So, we are in the playoffs.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: So, we are in the playoffs.

Post by New Forester »

During the recent labour leadership election there was an opportunity for a serious win by betting on both Starmer and Long Bailey, one of which was certain to win. I’ll have a look at the play off odds.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

The weighted PPG proposal would have meant Pompey would have missed out on the playoffs.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/how-englands-to ... -and-away/

Glad that was not adopted. PUP
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:44 pm I'm going disguised as a sex doll
We could go and stand outside with black lives matter signs
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

As someone who thought the season would be voided & that would be an end to it I'm hopeful this opportunity we've been given will be grasped with both hands. Play offs is a lottery, this year more than most. If Kenny is brave & goes for it I really fancy our chances. On t he box as well.
Regards the idea of Dinksy going as a sex doll...dont scare the ballboys. :thumb :D
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

We have been granted a golden opportunity to get to the Championship, and this will surely be the ultimate test of Jackett. If we don't come up to the plate as we have done in previous playoffs there will surely be no excuses left - no injuries, no suspensions, no tiredness etc. Is this Jackett's ultimate test?

IF we do go up the only downside is that we will have very little time for the strengthening of the squad which will be necessary for us to compete in the championship. The present squad is not strong enough clearly to compete at that level. Its irritating that the futures of loan players like Seddon and McCrorie are still to be settled. I don't know why they couldn't have been sorted out before now.
pompeyfan200
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pompeyfan200 »

New Forester wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 pm During the recent labour leadership election there was an opportunity for a serious win by betting on both Starmer and Long Bailey, one of which was certain to win. I’ll have a look at the play off odds.
For the record the team finishing in third place in the play offs hasn't won them in the last thirteen years so I'll be laying
Pompey I'm afraid.
Class always wins in the end.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:07 pm We have been granted a golden opportunity to get to the Championship, and this will surely be the ultimate test of Jackett. If we don't come up to the plate as we have done in previous playoffs there will surely be no excuses left - no injuries, no suspensions, no tiredness etc. Is this Jackett's ultimate test?

IF we do go up the only downside is that we will have very little time for the strengthening of the squad which will be necessary for us to compete in the championship. The present squad is not strong enough clearly to compete at that level. Its irritating that the futures of loan players like Seddon and McCrorie are still to be settled. I don't know why they couldn't have been sorted out before now.
It's a difficult one because I don't feel like you can base the future of a manager on one or two high profile games no matter the circumstances. More so in strange times like these.

Two points off automatic promotion with a load of games to go I'd have liked to have seen where we ended up had the season played out to it's natural conclusion as that would have been a fairer test.

How about if we do get promoted though? Is Jackett the man to lead us in the Championship or is L1 and L2 his "level"? He seemed to have had a good run with Milwall and Wolves in the Championship and kept them both up once they were promoted.

Agree on the loan situation although how much of that is down to us and how much down to the other teams? Maybe they want to see if we get promoted so they can charge us more? I've not really been in the loop with the loanees so others might have better ideas.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Serious suggestion.

Turn the tannoy speakers around, point them at the pitch, and play recordings of the Pompey Chimes for the whole 90 minutes.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

pompeygunner wrote:As someone who thought the season would be voided & that would be an end to it I'm hopeful this opportunity we've been given will be grasped with both hands. Play offs is a lottery, this year more than most. If Kenny is brave & goes for it I really fancy our chances. On t he box as well.
Regards the idea of Dinksy going as a sex doll...dont scare the ballboys. :thumb :D
Maybe a cheerleader then. :dance:
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:34 pm Serious suggestion.

Turn the tannoy speakers around, point them at the pitch, and play recordings of the Pompey Chimes for the whole 90 minutes.
I'd be happy with that. Great idea.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

pompeyfan200 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:18 pm For the record the team finishing in third place in the play offs hasn't won them in the last thirteen years so I'll be laying
Pompey I'm afraid.
Also for the record, Pompey have made the play offs 3 times and have not made the final. In fact, in the 3 play off ties we have had, we have not won a single match, home or away.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Yes, it would be nice to finish on a winning game whatever the final outcome.
TBH, I hardly care anymore.
Promotion without the fans will be a hollow experience and we are miles behind the quality needed to compete in the Championship.
Unless there is a treasure of funds Tornante hasn't told us about, it would be prudent to spend another year building so that when we get there, we will stay there.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 pm Yes, it would be nice to finish on a winning game whatever the final outcome.
TBH, I hardly care anymore.
Promotion without the fans will be a hollow experience and we are miles behind the quality needed to compete in the Championship.
Unless there is a treasure of funds Tornante hasn't told us about, it would be prudent to spend another year building so that when we get there, we will stay there.
Totally disagree; What about all the other clubs who are thinking the same. i.e. make a push for it next season. We would be up against Sunderland, Peterborough, Ipswich, Plymouth, and the 3 money bags teams coming down from the championship.

I absolutely care and I don't think we'll get another chance like this one.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Absolutely right. A golden opportunity. But none of us will be too distraught if we don’t make it. Let’s relax and enjoy.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

New Forester wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:39 pm Let’s relax and enjoy.
I love your sentiment @New Forester but I have a feeling I will find it difficult to follow. I'll be tense and hating it probably.