Barnsley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Barnsley

Post by GreenBlue »

Somewhat surprisingly to me, the bookies have us as favourites to progress to the FA Cup 5th round. I know Barnsley are near the foot of the Championship and in effect only 9 places above us but I believe that a the levels of money now involved in the Championship has enabled a gulf to grow between the second and third tiers of English football.

I'd of course love for the bookies to be proved correct today however my main concern is that we will start to see a similar pattern between the Championship and League one as we used to see so regularly between the Premier League and Championship where the relegated sides are so strong that they go straight back up. Just look at current positions right now of Rotherham and a relatively poor Ipswich. If Pompey are serious about entertaining thoughts of returning to the Championship and higher, it must happen sooner rather than later as it will be increasingly difficult trying to battle over a season against teams with massively superior financial clout.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Barnsley

Post by Dinksy »

Agreed GB. the Championship is a very different place to the one we left in 2012 and the difference gets bigger by the year. There is a very big 'if' in your post which we will know the answer to if we go up. It's possible that the revenue streams of ground development as talked about by Mark Catlin recently are a prerequisite for funding that kind of ambition. And if that's the case, it could be a very long wait.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I think the prem parachute payments have been a disaster for competitiveness in The Second Division. Clubs ought to be obliged to offer contracts that are akin to: Ok prem player, heres 100k per week BUT if we go down its 20 k per week
Div III. Call it what it is.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Clearly the bookies knowledge is far superior to mine. 2-0 at half time. Play Up Pompey!
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Just seen this stat...
8 - @Pompey striker John Marquis has scored eight goals in the FA Cup proper, with each strike coming at a different stadium. Collector. #FACup
Not too bad for a striker that really hasn't impressed in my opinion. Maybe he's just needed time?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Two wins from another visit to Wembley. :mrgreen:
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

And just to tighten things up in League One - Peterborough beat Rotherham.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

A really entertaining afternoon. Pompey fully deserved their win. Very open play. Both teams lost possession frequently but also played a lot of attacking football. The crowd was in fine form. Over 13,000 - not bad considering the price. Saints charged adults £10 - not sure what their attendance was.* Burgess was MOM. Cannon and Williams impressed. No injuries. Great afternoon made even better by the cricket score.

Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

If we played like that every game wed be storming the league. Barnsley were pretty poor tho 😆
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Barnsley were so poor that Raggett looked a decent player!

But we did play well and with confidence and the crowd were the best they've been for a long time despite the rather diminished attendance. Happy days!
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

RubiconCSL wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:09 pm Just seen this stat...
8 - @Pompey striker John Marquis has scored eight goals in the FA Cup proper, with each strike coming at a different stadium. Collector. #FACup
Not too bad for a striker that really hasn't impressed in my opinion. Maybe he's just needed time?
I hope the rest of the squad keep an eye on their wallets when he's around .
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Plus points from Barnsley game:
Cannon is dynamic in that form. So strong on the ball and regularly makes things happen. Tremendous stamina.
Bolton is looking better and better, it seems like a good run in the team has built his confidence and he MAY be the answer to the right back problem, although Haunstrup is still a big contender
Seddon's delivery from set-pieces is the best we have seen for a long time. At last we are scoring and menacing from corners. And he looks like a decent full back into the bargain and should hold his place even when Brown returns. He should be bought if the chance is there.
Marquis is a goal poacher extrordinaire from close in but not really threatening from anywhere else, not that we're complaining.
Close is a good finisher from 20-30 yards outside the box, and is worth probably 10-15 goals a season is played regularly.
Couldn't fault Raggett yesterday even if a lot of people were ready to do so. Does the simple things well, positionally is good and kicks it and heads it away time and time again which is all you ask for. Burgess is thriving with him alongside.
Williams was disappointing for me, didn't go past a defender all afternoon and crossing was poor. His heading is weak and he rarely times his jump properly.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

streetrifle wrote:Plus points from Barnsley game:
Cannon is dynamic in that form. So strong on the ball and regularly makes things happen. Tremendous stamina.
Bolton is looking better and better, it seems like a good run in the team has built his confidence and he MAY be the answer to the right back problem, although Haunstrup is still a big contender
Seddon's delivery from set-pieces is the best we have seen for a long time. At last we are scoring and menacing from corners. And he looks like a decent full back into the bargain and should hold his place even when Brown returns. He should be bought if the chance is there.
Marquis is a goal poacher extrordinaire from close in but not really threatening from anywhere else, not that we're complaining.
Close is a good finisher from 20-30 yards outside the box, and is worth probably 10-15 goals a season is played regularly.
Couldn't fault Raggett yesterday even if a lot of people were ready to do so. Does the simple things well, positionally is good and kicks it and heads it away time and time again which is all you ask for. Burgess is thriving with him alongside.
Williams was disappointing for me, didn't go past a defender all afternoon and crossing was poor. His heading is weak and he rarely times his jump properly.
If I was to do a write up this is it. Spot on . :thumb
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I work with A LOT of Barnsley season ticket holders - Might head in early tomorrow.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

streetrifle wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:37 pm Plus points from Barnsley game:
Revelation of the season award goes to Andy Cannon. My one criticism is that he needs to decide to pass it quicker, on a few occasions he kept it and kept it and kept it, and ended up on top of a Barnsley player, each desperately trying to kick the ball through the legs of the other. I normally only see that kind of thing on a Sunday with my U12s.

OK, I haven't been to a game since August, but I really don't see what people's beef is with Sean Raggett. The only thing he needs is a goal like Christian's.

Seddon. Buy this player. When is his contract at Brum up? Far better delivery than Brown.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour