Wage Cap Proposals

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Wage Cap Proposals

Post by Dinksy »

blue architect wrote:Prince Boetang
Kevin was only with us one season!
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

So from what I'm reading is it fair to say that along with the rest of the world football is F'd ?
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:41 am
Weybridge wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:00 am All I can think of is the long contract, and potentially some dead wood on your books.
Who was the player that we'd signed to a contract that would automatically be extended every season we struggled to get rid of. I seem to want to save Ivica Mornar but looking at the season that may have been too early as I thought it was around the time we went into admin.
Wasn't that Tal Ben Haim?
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman

Post by This Time Next Year »

RubiconCSL wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:43 amHow about nationalising all football clubs. The government then controls all of them and distributes the cash (and even the players) as it feels fit. Worked well with the railways :)
Replace 'government' with 'league' and you've more or less got yourself the basis of how the NFL is run.

Level playing fields like that, and 'parity' that they strive for with wage caps and draft order work a lot better in a league without any relegation though...
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Weybridge wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:00 am How does a 'rich' club lure the best players with a wage cap? Five year contracts as the norm? Hugely inflated signing-on fees? Massive promotion bonuses? The last two will be monitored by HMRC, so you'd risk retro-active fines and points deductions.

All I can think of is the long contract, and potentially some dead wood on your books.
I am astonished that a consortium of the leading clubs - Portsmouth, Sunderland, etc - has not (yet at least) requested the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) to investigate this anti-competitive proposal by the EFL.

Although clubs compete through playing the game, they also compete as businesses. This proposal would effectively restrict business competition in the English Football League: it is potentially therefore against English law.

The CMA has full authority to 'strengthen business competition and prevent and reduce anti-competitive activities.' It's time for some of the leading EFL football clubs to take their strong business case to the authority.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

The money in top league football has unquestionably become obscene. I have my own strong view on how this started to spiral but that is for another post. Most footballers are mercenaries. We see them as one of us when they pull on the shirts of our team but the majority of them, at the drop of a hat, would go where the money was bigger.

This has helped the Premier League become the best league in the world and I have marvelled at some of the scintillating displays, the incredible stadiums and the wonderful TV coverage but... I still believe that football, as a package, was more exciting for most teams before the big money. Remember little teams like Ipswich in the late 70s, WBA, them lot down the road, and other 'non-giants' all with a belief and a genuine chance to become English champions. The playing field then was so much more even.

I would personally love to see the levelling of the field again as I believe that some teams, like some corporations, have become too big and powerful. I don't know whether a wage cap is possible or whether it would make the the overall football package better but it would surely be better than having situations where players salaries and agent fees could potentially lead to a club folding. Maybe just rose-tinted glasses.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Rotherham, Coventry and Wycombe will get to vote on weather this rule gets brought in or not. Yet the three clubs who come down won't be getting a vote on how the league they will operate in works.

Homeless Coventry have already signed about 6 players and paid fees this summer following their promotion, surely they will vote in favour of the wage cap because they can strengthen this year and effectively have a free hit should they get relegated making them more likely to yo yo?

Not getting promoted could set us back decades - to the point it's almost consigned us to this level forever. What's the point of sport if you can't compete if you get promoted?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The more I read of these proposals, the less I like them.

Clubs relegated from the Championship will not immediately be subject to the wage cap, meaning that they can keep their better quality, better paid players, thus giving them an advantage in L1.

Furthermore, if a club does not currently have a playing budget of £2½M, an owner can top up from their own funds - loading the club with debt, which is, supposedly, what these proposals are trying to avoid.

What is wrong with the EFL?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:30 pm The more I read of these proposals, the less I like them.

Clubs relegated from the Championship will not immediately be subject to the wage cap, meaning that they can keep their better quality, better paid players, thus giving them an advantage in L1.

Furthermore, if a club does not currently have a playing budget of £2½M, an owner can top up from their own funds - loading the club with debt, which is, supposedly, what these proposals are trying to avoid.

What is wrong with the EFL?
They're ridiculous proposals aren't they. I can't see them standing up to legal challenge plus today I read somewhere that they are already talking of postponing it by a year.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

The News reporting that, if the cap is approved, Pompey will be restricted to five signings (over-21) at about average L1 salaries to stay under the £2.5M cap limit with a maximum squad size of 22 over-21s.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... ut-2915534

On something I am not clear about, the article suggests that the cap is FOR next season, not FROM next season, so just for one year. I would like to see official confirmation of this. Even so, is it just a foot-in-the-door that will never be overturned as the small clubs will be able to vote against the bigger clubs and keep the cap evermore?

The question would be how to approach the cap from Pompey's POV if it goes ahead. Here's my approach.

1. Don't sign 5 more players. We NEED a LB and a CB. We would LIKE a No.10. Anything else is a relative luxury and the lack could be worked around. Keeping the number of signings down would enable us to offer higher salaries to those players we really want. Of course, if anyone else leaves they can be replaced like-for-like (or preferably cheaper-for-like!). It also leaves us some wiggle-room for later in the year if we need an additional signing or two.

2. Leverage our money that is not capped to maximum advantage. Target U-21 players, either as signings or loans. Preferably the former to build up a good young team or acquire players with re-sale value. On loans, we would be able to take on more of the loanee's salary, and hence give us more clubs looking to loan us players.

3. If we get a big fee for a player, such as Bass or Curtis, don't rush to spend it on a an equal replacement; we could never do that for the same wages unless we got really lucky. Save it for next year when (hopefully) this nonsense will be over.

4. Keep investing in training facilities, scouting, development and academy players. It was always going to be the future, but now moreso than ever, and we can spend what we like.

5. Offer as much as possible to players that doesn't fall inside the cap. Training facilities/extras, sponsored items, quality of travel & accommodation for away trips, whatever. Make life at Pompey better than at other clubs, even if the wages are the same.

Other ideas? Thoughts?
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

I have a horrible feeling it will come down to who can get the best loan players. That in turn will lead to favoured teams to loan to and then official feeder clubs, I hope I am wrong but with many clubs on the brink it may be their only chance.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Please forgive my ignorance, but when is all this going to be finalised? Until then we are going to be in limbo.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:17 am Please forgive my ignorance, but when is all this going to be finalised? Until then we are going to be in limbo.
Probably after the transfer window closes...
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I see today that Catlin is talking about the loan system being the best way to get round the salary cap proposals. I can foresee a situation where this accelerates the lower leagues just being feeder clubs for the Premier and Champ. For example, Chelsea make a deal with us that they loan is 6 of their U21's each season and we guarantee then first team football.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 am I see today that Catlin is talking about the loan system being the best way to get round the salary cap proposals. I can foresee a situation where this accelerates the lower leagues just being feeder clubs for the Premier and Champ. For example, Chelsea make a deal with us that they loan is 6 of their U21's each season and we guarantee then first team football.
I wouldn't have an issue with this if we were able to cancel the deal when we are re-established as a Championship club ourselves and we then get our own feeder club. (Southampton or Bournemouth? :wink: )