So, whats to be done with L1?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

So, whats to be done with L1?

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

With what, 10/11 games left I just don't see any way they are going to be made up. Nor do I see any way we'll resume with just the last game or 2.
That leaves:
1: The seasons positions are done, move to the play offs.
2: The season is abandoned. Start from scratch next year
Div III. Call it what it is.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: So, whats to be done with L1?

Post by Mr Dee »

Abandonment is the only fair choice .
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Teams have 8-10 games left. If we can start again on Saturday 2nd May, then the season could be completed by the end of June. Any significant delay beyond that would probably be insurmountable. Teams could play twice a week, which would finish the regular season by mid-June, leaving enough time for the play-offs, although the finals might not be at Wembley dependent on other bookings for the stadium. This would involve a number of assumptions.

Teams will be back in training by Easter. It is generally accepted that a player needs one day training for every day missed to be match fit again. So if we miss three weeks, it will require another three weeks before games can start. That will already be a squeeze, but as players are not injured they should be able to maintain some fitness at home (unless they fall ill themselves) and it could be trimmed a little.

Euro 2020 would be postponed to 2021, or at least the rule allowing postponement of games due to international call-ups would be suspended. Except in the most extreme circumstances (basically death), no games would be postponed for any other reason. Teams would have to be prepared to get on with it.

Loan deals would automatically, and across the EFL and EPL, be extended to the end of June (not the end of May).

The start of the 2020-21 season would be delayed to the end of August to allow players sufficient rest. As a result, some competitions might have to be abandoned for next season (EFL Cup and Trophy?).

Teams would have to accept from the (re)start that no solution will be 100% fair. They would have to agree to the arrangements, and that they will have no recourse to appeal or legal action after the event.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

This thing won't peak before May or June. The season is over.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

I know, I know....its hard to feel bad for Liverpool. But if the season gets cancelled, I'd feel bad for Liverpool. Even if they were awarded the title its not the same.
Meanwhile they can party in Villa /Norwich
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Thinking about it a little more, and having consumed a bit of wine, I don't see any other path than abandonment. How could you possibly, even legally relegate a team from the prem, with all that mullah at stake, based on an incomplete season?
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

But how could you not promote Leeds with all that mullah at stake? This is going to need the wisdom of Solomon, and then some.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

<dj.> wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:58 pm But how could you not promote Leeds with all that mullah at stake? This is going to need the wisdom of Solomon, and then some.
I'd be OK with cutting Leeds in half.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:01 pm Thinking about it a little more, and having consumed a bit of wine, I don't see any other path than abandonment. How could you possibly, even legally relegate a team from the prem, with all that mullah at stake, based on an incomplete season?
The legal ramifications of abandonment are huge I imagine, from clubs in all positions. I wonder if another option they are considering is finishing this season no matter when (which could even be the autumn). Then just doing a shortened version of next season e.g. every only plays each other once, only one cup competition etc. That way everyone knows what they are going to get ahead of time rather than changing the goalposts halfway through.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Honestly I cant see another ball being kicked until @ least August. Legal ramifications etc-whats more important? The health of the nation HAS to come 1st. Really is a no brainer imho.
Unprecedented times.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Look on the bright side, we could end up holding the EFL Trophy for six years, without kicking another ball :D
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Yet another Pompey record? In addition to our holding the FA Cup after 1939.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

pompeygunner wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 am Honestly I cant see another ball being kicked until @ least August. Legal ramifications etc-whats more important? The health of the nation HAS to come 1st. Really is a no brainer imho.
Unprecedented times.
You, me and most on this board might think like that, but the business community doesn't. Rugby league the latest, following airlines and others, to claim that they will go out of business without government payments. Get your claim in early and the lawyers on the move; there will be compensation to be had.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

As posed in an earlier post, If the season gets abandoned and becomes null and void will Bury be reinstated in League One at the start of next season?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:31 pm As posed in an earlier post, If the season gets abandoned and becomes null and void will Bury be reinstated in League One at the start of next season?
As I understand it, Bury are actually going properly bankrupt, not just placed into administration and relegated down the leagues. The club and all its holding companies, etc. will be completely wound up. Any phoenix club will have to be a totally new entity and start at an agreed level in non-league. However, given the present climate and the EFL anything could happen and I wouldn't be surprised.