Behind closed doors.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Behind closed doors.

Post by New Forester »

Really sad about this. I don’t like the crowd noise. It’s like watching the old sit coms with canned laughter. And simply hearing players and the few watchers shouting at each other isn’t much fun either. So I’ll watch Pompey matches but not bother with the rest. Perhaps it’s my age. But I really hope others are happy.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Behind closed doors.

Post by itsaintfunny »

I started watching with the crowd noise then watched tv pictures with Solent commentary, other problem with the crowd noise is its not always reflecting what you can see.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

New Forester wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:57 pm Really sad about this. I don’t like the crowd noise. It’s like watching the old sit coms with canned laughter. And simply hearing players and the few watchers shouting at each other isn’t much fun either. So I’ll watch Pompey matches but not bother with the rest. Perhaps it’s my age. But I really hope others are happy.
I agree . Shouldn't have matches without fans IMO .
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:50 pm I agree . Shouldn't have matches without fans IMO .
it is an unfortunate necessity. If games can be played out, that has to be better than not completing the season, but there is no way we are yet in a position to start allowing tens of thousands of people to pack in to stadiums.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

We don't really have an alternative though, do we? For me, it is better than nothing. My lads and I have agreed to watching Sky with the crowd noise, definitely an improvement on silence. The sooner we can get back to being there the better.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Agreed SB.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

For me, the absence of the fans has focused more of my attention on the football itself - and what a poor product it is!
Of the three I have attempted to see:
Villa v Sheffield Utd. - it took the artifical intervention (of lack of it) of VAR to spark any drama at all.
B'th v Palace - two early goals then 65 minutes of the Cherries feeble attempts to break down Palace's massed defensive wall.
Everton v Liverpool - absolutely dire from the supposed best side in Britain.
Yes, it's the first week after lockdown but they've been preparing for weeks and most desperately need the points. Where's the passion in these players?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Seems like typical early season stuff to me. I did quite enjoy the Brighton Arsenal game though.

Personally I prefer it with no crowd noise - it is good to have a choice.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Dinksy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:38 am For me, the absence of the fans has focused more of my attention on the football itself - and what a poor product it is!
Of the three I have attempted to see:
Villa v Sheffield Utd. - it took the artifical intervention (of lack of it) of VAR to spark any drama at all.
B'th v Palace - two early goals then 65 minutes of the Cherries feeble attempts to break down Palace's massed defensive wall.
Everton v Liverpool - absolutely dire from the supposed best side in Britain.
Yes, it's the first week after lockdown but they've been preparing for weeks and most desperately need the points. Where's the passion in these players?
I've watched the return of football in Germany and Spain and their's were no different to ours. It will take a couple of games to get back in to the swing. Man City, on the other hand, we bubbling straight from the whistle.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:20 amIt will take a couple of games to get back in to the swing.
Unfortunately, we are not going to get a couple of games to settle down. These play-offs are going to hinge on which teams can hit the ground running; are we Man. City or Liverpool? Have the players kept themselves fit? Are they mentally right for games? Will managers make tough selection choices? Just extra factors to add into the play-off lottery.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

I feel a lot is down to the manager motivating the players as it’s been such a long break.

Unfortunately for us motivational skills is not one of Jacketts qualities for me, the playoffs last year where we seemed to just settle for a 0-0 at home says it all.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:22 pm These play-offs are going to hinge on which teams can hit the ground running; are we Man. City or Liverpool?
Based on their first two games, let's hope we start like Man City!
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:29 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:22 pm These play-offs are going to hinge on which teams can hit the ground running; are we Man. City or Liverpool?
Based on their first two games, let's hope we start like Man City!
... or even Man City's bench.