EFL Decision, now June 8

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: EFL Decision, now June 8

Post by rumourmonger »

Meeting now pushed back to Tuesday 9th June. Voting papers didn't go out until today and according to the regulations the clubs have to have 5 clear days before an EGM. Another day lost .
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

rumourmonger wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:17 pm Meeting now pushed back to Tuesday 9th June. Voting papers didn't go out until today and according to the regulations the clubs have to have 5 clear days before an EGM. Another day lost .
lol hard to tell if intentional or incompetence. Not sure what's worse.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Are Sunderland desperate to make the play-offs by hook or by crook as they could get a better price as a Championship side?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Sam_Brown wrote:
rumourmonger wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:17 pm Meeting now pushed back to Tuesday 9th June. Voting papers didn't go out until today and according to the regulations the clubs have to have 5 clear days before an EGM. Another day lost .
Every day that goes by piles on the pressure to complete all the fixtures by the end of July and sways a few more clubs against even trying. The maths ('math' - US fans) already don't look promising. Clubs have between six and eight fixtures remaining followed by the play offs and final. Assuming you play mid-week-Saturday every week, you could get nine fixtures done in July. That leaves three remaining assuming the final can be arranged immediately after the play-off second legs. Remember, for a third of the league sitting pretty in mid-table, there is nothing to gain from kicking another ball this season. On Tuesday the vote will be to void and settle for four more games and the play-off final.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Let's just hope common sense rules.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:47 am
The Snooze would have you believe that the EFL might publicly be saying they want the season concluded on the pitch, but the reality is they don't.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

So if, as seems likely, the season is curtailed the EFL are proposing a points per game calculation where the top 2 get promoted and 3-6 take part in play-offs but different clubs are proposing amendments.

Barnsley are proposing an amendment that they should not be relegated.

Tranmere are proposing an amendment so that a margin of error be introduced so that they get a few extra points to make sure they are not relegated.

Lincoln are proposing an amendment whereby they have no deductions in points yet everyone else just gets a points per game total. Tat'd promote Lincoln as champions.

Ipswich are proposing to invite pretty much anyone down to them into the playoffs.

Peterborough and Sunderland are proposing to sue the EFL if they are not promoted or at least invited into the playoffs.

Think the unadulterated EFL proposal is best. Fingers crossed.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

End of the day all the clubs want what's best for their own interests. Can't fault them for that. Be interesting to see what happens when this is all said and done.

Is there any scope for nothing to be decided by tomorrow or will it definitely be decided even if it means some clubs are pissed off?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:42 pm Peterborough and Sunderland are proposing to sue the EFL if they are not promoted or at least invited into the playoffs.
This has been said many times, not least by me, but I am not sure it is allowed. I thought that FIFA/UEFA rules prevented members taking action against each other (including internally within an FA) in the national civil courts. Individuals and teams have to go through their local procedures and then ultimately to CAS.

There have been exceptions, but these have been like Marc Bosman going to the ECHR where a wider legal principle must be decided.

There must be people on here who know better then me; clarification appreciated.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:52 pm End of the day all the clubs want what's best for their own interests. Can't fault them for that. Be interesting to see what happens when this is all said and done.

Is there any scope for nothing to be decided by tomorrow or will it definitely be decided even if it means some clubs are pissed off?
Depends on the vote I suppose. Ending the season now seems to be universally accepted, its just the fine print. Those with nothing to play for will want to look to the new season and prepare for that as soon as possible.

The EFL have copped a bit of flak for not making a decision, but they've allowed as much time as possible to try and actually complete the season by playing football. I guess its now down to whose voice carries the most influence. Thankfully, Mark Catlin's seems to carry a bit of respect - and with it a few votes. Fingers crossed.

As I said in the other thread, the fact both Oxford and ourselves have been tested seems to be a positive sign. I can't see why they would have gone through the procedure before the vote otherwise.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."