General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, lakespfc, Chris_in_LA, Admin, General Mods

By No Shot Sherlock
#893060
Selsey Bill wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 am
Selsey Bill wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 am
Having just read through the comments on this thread they are, as I expected, very divisive. Having said that, I've read similar 'conversations' on Facebook and Twitter and they make the comments on this board look very tame! If we're not going to move, which is looking more and more likely, at least this is a start and as others have stated, it is a massive uplift for the disabled supporters, home and away, the facilities for which have, quite frankly, been an embarrassment. The key for me would be the redevelopment of the North Stand where we could not only go up, but include corporate hospitality, etc. Added to that, if we were to wrap around the two corners at the Fratton End, I can't see why we couldn't get to at least a 25,000, or possibly 30,000 seater stadium which I've always felt seems about right?
Still a sow's ear though.
...or a turd :lol:
Keep polishing :wink:
By PakefieldBlue
#893066
I still have faith in the Eisners and Mark Catlin and I reckon that in 10 years time we'll be saying "it has all worked out well in the end". I'd still take a slightly lop-sided Fratton Park over a soul-less flat-pack stadium in the middle of nowhere any day.

And I also wonder if the Eisners have their eye on buying the Pompey Centre retail area, not for a ground but as part of a retail/entertainment complex to maximise their revenue. Catlin keeps talking about the regeneration of the Fratton area, I think they have big plans.
By Pompey1984+1
#893071
If you listen to Mark Caitlins latest interview he talks about the wider Fratton area a lot, hotels conferences and even music concerts.
By No Shot Sherlock
#893080
Pompey1984+1 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 pm
If you listen to Mark Caitlins latest interview he talks about the wider Fratton area a lot, hotels conferences and even music concerts.
Which is exactly the kind of development I've been saying is needed. The club cannot be self-financing at Championship level on gate receipts alone. Any Stadium plan has to include other revenue generating streams giving 365-day per year income.
User avatar
By Portchester PFC
#893091
I think they need a roof at the back to cover the concourse, otherwise in inclement weather it will never get used. Perhaps some sort of retractable roofing system so when the sun is shining people can enjoy it.

But crucially, I believe that these plans, or Phase 1, are just a toe in the water to get the reaction they want from the local authority and network rail, when that rejection is received as expected, then they will move ahead with plans to relocate FP, citing the stubbornness of the LA and NR for the reluctant move away from FP. Locksway Road, will be the new home of Pompey, a large commercial centre and entertainment complex.
User avatar
By Locky_McLockface
#893105
PakefieldBlue wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:06 am
And I also wonder if the Eisners have their eye on buying the Pompey Centre retail area, not for a ground but as part of a retail/entertainment complex to maximise their revenue. Catlin keeps talking about the regeneration of the Fratton area, I think they have big plans.
Was there not something in the news a few months ago saying that Sellars were looking to sell the Pompey Centre?

Edited:-

Yes, a quick Google has shown there was a story in the News in November last year, asking £56M.
By Milton End
#893107
Locky_McLockface wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:43 am
PakefieldBlue wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:06 am
And I also wonder if the Eisners have their eye on buying the Pompey Centre retail area, not for a ground but as part of a retail/entertainment complex to maximise their revenue. Catlin keeps talking about the regeneration of the Fratton area, I think they have big plans.
Was there not something in the news a few months ago saying that Sellars were looking to sell the Pompey Centre?

Edited:-

Yes, a quick Google has shown there was a story in the News in November last year, asking £56M.
The Mark Catlin interview on the PFC website makes it clear that the full development, if approved, will "transform" the whole Fratton area. £56 million will be well within the Eisner's financial resources. Hence, I agree with you and suspect that this is part of the package.

Catlin also talks about putting up a hotel and conference suite on the North Stand site as well as extending the seating. He makes it clear that they see this as essential in order to transform the current business model into something fit for the Championship and PL - totally correct IMO.

He mentions a park-and-ride agreement either with the local council or with an outside contractor: my guess, this would be either from the existing M275 facility (where there are plans to add a second storey) or from a new site at Farlington next to the hotel.

He says that all this is dependent on improvements to the highway and to Fratton station. I was driving through the junction at Velder Avenue and Milton Road yesterday and can see what he means: it simply would not take the planned traffic. Moreover, Fratton station cannot even take full-length trains at present and has poor access to the club site. The Sellars property acquisition would help to open this up.

Potentially, this whole development has the ability to turn PFC Fratton into a major entertainment complex, including football along with other activities. Last year, I visited the Aston Villa Football Club venue for an evening dinner. It's OK but not particularly impressive and the limited space seems to be largely for football and for sponsored business dinners.

The Eisners have the imagination and the business experience to build a much more attractive complete entertainment venue at Fratton Park. Ths would be good both for the club and for the city of Portsmouth. Hence, I strongly support their proposals for Phase 1.
User avatar
By Locky_McLockface
#893108
Milton End wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 am
Locky_McLockface wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:43 am
PakefieldBlue wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:06 am
And I also wonder if the Eisners have their eye on buying the Pompey Centre retail area, not for a ground but as part of a retail/entertainment complex to maximise their revenue. Catlin keeps talking about the regeneration of the Fratton area, I think they have big plans.
Was there not something in the news a few months ago saying that Sellars were looking to sell the Pompey Centre?

