EFL Decision, now June 8

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

EFL Decision, now June 8

Post by Weybridge »

June 8 - at the earliest. I suppose the longer the delay, the easier the decision gets for them.

No change on the unweighted ppg position, which I suppose is as much as we can hope for.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: EFL Decision, now June 8

Post by Dinksy »

Can't really see the point of this procrastination other than to allow a bit of legal leeway when Peterboro and Sunderland throw their toys out of the pram at the inevitable curtailment. The EFL will then say it would be impossible to fulfill the required fixtures in the time left.
It's just a matter of setting dates for the play-offs which presumably would now take place in the last week of June at the earliest
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

We are going up, say we are going up
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

I hope you're right SB. :-)

PUP - PPU !
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

It will be so good when we can start chatting about Pompey again instead of other things that are going on in the world.

... but that won't put an end to the disagreements on this site; Jackett in, Jackett out; Promotion better this season, better to stay in League 1 for one more season; EFL Trophy to be played behind closed doors, wait to play it until large crowds are lawful again etc.. :lol: PUP!!
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Jacket in. Get promoted this season. Play EFL trophy either way. PUP ⚽️😃
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

New Forester wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:27 pm Jacket in. Get promoted this season. Play EFL trophy either way. PUP ⚽️😃
Have to disagree with this - it was discussed on another thread that the side haven't won or scored a goal since mid March. Terrible stat but surprising we are still in a play off spot because those around us are doing no better. :twisted:
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

New Forester wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:27 pm Jacket in. Get promoted this season. Play EFL trophy either way. PUP ⚽️😃
I think I agree with you.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I don't understand why this was a straight vote to the 92 clubs. Void or play on. Majority wins it.

By the lack of direction from the football league it's rumbled on for ages and ages.

These clubs that can't afford to play out this season behind closed doors, what does that mean for the start of next season? Postponed till god knows when? How many clubs will be left by then?
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:17 am I don't understand why this was a straight vote to the 92 clubs. Void or play on. Majority wins it.

By the lack of direction from the football league it's rumbled on for ages and ages.

These clubs that can't afford to play out this season behind closed doors, what does that mean for the start of next season? Postponed till god knows when? How many clubs will be left by then?
Its also about Season Ticket sales. Too many of the smaller clubs are dependent on the up-front revenue. A delayed new season puts them at risk because they can't fund new player contracts. I'd argue the top 2.5 divisions could cope without season ticket sales, buts it'll be catastrophic to some clubs.

The Football League can't win. There's too big a disparity between clubs to make any one single vote fair. The best they can do is what they've done, leave it to the individual divisions to decide their own future.

I would have liked to have seen the Premier League step in and bail out the lower leagues by guaranteeing contracts. But that's never going to happen. They want the disparity.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Weybridge wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 am I would have liked to have seen the Premier League step in and bail out the lower leagues by guaranteeing contracts. But that's never going to happen. They want the disparity.
There was an article a couple of weeks ago (probably in The Guardian, but I forget) claiming that PL clubs were discussing the virus impact on lower leagues as an opportunity. As clubs struggle or go bust, they see it as a chance to push again for "feeder clubs" and B teams in the lower divisions, something that they have been wanting for years and the next step to a closed PL with lower league associated teams (as per US baseball). Possibly just speculation, but I'd bet those conversations have taken place behind closed doors.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm As clubs struggle or go bust, they see it as a chance to push again for "feeder clubs" and B teams in the lower divisions, something that they have been wanting for years and the next step to a closed PL with lower league associated teams (as per US baseball).
That would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to football in England.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:50 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 pm As clubs struggle or go bust, they see it as a chance to push again for "feeder clubs" and B teams in the lower divisions, something that they have been wanting for years and the next step to a closed PL with lower league associated teams (as per US baseball).
That would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to football in England.
...and what interest do (top) PL teams have in the best interests of football in England?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

B teams is what they'd be after. I absolutely hate the idea. But football in this country has become so selfish its untrue.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm ...and what interest do (top) PL teams have in the best interests of football in England?
Fair point.

From my viewpoint, Pompey would die as a club the day they become a feeder or B team for e.g. Chelsea or worse. No, I cannot comprehend that. Not a club as big as Portsmouth. Crawley maybe but not Pompey.