"That" Burnley Banner

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: "That" Burnley Banner

Post by Sam_Brown »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:30 am This kind of sums up what I was trying to say above.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53293542

Just label them all as anarchists, looters, radical left..... A few? yes for sure. All? No.

Dangerous words Mr Trump.
One of my most beloved writers is Soren Kierkegaard, widely regarded as being the first existentialist philosophiser. The man is very quotable and one of the reasons my usually puerile mind got any sort of traction with him at all. I also find him very relatable (his views on Christianity particularly) in this modern age as when he was round because some things in society never change.

“If you name me, you negate me. By giving me a name, a label, you negate all the other things I could possibly be.”

His view was that by labelling things (such as "the left" or "the right") your goal is (whether intentional or not) to try and dismiss the person or arguments as a whole and negate the need to nuanced discussion.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Your Mr Kierkegaard sounds like an interesting man Sam , I hope so anyway as I was intrigued enough to order a couple of books just now. :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

itsaintfunny wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:41 pm Your Mr Kierkegaard sounds like an interesting man Sam , I hope so anyway as I was intrigued enough to order a couple of books just now. :thumb
Ah nice. I hope you enjoy.

Either \ Or is probably my favourite of his works.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24970.Either_Or

There is a good overview on him here:

Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

What would he say about bringing Naylor back, putting Harness and Hawkins up front and going 442 for the second leg?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:46 pm What would he say about bringing Naylor back, putting Harness and Hawkins up front and going 442 for the second leg?
“Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. Laugh at the world’s foolishness, you will regret it; weep over it, you will regret that too; laugh at the world’s foolishness or weep over it, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it; believe her not, you will also regret it… Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will regret that too; hang yourself or don’t hang yourself, you’ll regret it either way; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the essence of all philosophy.”

So basically whatever he does people will probably bitch either way lol.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Watch Pompey, regret it.
Don't watch Pompey, regret it.
I get it.

This guy was obviously a football fan.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Mainly due to the Left trying to change history.
Referring to things in absolute terms like “the left” or “the right” does you a disservice I feel as those terms can mean different things to different people. What do you mean by “the left” exactly?
[/quote]

Sam, you are quite right, I probably have over-used the Left terminology on that comment - and thank you Green Blue for your positive comments on the following message on the thread.

How I define 'Left' points more to the radical side of the Democrat party such as AOC, Oman and, well, lets be fair, the language of Pelossi and Schumer recently as well as Biden. The idea that Government should be the all consuming power of the land is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Declaration of Independance.

There are plenty of middle ground Dems that are forced to side with the mainstream Dems or face the wrath of 'lack of funding for elections' and been ostracized, facing Primaries in the next elections, if they don't comply. To be fair, the Republicans went through this after the 2008 and 2012 election cycles.

The Tea Party movement was universally rebuked by the media for being unruly, however, with a fair media, the world would have seen a group of Conservative Republicans that chose to return to Constitutional values...consequently, the win for Trump in 2016 was on their backs, along with the multitude of Independent voters, which the Dems openly didn't expect or accept.

In the US, the Left is more commonly used to note Liberal views - and views that choose to not cross the center aisle of politics. A clear view of this is the Supreme Court - the Liberal (or Left) Justices almost never change from their central value of sticking with the liberal agenda. The Republican slanted ( expected Right voters), will often see one jump the fence simply to avoid being seen as totally biased (the recent concerns of Roberts flip-flopping on an abortion vote point to that). The Justices are not meant to be political, but are nowadays seen in that way.

In 2010 I was on the Sean Hannity when he cited GB's NHS as a reason not to accept Obamacare - I went against him as he gave a poor insight to Americans of what we know of the NHS. I believe that States have that responsibility and not the Federal Government fo the record, and I backed a Democrat version that worked in WA State but was subsequently not brought up in the Senate.

I believe there is scope to work in the grey area of the middle ground of politics which is where common sense seems to lay. However, I will side with the Constitution and the Bill of Rights every time.

Systemic Racism is not a major issue in the USA today. Many of the big cities are led by mayors of color. There are large numbers of ethic Congressmen and the US saw a Black President, which many would have deemed impossible 50 years ago. The Civil Rights movement of the 50s and 60s were a good thing but BLM today does not reflect the message of Martin Luther King.

I allowed, and encouraged, my daughter, Dasha, to join a Union when she started at Safeway last year. She and my wife expressed major surprise, but I noted that the motives of the Union had to be serving the membership and not political - so I am not averse to getting into the grey.

Hope this defines my view of the Left,
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:25 pm Watch Pompey, regret it.
Don't watch Pompey, regret it.
I get it.

This guy was obviously a football fan.
that's pretty much it. :thumb
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Now Albert Camus is the real philosophical godfather of football.
The French Nobel-prize winner said that watching and playing football was one of his two 'real universities' (the other being theatre).
Football formed his views on the absurdity of life.
This from an article about him:
"What could be more absurd than 22 people chasing a sphere of inflated leather around a rectangle of grass for 90 minutes, and believing that the amount of times said sphere crosses a couple of painted lines is a matter of the most profound importance? In any sort of rational analysis, football is fundamentally ridiculous."
It captured mankind's ultimate dilemma.
And the solution?
"Camus sensed that what gave life meaning were those things you love “not with your mind, not with logic, but with your insides, your guts.”
I think we can all relate to that.

The rest of the article is here:

https://www.mmowen.me/camus-absurd-love-of-football