1-1 Draw may not be enough

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

1-1 Draw may not be enough

Post by uspompeyfan »

I feel that KJ didn't do enough to try and win a very even game in the end. Yes, the teams haven't played for 115 days but it still had the hallmark of a pre-season friendly more than a play-off game.

Pompey had the better of the first half hour and were good for their one goal lead, but a defensive error upfield led to an equalizer that TBH was beginning to look like it was coming as Oxford were getting more control in midfield.

The first 30 minutes of the second half saw Oxford as the better team without threatening and Curtiss seemed the only player willing to go for a win in the last 10 minutes or so.

Solid play by Burgess in my opinion with Curtiss my MOM... I could argue that Bass didn't cover his near post for the goal, but it was well taken.

I will say that I felt KJ was too cagey, leaving a negative feel and we will probably repeat our previous play-offs with an away loss.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: 1-1 Draw may not be enough

Post by uspompeyfan »

I would add that the ref gave away too many niggly free kicks that weren't necessary and in fairness, was right not to give the two penalty shouts.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Crossing was woeful. Is Seddon not fit or something ?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Will we ever make a change that isn't like for like again?

Nobody was bad, but nobody really was good. Just this season playbook really.

We started well, without really doing much. Once we scored we went to sleep for the rest of the half. Second half just sort of went by
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:01 pm Will we ever make a change that isn't like for like again?

Nobody was bad, but nobody really was good. Just this season playbook really.

We started well, without really doing much. Once we scored we went to sleep for the rest of the half. Second half just sort of went by
Hard to disagree with anything you say 1984+1.

It must be very strange trying to get into a game that feels more like a training game or pre-season but it was fairly uninspiring. The long-ball hoof to CF only works if the hoof is accurate, which most of the time it isn't. Bolton and Naylor need to come in for Monday I think - it'll probably go to penalities.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I quite like McGeehan, and nothing against Morris but McGeehan was playing like a quarter back or something.

I'd have been tempted to throw Hawkins on give them something different to think about. If must be really frustrating to be a Pompey forward
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Positives...

We didn't lose.
There is no away goal rule, so it is a one-off game.
Since resumption, home advantage doesn't seem to be what it was with crowds; there have been some odd results.
Our luck has to change at some point in play-offs.

Otherwise, and just spitballing, I wonder if Jackett has realised that two games in four days was going to be too much for some players after the long break, and set up the team accordingly with a "home" line-up today and we will see a number of changes on Monday with an "away" line-up so we start as fresh as possible. Naylor, Bolton, Marquis, Williams and Seddon could all start.

BTW. Where was Ben Close?
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Fascinating FACT #372

In the Bundesliga prior to pandemic, home teams won 46% of the time. Since the restart, its 19%
Div III. Call it what it is.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

MONDAY:
Naylor for McGeehan who was awful
Bolton for McCrorie
If Oxford go ahead, I don't think we have enough guile to break them down.
If we go ahead, I don't think we have the resilience to retain the lead.
So....1-0 Oxford if they score first, otherwise penalties.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

We have test Eastwood more. We know from our own experience that he's not the greatest of keepers but we just didn't put him under enough pressure. Admittedly he's got a useful defence in front of him but this is where we need the likes of Seddon and Williams on pitch to put some more teasing deliveries into the area . We cannot go out and play cagey hoping for a penalty shoot out. We have to go for it. Although there's a small Kenny voice in my head and I can hear him saying "Ah but going gung ho is just what they'll expect us to do , so we'll do the exact opposite"
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

rumourmonger wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:58 am We have test Eastwood more. We know from our own experience that he's not the greatest of keepers but we just didn't put him under enough pressure. Admittedly he's got a useful defence in front of him but this is where we need the likes of Seddon and Williams on pitch to put some more teasing deliveries into the area . We cannot go out and play cagey hoping for a penalty shoot out. We have to go for it. Although there's a small Kenny voice in my head and I can hear him saying "Ah but going gung ho is just what they'll expect us to do , so we'll do the exact opposite"
I thought Williams made a positive difference when he came on, running at the full back and putting in some crosses - we just didn't have enough players in the box to test out the keeper. I have to keep reminding myself that they are League One players for a reason - that isn't to be harsh on them but it is realistic.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

We haven't had enough players in the box for two years or so.

I keep seeing McGeehan and Morris getting some flack, they both seemed to do far more than Andy Cannon, I like him, but for vast parts of the game I forgot he was playing, surely in the role he is playing he should be closer to Harrison and in and around the box.

As I said, I don't think anyone had a mare as such, just nobody really bossed it. Curtis did for a while, but seemed to fade then come back into it. McCrorie out a couple of nice balls in but like said, nobody there and I felt he gave it away a few times.

We didn't see brown getting past Curtis as much as be did last season.

Still a long way to go, it's not over yet but they didn't really show enough for me yet - plus we always play badly against Wycombe.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: 1-1 Draw may not be enoug

Post by Weybridge »

I thought Morris did alright. Solid if unspectacular. Better when the ball was on the deck.

Cannon wasn’t the same after that knock. I’d argue it was that which brought about their goal. He was limping around behind play, and not in position to receive the pass when we lost the ball.

I don’t think Oxford posed much of a threat, but their back line was excellent. They threw bodies in front of the ball any time we had half a shooting chance. Harrison never quite got into the game, muscled or crowded out too often. Marquis does seem to find the ball better. He’s much like Mick Quinn, always looking for the ball and able to draw defenders out of position. Harrison has a lot in his locker but I don’t think mobility is his biggest strength.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Bolton over McCrorie has to be one change. The much talked about Morris in Naylor out thing-thought Bryn did ok, his passing is better than Naylor. But he lacks the physical edge that Naylor has. Tough call but maybe for the 2nd leg Naylor comes in. Marquis for Harrison a possibility, Ellis didn't look very sharp to me. I would have Ben Close in over McGeehan (sp). Ben is a better passer & scores a few. Difficult decisions for Kenny to deal with, Oh & I'd have Williams back in as well over Harness. Harness was terrific for 30mins bur faded very badly after that. Williams is more dependable. Just a few changes then. :rofl :thumb
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

uspompeyfan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:39 pm I would add that the ref gave away too many niggly free kicks that weren't necessary and in fairness, was right not to give the two penalty shouts.
Apparently, there were 5 penalty shouts.

First, the handball, we'd be lucky to get that.

Second, Dickie hauled Burgess down. For me, that's a penalty - how many times did we see VAR giving those at the last World Cup? Very disappointed not to get that one. Dickie had his back to the ball, was just trying to stop Burgess, which he did using rugby tactics.

Third, Ellis Harrison, no, I think he ran into his player, cos he wasn't looking where he was going.....

Fourth, Ronan Curtis, again no, not a penalty for me.

I don't even know what the 5th was, but saw a Tweet from Selsey Bill who reckons all 5 were stonewall.

I agree about the niggly free kicks though, ref seemed very whistle-happy.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour