Tough 12 days ahead, and then some

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Tough 12 days ahead, and then some

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

OldSpice wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:41 pm It would be wonderful to beat Coventry in the 6 pointer on Tuesday and thereby seal our record 10th consecutive win this year. I actually think that we can do just that PUP
it would indeed but with our games in hand over all the others and being away from home I'd take a draw before kick off.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Tuesday is one of our games in hand on Rotherham who aren't playing.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

It is also one of Coventry`s games in hand
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

OldSpice wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:41 pm It would be wonderful to beat Coventry in the 6 pointer on Tuesday and thereby seal our record 10th consecutive win this year. I actually think that we can do just that PUP
With the quality of squad we have, and the confidence we have on the back of some seriously good performances, I know full well we can do it. I'll take a draw, but there isn't a team in this league that we can't beat.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I am desperately worried about the effect this congested programme of matches coming up in three competitions will have on our promotion chances. Whatever Jackett says the tiredness factor is a big one and cost us dearly last season in the final run-in. By the time we came to the play offs we were completely 'shot away'.

What effect also will it have on the team if (1) we win through to Wembley again in that wretched Leasing.Com affair and kick off all the anticipation and excitement that brings , also (2) as can be expected, we exit the F A Cup, which game, with its big crowd and national focus, will inevitably take a lot out of us. In between we have a run of league games and how will they focus sufficiently on those?. I just don't think it bodes well for the run of wins we need for automatic promotion let alone the play-offs.

How can it be avoided. Little else but to put out a team of 'reserves' v. Exeter for a start.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

We do have a big gap between our penultimate match and our final game with Burton, although assuming we reach the EFL Trophy final the Bristol Rovers match will have to be re-arranged
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

streetrifle wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 pm I am desperately worried about the effect this congested programme of matches coming up in three competitions will have on our promotion chances. Whatever Jackett says the tiredness factor is a big one and cost us dearly last season in the final run-in. By the time we came to the play offs we were completely 'shot away'.

What effect also will it have on the team if (1) we win through to Wembley again in that wretched Leasing.Com affair and kick off all the anticipation and excitement that brings , also (2) as can be expected, we exit the F A Cup, which game, with its big crowd and national focus, will inevitably take a lot out of us. In between we have a run of league games and how will they focus sufficiently on those?. I just don't think it bodes well for the run of wins we need for automatic promotion let alone the play-offs.

How can it be avoided. Little else but to put out a team of 'reserves' v. Exeter for a start.
I'm with you on all of this.I already thought some of our players looked leggy on Tuesday night. However, if we put out a team of reserves against Exeter, I suspect they will beat us. They are a good side. I would still like another trip to Wembley, though I am not sure the highs of last March can be repeated.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Kenny has got to be prepared to rotate 1 or 2 players each game to conserve energy - Whatmaugh, McRorie, Harness, Evans, Hawkins, Brown are all simple changes that can be made and also use all 3 subs each game.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Not that concerned. We've had a packed schedule and won 9 of 10. Not at all interested in the whatever cup especially as we just won it and I'm sure Jackett will play an appropriate side against Exeter ….and anyhoo, Exeter are L2 in 3rd with a current form of DLLWW so they have other priorities too I should think. Focus on the league Kenny! (although play a full strength team against the gunners, I've got a good feeling about that one.)
Div III. Call it what it is.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I'd personally play a good squad against Exeter and use the Arsenal game to rest some (not all)
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Evans, Harrison and Harness all in today - I would have been tempted to give Jack some gametime ahead of Raggett today.