Down the pub?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Down the pub?

Post by Dinksy »

Although I appreciate that all posters on here are strict teetotalling, God-fearing, righteous dudes, I just wondered how folk feel about returning to the pub in July. After the initial 'good news' it's apparent that such will be demand, there's going to be long queues to the bar followed by a lot of rowdiness caused by those kicking the ar*e out of it.

But most of all I'm not sure I want to give my name and contact details out just for drink out. Where does this information go? Who stores it? Do they delete it after a while? Can we be sure? Any thoughts to smooth my furrowed brow?
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Down the pub?

Post by Mr Dee »

I will be going and supporting my local independents .

As for giving my details, it's not going to happen unless I'm booking a table for somewhere in which case I'll leave a contact number as I usually do. I won't be giving my address out and I won't be giving any details if I'm just going for a drink .

I like going to the pub but I've learnt that I can survive without it so if there's too many hoops to jump through just to get served I just won't bother.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

What’s all this about contact details? I missed that yesterday.

I’ll keep away for the first few weeks as really can’t be doing with the mad rush I’m assuming most people will be doing in the 4th.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I can't wait to have a pint at the pub with my mates but, whilst the buffoon jovially announced the reopening of pubs his scientific and medical advisers were shaking their heads. Even his direct advisers say it is a huge risk. So what has happened to the 5 stage approach? Did we suddenly hit level 1 skipping 3 and 2? What does 1 metre plus mean? Ideally 2 metres but 1 metre is okay if you want to?

Too early for me. Beers at home in the garden and watching football on TV in my front room. #BewareTheSecondWave
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:01 am I can't wait to have a pint at the pub with my mates but, whilst the buffoon jovially announced the reopening of pubs his scientific and medical advisers were shaking their heads. Even his direct advisers say it is a huge risk. So what has happened to the 5 stage approach? Did we suddenly hit level 1 skipping 3 and 2? What does 1 metre plus mean? Ideally 2 metres but 1 metre is okay if you want to?

Too early for me. Beers at home in the garden and watching football on TV in my front room. #BewareTheSecondWave
Yep, the announcements of a 20% hit to the economy and the reopening of businesses are just a little too close together for my liking. But I accept life (including a commercial one) needs to continue on some level. The NHS are better positioned to cope now, with better experience and resources. March's shock and awe in the medical community has subsided enough to take some steps forward again.

As long as the most vulnerable are still protected, then I don't disagree with easing restrictions. I won't be rushing to the pub or cinema the microsecond they open, and I'll be content to lock down again if needed. As for contact details, I don't mind. They've already got my driving licence details, passport, bank details and ISP history. If they want to reach me, they're not going to have to look too far.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Weybridge wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:29 am They've already got my driving licence details, passport, bank details and ISP history.
...but do they yet have your IPA or HSB history? :beer
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

My gut feeling is to stay away from pubs for at least another month. To be honest, I haven't missed them as much as I thought. As for some anonymous person/department knowing about my social movements, that's a step too far for me.

Opening up has risks but the alternative is sending our economy into a decade-long recession. The consequences of that may outweigh these risks. Meanwhile I see scientists/ 'experts' and politicians are all carefully covering their backs in case it all goes pear-shaped.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Asking people to register to go into a pub is ludicrous. Every pub is going to be filled with people called Phil McGlass , Terry Bilthirst , Duncan Disorderly etc . As well as the usual collection of Micky Mouses . Donald Ducks and so on. It's a system just asking to be abused.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

rumourmonger wrote:Asking people to register to go into a pub is ludicrous. Every pub is going to be filled with people called Phil McGlass , Terry Bilthirst , Duncan Disorderly etc . As well as the usual collection of Micky Mouses . Donald Ducks and so on. It's a system just asking to be abused.
No doubt it will be via a new smart phone app.

BTW, I like Phil McGlass. Got any more like that anyone? Al, last name Coholic.
Bart used a lot to wind up Moe in The Simpsons.
BART: I'm calling for Mike, last name Crotch.
MOE: Okay everyone put your glasses down, I'm looking for Mike Crotch. Has anyone seen Mike Crotch?
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I’m more interested in the opening of coffee shops. Not sure how that will work but will be at our Caffè Nero on 4 July to find out.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

New Forester wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:47 pm I’m more interested in the opening of coffee shops. Not sure how that will work but will be at our Caffè Nero on 4 July to find out.
I like a coffee too. So hopefully it's not to much of an anti social atmosphere .

I have had a quick scan through the government guidelines for reopening one thing I found interesting was the following :

" It is important to know that the evidence of the benefit of using a
face covering to protect others is weak and the effect is likely to
be small, therefore face coverings are not a replacement for the
other ways of managing risk".

In that case why are masks mandatory on public transport? and I keep seeing the government advising to wear them in shops .
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:08 pm
I have had a quick scan through the government guidelines for reopening one thing I found interesting was the following :

" It is important to know that the evidence of the benefit of using a
face covering to protect others is weak and the effect is likely to
be small, therefore face coverings are not a replacement for the
other ways of managing risk".

In that case why are masks mandatory on public transport? and I keep seeing the government advising to wear them in shops .
Every little helps I guess.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:08 pm In that case why are masks mandatory on public transport? and I keep seeing the government advising to wear them in shops .
Have you not seen the number of bus drivers that have died of this virus?
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:08 pm In that case why are masks mandatory on public transport? and I keep seeing the government advising to wear them in shops .
Have you not read the first part of of my post ?
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:30 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm
Have you not read the first part of of my post ?
Yes I tead your post. Even if the face covering only has a small effect, that has surely got to be better than nothing? If I were a bus driver I would appteciate every single effort passengers made to protect me.

Masks on public transport is absolutely correct whilst there is even a glimmer of a chance of infecting a driver.