Coventry

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Coventry

Post by New Forester »

Just arrived home. Coach got stuck getting out of car park. Then M27 junctions closures tonight. Why do we do these things?! Match was scrappy. Agree about Marquis/Harrison issue.

The thing that struck me was the size and conduct of the Coventry crowd. They just don't deserve to be where they are. For a City with a catchment area of over half a million to produce just about 5000 fans for a promotion clash? And groundsharing is no excuse. They simply didn't wake up until they scored. 1500 Pompey fans demonstrated how to support a team throughout a match.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Key players underperforming or nullified made the difference. Not a sniff from the left side all night with Curtis and Seddon perhaps understandably feeling the toll of their recent high-energy performances. Marquis, his usual anonymous self, and Close and bit lost amongst the muscle of Coventry's midfield.
Ah well, I'm going to look at Rubicon's post again to cheer myself up...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

It was a turgid first half with Coventry probably just about shading it - I was surprised how little football they played. I keep hearing how their style is exceptional and nobody can cope with it. Personally I thought they offered little and we offered even less. That being said when we got the ball down we knocked it around more nicely than them. I never felt like we were going to conceed.

Second half started similar and then we started to get a foothold in the game. The injection of Harrison looked like a game changer, it just didn't come off for Harness.

Their goal was needless we didn't need to give away the throw in and from there the rest is history.

I wasn't impressed with Coventry at all, and there is a long way to go. If we can put another run together then last night doesn't matter.

I do think Marquis would have scored the chance Harrison had right at the death though.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:05 am If we can put another run together then last night doesn't matter.
I think this is critical. Saturday's game against Shrewsbury is now very important. There is no shame in losing away to Coventry, and if we had got two draws from the last two away matches it would seem better, but one point less than a W-L. Results around us were a mixed bag, but nothing critical especially with Wycombe losing at home. Don't panic, and just get back on the horse.

Too many times this season L1 teams have gone on a great run, and then lost a game which has spiralled into losing a few in a row, maybe with the odd draw (Oxford, Ipswich spring to mind as the most recent examples), and then drop down the table as confidence crumbles. It is important that we don't fall into the same trap.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Agreed, and I think we are more than capable of doing it.

I think we missed cannon last night, he seems to drive us forward and travel with the ball - we just couldn't get our widemen into the game.

Hey ho.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

I'm trying to post a photo here for the first time. This was St Andrews last night. Only two areas were open. A bit like a EFL Trophy match at Fratton Park.
Attachments
IMG_1641.jpg
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

The omens are good for Saturday. Our referee is Lee Swabey. His last four visits to Fratton Park have been Southend 4-1 , Rochdale 4-1 , Fleetwood 1-0 and Oxford Utd 4-1. I think I know what I'm going to predict in the La La League.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

For some of us that is not a good omen statistically. There's a greater chance the sequence will end rather than continuing!