The League or EFL Trophy?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

If you could only pick one...

The League
85%
The Cup
15%

Total votes: 13

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

The League or EFL Trophy?

Post by Sam_Brown »

If you had to pick one which one would you pick and why?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Re: The League or EFL Trophy?

Post by This Time Next Year »

Do you mean win the league? If so, no brainer.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

How is anyone choosing the EFL Trophy over promotion?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

The League and the EFL Trophy ;-)

League all day long...
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

At the start of the season I was criticized when I said we would win the EFL trophy again and 'come close but a narrow miss on promotion via the play-offs' I believed the owners didn't want the expense of promotion ahead of their schedule, but, being American, would be happy to have some silverware to show off our success.

I still hold by that prediction...but now they can also add an unlucky loss to Arsenal into the equation :-)

Though I did vote League
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Ghengis Jones
Robbie Pethick

Post by Ghengis Jones »

I'm pleased that we don't get to choose. Although getting promoted is a bigger achievement and greater sign of an improving club, you only have to look at last season's promoted teams and see that there would be every chance of a tough (possibly miserable) season in the Championship. Then again, You don't know if you don't try. I've been a fan long enough to know that miserable seasons are part and parcel, so, if pushed, I would prefer promotion.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I confess that during my playing days in sport, I always enjoyed fighting for promotion rather than fighting against relegation. And I recall spending many years doing both! And I prefer to see a team winning more than losing. So I guess that leaves me happy finishing third but unhappy with losing in a play off final. All very confusing. These days, being realistic, I'd settle for a mid table Championship position. But now approaching my 80s, I'll go happy having seen two First Division titles as well as all our other successes - plus being at the '66 World Cup Final and London Olympics. What more could a sports fan wish for? Not to mention ........
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Of course the answer is promotion. Even if we find it tough in the Championship, it will be worthwhile provided we don't try and compete financially with those clubs losing £10M+ per year. EFL Trophy would at this point be a bit of an anti-climax having (a) won it last year, and (b) there being no Sunderland left in the competition to provide a memorable final experience (maybe Leicester U-21s would get a good turnout?).

Maybe a more interesting question is if we win the EFL Trophy, get knocked out of the cup by Arsenal in the last 16 and then lose in the play-offs, would we consider that a successful and acceptable season? Basically, the same as last year with one more round of the cup and in a much weaker L1. I would say yes, but I would also understand if people took this (along with the inevitable loss of Curtis & others(?)) as a step backwards.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:45 am Of course the answer is promotion. Even if we find it tough in the Championship, it will be worthwhile provided we don't try and compete financially with those clubs losing £10M+ per year. EFL Trophy would at this point be a bit of an anti-climax having (a) won it last year, and (b) there being no Sunderland left in the competition to provide a memorable final experience (maybe Leicester U-21s would get a good turnout?).

Maybe a more interesting question is if we win the EFL Trophy, get knocked out of the cup by Arsenal in the last 16 and then lose in the play-offs, would we consider that a successful and acceptable season? Basically, the same as last year with one more round of the cup and in a much weaker L1. I would say yes, but I would also understand if people took this (along with the inevitable loss of Curtis & others(?)) as a step backwards.
Yeah, I would not see it as success. I define success for this season as being an improvement on last season, and I don't really count an additional FA Cup game as an improvement. I wouldn't even class making the play-off final as success, if we didn't then win the final and therefore be promoted.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I think its shameful you lot consider it an either/or option.

How about we win both, and not use one as an excuse for failure in the other. Its a large squad of in-form and match-fit competent professionals. The nine on the bench on Saturday would be a match for any team at this level.

Play Up Pompey. Bring it on.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Ghengis Jones
Robbie Pethick

Post by Ghengis Jones »

Its just a debate about the merits of two theoretical outcomes.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Excuse me for hijacking your post Sam B, but allow me to ask

Which match would you rather win? Arsenal or Exeter? Tricky one for me personally.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Actually, not tricky. Exeter for me.