So, whats to be done with L1?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: So, whats to be done with L1?

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Hate to be a party pooper, but this is only the first wave of this thing. The government's change of course yesterday is because the experts are now predicting that over 500,000 would die in the UK by August if they didn't. The downside is that if you limit the spread (and numbers of deaths) now, it will come back with a vengeance next winter. The gamble is that it buys enough time to manufacture the 10s of thousands of additional ventilators that will be needed by October and for progress to be made on anti-virals and towards a vacation.

By the time professional football kicks off again in this country, there may only be enough clubs that have survived to populate two divisions.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

pompeygunner wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 am Honestly I cant see another ball being kicked until @ least August. Legal ramifications etc-whats more important? The health of the nation HAS to come 1st. Really is a no brainer imho.
Unprecedented times.
I know you're right. You know you're right.

Sadly, those people who have an awful lot of, er, moolah at stake don't think like that.

I honestly think that the fairest thing to do is to abandon next season. Get this season finished, whenever that may be, and then reassess what's possible to do for the subsequent period before the start of the season after.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by phat_chris »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:28 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:14 am Honestly I cant see another ball being kicked until @ least August. Legal ramifications etc-whats more important? The health of the nation HAS to come 1st. Really is a no brainer imho.
Unprecedented times.
I know you're right. You know you're right.

Sadly, those people who have an awful lot of, er, moolah at stake don't think like that.

I honestly think that the fairest thing to do is to abandon next season. Get this season finished, whenever that may be, and then reassess what's possible to do for the subsequent period before the start of the season after.
This is definitely the fairest way to do things.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Confirmed that nothing is happening before the end of April.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... e-30-april
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

There's one tried and true method of resolving fixture pileups. The old school Sunday League method : double headers.

Start early on Sunday morning - two matches back to back. Every squad member available, rotating subs.

You know, I really can't believe I'm not head of the FA.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Weybridge wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:12 am There's one tried and true method of resolving fixture pileups. The old school Sunday League method : double headers.

Start early on Sunday morning - two matches back to back. Every squad member available, rotating subs.

You know, I really can't believe I'm not head of the FA.
That would be so much fun!
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

all the teams should get their best FIFA 2019 player and play out the missed fixtures in a day
Div III. Call it what it is.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Unprecedented times so I doubt very much whether this outcome is addressed in any competition rule book. Most Organisers, i.e. PL, EFL, FIFA etc have the ability to award a match to one side or another based on certain criteria usually based on teams being unable or unwilling to fulfil a fixture. I understand that this is not the case at all and the circumstances are totally different but seeing as we are so far through the season, One option could be to pump all the stats (and there is no shortage of those) into a super computer and let it work out the the most likely outcome with an element of chance built in. Let the games play out real time, a week at a time and get Jeff Stelling and crew to keep us updated. That'd make Saturday's exciting again and all the results this season will not have been in vane. Yes some teams will feel the fixtures went against them but don't they always anyway, be it luck, the referee, VAR etc...

Of course I'd rather see the season finished properly but that is looking ever more unlikely even with a delay so this'd be my suggestion rather than making the season null and void.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Everything below National Leage North & South (effectively Divisions 6A and 6B) cancelled and the season declared null and void.

Some people are not happy. We will see how this plays out, but might be the start of creeping annulment up the divisions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm Everything below National Leage North & South (effectively Divisions 6A and 6B) cancelled and the season declared null and void.

Some people are not happy. We will see how this plays out, but might be the start of creeping annulment up the divisions.

Maybe the FA testing the 'legal' waters in the minor leagues where very little financial business occurs. That could set the precedent for it to occur to the bigger leagues. Mind you, some top Premier Clubs would be happy to declare this season null and void !!!
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

uspompeyfan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:42 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm Everything below National Leage North & South (effectively Divisions 6A and 6B) cancelled and the season declared null and void.

Maybe the FA testing the 'legal' waters in the minor leagues where very little financial business occurs. That could set the precedent for it to occur to the bigger leagues. Mind you, some top Premier Clubs would be happy to declare this season null and void !!!
Spot on. Its a matter of time until the leagues is declared void. Feel bad for Liverplod and Leeds. Party time in Norwich/Villa/ Bolton (though gatherings of only 2)
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Surely they can't deny Liverpool the title?
Think of the millions it will cost us in public enquiries for the next thirty years
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Dinksy wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:18 pm Surely they can't deny Liverpool the title?
Yeah you'd think so wouldn't you. I guess it's less about Liverpool and the title and more about the principal of what decisions can you make now (like crowning Liverpool the Champions) and which ones are a bit more touch and go (like relegation and champions league places) due to how tight it is.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

How about we divide the current points by the number of games played, get the average points per game, add this to the current total and bingo :thumb

Of course, if this means Pompey miss out on automatic promotion, scrap that idea as its crap....
Heaven's Light Our Guide
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

I think Liverpool will take it like a man. The problem with giving them the title is that you then have to relegate and that's where all the legal wrangling's might begin. By declaring it all null and void no one really has too too much to cry about.

Though, it is a tad amusing that they haven't won a title in 30 yrs and they lost one chance because Gerrard slipped and another to a global pandemic