EFL Trophy Final. Enough is Enough?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

EFL Trophy Final. Enough is Enough?

Post by GreenBlue »

Just looking for a straw poll of opinions on who would feel comfortable attending the EFL Trophy final at Wembley any time during this calendar year? Having sold 50,000+ tickets for this, neither the EFL nor Leasing.com are going to be happy if it is cancelled. Therefore they are likely to try to get it played by hook or by crook. Salford fans will have no problems social distancing but the same cannot be said for Pompey fans.

Personally, I would now like to see the match played behind closed doors to get it out of the way and give a refund to all those who purchased tickets. The b@$tards will of course keep all booking and transaction fees.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: EFL Trophy Final. Enough is Enough?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Absolutely gutted if it doesn’t go ahead with the fans. Although yeah you’re right that does seem like the way it’s going. 50k+ fans? Who the hell wouldn’t want to be a part of that. The Sunderland game is probably my favourite game I’ve ever seen at Wembley. Yes it doesn’t have the glory of winning the FA Cup and that was a must see experience in its own right but if we’re talking about the drama and near transcendental experience of being in the crowd that day it’s not even close.

In the back of my head I was hoping foolishly it might be the first game with a crowd on TV. I mean what better way to open up the football than with one of the best fans in the world singing their hearts out! But yeah reality then sets in and you realise that it’s probably not going to happen. 😢
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I feel more strongly about the EFL Trophy than I do about the league, which is something that I never throught I would say.

Ten weeks (tomorrow) since we played in the league and all the arguing about what is going to happen has resulted in me losing interest in the league for this season. Added to the point (made by someone in another thread) that we don't deserve promotion (although neither do any of the other rubbish this season), and I would happily knock it on the head and start again in August. Let Coventry, Rotherham & Wycombe (!) go up.

On the other hand, the EFL Trophy is a one-off match and more of a day out than anything. I want to see the fans at Wembley again, and who knows when we will get another chance. We know the teams involved, so it is just a case of picking a date. I see no reason that it shouldn't be arranged for December with a crowd. If the Covid-19 isn't down to acceptable (e.g. the same order of magnitude as annual flu deaths) levels by then, we have a much bigger problem to worry about.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

The EFL trophy is all about the memories of a day out at Wembley. Don't see any sense in playing it at all if it was behind closed doors.
Not sure if I would go or not. If I had seen us there before, probably not. If I'd missed all the other trips and had this ticket...probably
Div III. Call it what it is.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

TBH it should be played in front of a crowd, no point otherwise. Even ff that means it's played after next years first round then that's fine. It's a one-pff game and can be slotted in somewhere if both clubs are in agreement. :thumb
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Bluesbro' wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:52 pm TBH it should be played in front of a crowd, no point otherwise. Even ff that means it's played after next years first round then that's fine. It's a one-pff game and can be slotted in somewhere if both clubs are in agreement. :thumb
+1

Full Wembley crowd essential in my view, otherwise not worth the effort.

Having bought the ticket, more than happy to wait.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:36 pm Just looking for a straw poll of opinions on who would feel comfortable attending the EFL Trophy final at Wembley any time during this calendar year? Having sold 50,000+ tickets for this, neither the EFL nor Leasing.com are going to be happy if it is cancelled. Therefore they are likely to try to get it played by hook or by crook. Salford fans will have no problems social distancing but the same cannot be said for Pompey fans.

Personally, I would now like to see the match played behind closed doors to get it out of the way and give a refund to all those who purchased tickets. The b@$tards will of course keep all booking and transaction fees.
"Salford fans will have no probs social distancing"....bwahahahahaaha
You know this will start a whole new range of footy songs. 100 fans of Bunghole Rovers spill into the Milton End

Are you social
Are you social
Are you social distancing
Div III. Call it what it is.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 am
GreenBlue wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:36 pm Just looking for a straw poll of opinions on who would feel comfortable attending the EFL Trophy final at Wembley any time during this calendar year? Having sold 50,000+ tickets for this, neither the EFL nor Leasing.com are going to be happy if it is cancelled. Therefore they are likely to try to get it played by hook or by crook. Salford fans will have no problems social distancing but the same cannot be said for Pompey fans.

"Salford fans will have no probs social distancing"....bwahahahahaaha
You know this will start a whole new range of footy songs. 100 fans of Bunghole Rovers spill into the Milton End

Are you social
Are you social
Are you social distancing
Also it would seem that the Salford players will have no problem social distancing - they released 11 of their squad last week.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think the best solution is for the EFA to not try and run the Leasing.com.whateveritscallednextseason cup when next season eventually restarts. Likewise with the League Cup, let the season by League games and the FA Cup only and this will reduce the financial burden on most teams.

This would reduce fixture congestion and also allow for the final for this season to be scheduled a year later. There has to be more chance that a final can be played at Wembley in front of the fans in April 2021 than this calendar year
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 am I think the best solution is for the EFA to not try and run the Leasing.com.whateveritscallednextseason cup when next season eventually restarts. Likewise with the League Cup, let the season by League games and the FA Cup only and this will reduce the financial burden on most teams.

This would reduce fixture congestion and also allow for the final for this season to be scheduled a year later. There has to be more chance that a final can be played at Wembley in front of the fans in April 2021 than this calendar year
I like this. I mean lets be honest this is a game for the fans. It's not exactly going to be a big money maker for the TV channels. Wait until we're able to get fans back in then let us have our chance to shine on TV. Let this game be the first game fans are allowed back on TV and show the world what we're all about! Got to be better than some crap prem crowd who can't even fill out the stadium!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:36 pm Just looking for a straw poll of opinions on who would feel comfortable attending the EFL Trophy final at Wembley any time during this calendar year?
As a 62 year old, I'd rather roll the dice than carry on as we are now. I'll take my chances. Please don't shoot me down, but I would have no issue in turning up to watch this game any time this year. Sorry, but we can't go on like this for ever. Apologies if I have upset anyone, not my intention.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:23 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:36 pm Just looking for a straw poll of opinions on who would feel comfortable attending the EFL Trophy final at Wembley any time during this calendar year?
As a 62 year old, I'd rather roll the dice than carry on as we are now. I'll take my chances. Please don't shoot me down, but I would have no issue in turning up to watch this game any time this year. Sorry, but we can't go on like this for ever. Apologies if I have upset anyone, not my intention.
I cannot see any possible way that this answer would have upset anyone. The intention of the original post was try try to gauge opinion and you did just that. Thank you.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

3 months on, I now just want my ticket money back. there is no way they are going to stage a match with 50k+ spectators at Wembley any time soon. Last years's final was such an amazing day but I really cannot even start to get excited about this as there are too many unanswered questions.

Make it a preseason friendly behind closed doors and just get it out of the way. Some have suggested this might be the first game with a return of fans, and it might well be, but my gut feeling at the moment would be to return my tickets and let others take my place.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

I'm at the point I'd just like to know either way. It's the lack of communication that's most frustrating to me.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Seems like we're still a very long way from full attendances.

Even my local lot, Staines Town, with their sub-200 average attendance in a 4000 capacity stadium can't play in front of anyone until Sept 19th at the earliest, friendlies or Cup.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."