Edited:-

Yes, a quick Google has shown there was a story in the News in November last year, asking £56M.
The Mark Catlin interview on the PFC website makes it clear that the full development, if approved, will "transform" the whole Fratton area. £56 million will be well within the Eisner's financial resources. Hence, I agree with you and suspect that this is part of the package.

Catlin also talks about putting up a hotel and conference suite on the North Stand site as well as extending the seating. He makes it clear that they see this as essential in order to transform the current business model into something fit for the Championship and PL - totally correct IMO.

He mentions a park-and-ride agreement either with the local council or with an outside contractor: my guess, this would be either from the existing M275 facility (where there are plans to add a second storey) or from a new site at Farlington next to the hotel.

He says that all this is dependent on improvements to the highway and to Fratton station. I was driving through the junction at Velder Avenue and Milton Road yesterday and can see what he means: it simply would not take the planned traffic. Moreover, Fratton station cannot even take full-length trains at present and has poor access to the club site. The Sellars property acquisition would help to open this up.

Potentially, this whole development has the ability to turn PFC Fratton into a major entertainment complex, including football along with other activities. Last year, I visited the Aston Villa Football Club venue for an evening dinner. It's OK but not particularly impressive and the limited space seems to be largely for football and for sponsored business dinners.

The Eisners have the imagination and the business experience to build a much more attractive complete entertainment venue at Fratton Park. Ths would be good both for the club and for the city of Portsmouth. Hence, I strongly support their proposals for Phase 1.
My guess for a park & ride would be Lakeside Northarbour. This is now owned by the council, and was used as the P&R for the city centre prior to the current site being built.
By Milton End
#893113
Your guess is better than mine!

Anywhere in Farlington will always be linked to the geese that scuppered a previous stadium! [Though I was thinking of the area that is already partially tarmaced next to the petrol station and hotel.]
User avatar
By Locky_McLockface
#893123
Milton End wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:17 pm
Your guess is better than mine!

Anywhere in Farlington will always be linked to the geese that scuppered a previous stadium! [Though I was thinking of the area that is already partially tarmaced next to the petrol station and hotel.]
Way too small. It can't cope with the number of players playing on the pitches there on a Sunday morning, let alone 20K people wanting to go to FP.
User avatar
By Portchester PFC
#893152
GreenBlue wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:20 pm
Just out of interest, was the idea of a stadium at Horsea Island completely killed off?
For me it would be a great place but the transport could be a problem, its got buses but the nearest train is Portchester or Cosham, both a hefty walk. Getting in and out with cars could be a major issue, it would need a dedicated on/off from the Motorway.

I still believe Locksway Road is where they will go but King George V playing fields at Cosham would be a great venue,decent existing road access, Cosham Station a stones throw away (might need some work though) and buses all go past that area. There is plenty of land there, most of the footy pitches are not being utilised, could swop Roko to provide the public pitches and have the whole Pompey set up at KGV, including training ground.
User avatar
By Locky_McLockface
#893170
Portchester PFC wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:48 pm
GreenBlue wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:20 pm
Just out of interest, was the idea of a stadium at Horsea Island completely killed off?
For me it would be a great place but the transport could be a problem, its got buses but the nearest train is Portchester or Cosham, both a hefty walk. Getting in and out with cars could be a major issue, it would need a dedicated on/off from the Motorway.

I still believe Locksway Road is where they will go but King George V playing fields at Cosham would be a great venue,decent existing road access, Cosham Station a stones throw away (might need some work though) and buses all go past that area. There is plenty of land there, most of the footy pitches are not being utilised, could swop Roko to provide the public pitches and have the whole Pompey set up at KGV, including training ground.
The pitches there are used quite a lot, actually. My team are there Sunday morning.

There is also the little thing about the covenant that King George V decreed that it shall not be used for anything other than public playing fields.
User avatar
By Portchester PFC
#893174
Locky_McLockface wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:16 pm
Portchester PFC wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:48 pm
GreenBlue wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:20 pm
Just out of interest, was the idea of a stadium at Horsea Island completely killed off?
For me it would be a great place but the transport could be a problem, its got buses but the nearest train is Portchester or Cosham, both a hefty walk. Getting in and out with cars could be a major issue, it would need a dedicated on/off from the Motorway.

I still believe Locksway Road is where they will go but King George V playing fields at Cosham would be a great venue,decent existing road access, Cosham Station a stones throw away (might need some work though) and buses all go past that area. There is plenty of land there, most of the footy pitches are not being utilised, could swop Roko to provide the public pitches and have the whole Pompey set up at KGV, including training ground.
The pitches there are used quite a lot, actually. My team are there Sunday morning.

There is also the little thing about the covenant that King George V decreed that it shall not be used for anything other than public playing fields.
They are used Locky, but i dont think they are used as much as they used to be and could easily be accommodated elsewhere such as Roko if Pompey moved out.

Part of it could still be used as public playing fields, I am guessing the old IBM offices there were built on part of it at some time.

Anyway, dont think he would be in a position to object :rofl

out

MK Dons

Shaping up nicely.

Accrington Stanley 2 v 1 Tranmere Rovers AFC Wimb[…]

HTH fixtures Bye Northender Wight Rich Robljh R[…]