to move, which is looking more and more likely, at least this is a start and as others have stated, it is a massive uplift for the disabled supporters, home and away, the facilities for which have, quite frankly, been an embarrassment. The key for me would be the redevelopment of the North Stand where we could not only go up, but include corporate hospitality, etc. Added to that, if we were to wrap around the two corners at the Fratton End, I can't see why we couldn't get to at least a 25,000, or possibly 30,000 seater stadium which I've always felt seems about right?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 am Having just read through the comments on this thread they are, as I expected, very divisive. Having said that, I've read similar 'conversations' on Facebook and Twitter and they make the comments on this board look very tame! If we're not going to move, which is looking more and more likely, at least this is a start and as others have stated, it is a massive uplift for the disabled supporters, home and away, the facilities for which have, quite frankly, been an embarrassment. The key for me would be the redevelopment of the North Stand where we could not only go up, but include corporate hospitality, etc. Added to that, if we were to wrap around the two corners at the Fratton End, I can't see why we couldn't get to at least a 25,000, or possibly 30,000 seater stadium which I've always felt seems about right?
Still a sow's ear though.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 am
Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 am Having just read through the comments on this thread they are, as I expected, very divisive. Having said that, I've read similar 'conversations' on Facebook and Twitter and they make the comments on this board look very tame! If we're not going to move, which is looking more and more likely, at least this is a start and as others have stated, it is a massive uplift for the disabled supporters, home and away, the facilities for which have, quite frankly, been an embarrassment. The key for me would be the redevelopment of the North Stand where we could not only go up, but include corporate hospitality, etc. Added to that, if we were to wrap around the two corners at the Fratton End, I can't see why we couldn't get to at least a 25,000, or possibly 30,000 seater stadium which I've always felt seems about right?
Still a sow's ear though.
...or a turd :lol:
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I still really like it, and I might have to sit in.