Play Off versus Oxford.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Play Off versus Oxford.

Post by GreenBlue »

We are notoriously dreadful in the play offs so to stand a chance of making the play off final what realistically would we need from the first (home) leg against Oxford. I wouldn't go into the second leg feeling overly confident even with a 2 goal lead so I think we need a 3 goal margin.

My prediction is 1:1. That wouldn't be a disaster but I would love a 3 goal margin.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Play Off versus Oxford.

Post by Selsey Bill »

My prediction is 0-0.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

All three previous play offs for us have been a draw at Fratton Park and a defeat away. It surely has to end somewhere and I have a feeling that this could be the year that sequence gets broken. I'm going for a 2-0 at home and perhaps a draw or one goal defeat away. Wembley here we come !!!
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

I admire your optimism, but Oxford are without doubt one of our bogey teams. Have you seen the stats for the last 12 games against them? Won 1, Drawn 1 and Lost 10! ๐Ÿ˜ง ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Claygate wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:28 pm I admire your optimism, but Oxford are without doubt one of our bogey teams. Have you seen the stats for the last 12 games against them? Won 1, Drawn 1 and Lost 10! ๐Ÿ˜ง ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
... agree, and they have a far better manager than us. However....
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Claygate wrote:I admire your optimism, but Oxford are without doubt one of our bogey teams. Have you seen the stats for the last 12 games against them? Won 1, Drawn 1 and Lost 10! ๐Ÿ˜ง ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
Oh my word, is it really that bad?!
Any chance of someone donning an unseasonal santa outfit and pulling Alan Biley out of retirement?
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Claygate wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:28 pm I admire your optimism, but Oxford are without doubt one of our bogey teams. Have you seen the stats for the last 12 games against them? Won 1, Drawn 1 and Lost 10! ๐Ÿ˜ง ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

What does the law of probability predict based on these stats?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 โ€“ 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Claygate wrote:I admire your optimism, but Oxford are without doubt one of our bogey teams. Have you seen the stats for the last 12 games against them? Won 1, Drawn 1 and Lost 10! ๐Ÿ˜ง ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
Not true anyway. Just had time to check out those stats and it turns out we've both won three out of the last ten games. Hardly a 'bogey' team!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

On the plus side Northampton are promoted to League 1 after smashing Exeter 4-0. So if we don't win the play-offs I can take solace in getting to a Pompey game about 5 minutes from my house. :thumb
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Sam_Brown wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm On the plus side Northampton are promoted to League 1 after smashing Exeter 4-0. So if we don't win the play-offs I can take solace in getting to a Pompey game about 5 minutes from my house. :thumb
On the down side, it's another physical hoofball team in L1. I would rather have seen Exeter who play some good football.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Sam_Brown wrote:On the plus side Northampton are promoted to League 1 after smashing Exeter 4-0. So if we don't win the play-offs I can take solace in getting to a Pompey game about 5 minutes from my house. :thumb
Yay
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Sam_Brown wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm On the plus side Northampton are promoted to League 1 after smashing Exeter 4-0. So if we don't win the play-offs I can take solace in getting to a Pompey game about 5 minutes from my house. :thumb
Northampton is about 5 miles further from where I live than Pompey so like a home game for us, and their ground is much nicer than Exeter's which is a dump, particularly for away fans.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think form is out the window for these. The key is going to be who adapts to the empty stadium first, and who kept themselves fittest over lock down.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

It will also partly be down to luck, mistakes and which team is most match fit. Does anyone know how many friendlies Oxford have had compared to us?
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pompski! »

We're gonna cane them 4-0. :thumb

(then lose 3-0 in the second leg :wink: )
I am me, the universe and you.