Arsenal or Bournemouth

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Arsenal or Bournemouth

Post by Selsey Bill »

New Forester wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 pm Wife’s birthday. Only just been forgiven for saying at a party that the happiest moment of my life was being at Wembley for the final whistle in 1966. Can I push my luck?
Yes. Take her to the game. Took my missus to Checkatrade Final last year - as you may recall it was played on Mothers Day!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="Selsey Bill" post_id=893509 time=1581082381 user_id=237]
[quote="New Forester" post_id=893503 time=1581011196 user_id=42845]
Wife’s birthday. Only just been forgiven for saying at a party that the happiest moment of my life was being at Wembley for the final whistle in 1966. Can I push my luck?
[/quote]

Yes. Take her to the game. Took my missus to Checkatrade Final last year - as you may recall it was played on Mothers Day!
[/quote]

Classic you really know how to treat a Woman :smt003
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Wife’s birthday. Only just been forgiven for saying at a party that the happiest moment of my life was being at Wembley for the final whistle in 1966. Can I push my luck?
Wow! genuinely you were there in 1966? How amazing must that have been? Seeing as that was 54 years ago, and a very high percentage of those present would have been over 30 at the time, there are not many who will be able to boast that. Respect. :thumb
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I wonder if anyone who was at Wembley to see us win the FA Cup in 1939 is still around? i sincerely hope they are.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

The day of the 1966 final was fantastic. But I’ll never forget the feeling of looking at the Sunday papers. I bought most of them and still look at them from time to time. I was 23 at the time and cried uncontrollably at the final whistle.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

New Forester wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:47 pm The day of the 1966 final was fantastic. But I’ll never forget the feeling of looking at the Sunday papers. I bought most of them and still look at them from time to time. I was 23 at the time and cried uncontrollably at the final whistle.
There certainly used to be a poster on here who was there in '39. His name escapes me (I blame my age) but he even came along to one of the old 606 'bashes' with his programme and ticket from the day.

Edited to add - Past Memories who, it seems, was last active in November so hopefully still with us :D
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Like New Forrester I was at the '66 final...20 yo who, like probably thousands on the day shed some tears. Don't think I will ever see it happen again!! However, in my time I have had the privilege of seeing just about all the post war Pompey greats. I used to live in Copnor and as a kid played in what was the Civil Service Sports Ground (now Roco). Next to it used to be an Army base..they had a football pitch and a small stand from where I watched the likes of Johnny Gordon play for the army before he signed for Pompey. Great days!! 8)
Hamburg Skate
Paul Merson

Post by Hamburg Skate »

First time i have seen the highlights of this game, happy memories of early premiership days.
Quashie even manages to miss the goal by 30 yds. :rofl

Mike Trebilcock's late equaliser.
Brexit....Voted for it...Sorry i was wrong.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

I love the way Pompey fans still chant "Quashie Quashie" when a shot hits row Z. Most of our fans, let alone visiting fans, wouldn't have any idea what it's about. To make matters worse, we actually chant "Quarzie" not "Quashie".
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

eltorrro wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:39 pm Like New Forrester I was at the '66 final...20 yo who, like probably thousands on the day shed some tears. Don't think I will ever see it happen again!! However, in my time I have had the privilege of seeing just about all the post war Pompey greats. I used to live in Copnor and as a kid played in what was the Civil Service Sports Ground (now Roco). Next to it used to be an Army base..they had a football pitch and a small stand from where I watched the likes of Johnny Gordon play for the army before he signed for Pompey. Great days!! 8)
I was born in Copnor (Mayfield Road) at my grandparent's house just before the end of the war. I wasn't at the 1966 final, but my father was, and I have his ticket, a programme, and England and Germany rosettes framed and displayed on the wall at home. A proud possession!
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:00 pm
New Forester wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:47 pm The day of the 1966 final was fantastic. But I’ll never forget the feeling of looking at the Sunday papers. I bought most of them and still look at them from time to time. I was 23 at the time and cried uncontrollably at the final whistle.
There certainly used to be a poster on here who was there in '39. His name escapes me (I blame my age) but he even came along to one of the old 606 'bashes' with his programme and ticket from the day.

Edited to add - Past Memories who, it seems, was last active in November so hopefully still with us :D
Indeed I`m still with you, having had a heart attack mid Nov. and subsequent bypass surgery. Still in the process of recovery from that, takes a while for sternum to heal after being sawn in two.
First saw Pompey at Fratton in 1943. My ticket and program has been passed to one of my grandchildren to keep the memory going.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

past memories wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 am
Indeed I`m still with you, having had a heart attack mid Nov. and subsequent bypass surgery. Still in the process of recovery from that, takes a while for sternum to heal after being sawn in two.
First saw Pompey at Fratton in 1943. My ticket and program has been passed to one of my grandchildren to keep the memory going.
Glad to hear you're still with us PM, and hope you're fighting fit again soon. Just one small query, did you mean 1943 or 1933?

Good to hear your '39 memories have been passed on for safe keeping :thumb
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 am
past memories wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 am
Glad to hear you're still with us PM, and hope you're fighting fit again soon. Just one small query, did you mean 1943 or 1933?

Good to hear your '39 memories have been passed on for safe keeping :thumb
You are getting confused, the 39 final ticket I showed you was my Fathers, that was the third final he had seen Pompey in, he also went to the wartime one against Brentford, he was also with me at the 1966 World cup, or rather I was with him, as he arranged the tickets.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Hamburg Skate wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:17 am
Don't remind me. I'm still sore over Pires' blatant dive.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

past memories wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:20 am You are getting confused, the 39 final ticket I showed you was my Fathers, that was the third final he had seen Pompey in, he also went to the wartime one against Brentford, he was also with me at the 1966 World cup, or rather I was with him, as he arranged the tickets.
My apologies PM, I thought you'd been at the '39 final, albeit as a very young boy.