Wish/dream list

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Wish/dream list

Post by Dinksy »

BEN THOMPSON
Included in my list of players I'd like to see coming to Fratton this summer is Ben Thompson, hence the 'dream' bit. He loves Millwall, Millwall love him but he has played only a peripheral role this season from the substitute's bench so if there's even the slightest chance of prising him away, it's worth a shot.
LIAM WALSH
Second is Liam Walsh, who has had a fantastic season at Coventry on loan from Bristol City. He's no Ben Thompson but would be a very good alternative pulling strings in midfield.
JONNY SMITH
Also, we have missed a bit of flair on the right that Lowe gave use and Bristol City's Jonny Smith could be the answer. Named in League Two's team of the season, he has had a great year on loan at Oldham.
RAGLAN, DICKIE and McDERMOTT
Most urgently, we need defensive reinforcements and here I would go for Cheltenham Town's Charlie Raglan,
Oxford Utd's Robert Dickie who looked so solid against us and, as bit of a punt from the Irish league, Cliftonville's highly rated youngster, Conor McDermott.

I think these players will do enough to keep us in contention at the top.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Wish/dream list

Post by Selsey Bill »

Ben Thompson is a very good player. Better than anything else we have. Neil Harris went on record saying he was a future Millwall captain, but NH is no longer at the club and BT must want to play more regular football, surely?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Not a hope in hell you can get Ben Thompson in under the wage cap though - probably the case for pretty much anyone dropping down from the championship.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

BT is a bit long in the tooth now SB and I didnt think he was highly thought of at your end of the M27. :wink:
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:16 pm Not a hope in hell you can get Ben Thompson in under the wage cap though - probably the case for pretty much anyone dropping down from the championship.
There lies the issue. If the wage cap is happening, we are going to be very limited in who we can sign, both in terms of numbers and wages (I looked at this in the wage cap thread). However, if as is being reported, the wage cap might be postponed for a year, then we would be justified in really going for it in 2020-21.

L1 last year was dross, and although Sunderland and Ipswich are unlikely to be that poor again, many other teams will get worse as budgets tighten even without a cap. Down from the Championship will be Barnsley, Hull and probably one of Wigan, Luton or Charlton (although possibly Brimingham or Middlesbrough). As ever, I expect relegated teams to be competitive, but nothing there to be scared about. Coming up from L2 are Swindon, Crewe, Plymouth and Northampton. Promoted teams tend to be on a roll, but again they are beatable teams.

Three decent players (CB, No.10 and LB) signed plus a couple of young (U21) squad players and I would be confident of a strong promotion push (and I am never confident).
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:25 pm Three decent players (CB, No.10 and LB) signed plus a couple of young (U21) squad players and I would be confident of a strong promotion push (and I am never confident).
Yeah I'm fairly confident for next season. There are a few who are all doom and gloom since the play offs but what with everything going on I feel we should hopefully be able to weather the storm more than others. I don't think it will be pretty to watch and they'll be the usual complaints about Jackett's style which are all valid but a few players like you mentioned and we'll have a decent chance of going up.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

My wish/dream for next season is that we are not once again stuck with a stream of injury-prone loanees who are so talented that they are unable to get a place in a struggling championship/league one side, which was largely the case last season. Raggett being possibly the one exception to the norm last season.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 am My wish/dream for next season is that we are not once again stuck with a stream of injury-prone loanees who are so talented that they are unable to get a place in a struggling championship/league one side, which was largely the case last season. Raggett being possibly the one exception to the norm last season.
This is incredibly harsh. Before this season I would have agreed with you; our loan signings under Jackett have been very poor, for example in 2018-19 out of eight loanees only Ben Thompson made an impression, and I liked Andre Green, but you could keep the rest. However, in 2019-20, with only four loanees (in itself, a step in the right direction; quality before quantity)...

Sean Raggett started off looking dodgy, but grew into the team and ended up an important part of the defence. 36 appearances; 2 goals (full season loan).
Ross McCrorrie never really fitted into a role (RB or DMF?), but is a talented player who will probably have a good career. Possibly not the right time, but the sort of player you take if available due to the high upside. 22 appearances; 0 goals (full season loan).
Cameron McGeehan was possibly not an upgrade on a position where we had enough players, but he did OK and looked better as the season progressed. 15 appearances; 2 goals (half season loan).
Steve Seddonhad a high impact on his arrival, at a time we had no LBs available. Worked well with Curtis and had a very good deadball delivery. Our best LB since Enda Stevens. 17 appearances; 1 goal (half season loan).

There have been calls for at least three these players to be resigned. If you expect better than that from a loan group, then I am afraid that your expectations are over-high and you will never be satisfied.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 am My wish/dream for next season is that we are not once again stuck with a stream of injury-prone loanees who are so talented that they are unable to get a place in a struggling championship/league one side, which was largely the case last season. Raggett being possibly the one exception to the norm last season.
I'd have agreed with you on last season's showings, but this season, I too think you're being a bit harsh.

McRorie is the one I wouldn't have back. As The Penguin says, he never really felt settled in either role.

Seddon, I would have back like a shot, but the wise talk is that it just isn't happening.

McGeehan, I liked, I thought he brought an energy to the holding midfield that was lacking in the other players in that role. It appears that we have offered Barnsley £750K for him, the only thing there is that it looks like Barnsley are going to be relegated, so they may wish to keep him on.

Raggett is the most likely to happen. I cannot say for a fact that the club had offered him a contract for next season. prior to lockdown, but I do know that he was doing something that you would not do if you were not looking at a long-term stay in the area. I cannot elaborate further on that. He has reportedly told the Snooze that Norwich haven't taken up their option on him for next season, so as far as he's concerned, he's a free agent. The spanner in the works is the effect that Covid has had on the wage budget, and the potential wage cap for next season.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm
Raggett is the most likely to happen. I cannot say for a fact that the club had offered him a contract for next season. prior to lockdown, but I do know that he was doing something that you would not do if you were not looking at a long-term stay in the area. I cannot elaborate further on that.
I bet he's put his name down with the Council for an allotment hasn't he? Go on Locky, you can tell us :wink:
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:36 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:53 pm
Raggett is the most likely to happen. I cannot say for a fact that the club had offered him a contract for next season. prior to lockdown, but I do know that he was doing something that you would not do if you were not looking at a long-term stay in the area. I cannot elaborate further on that.
I bet he's put his name down with the Council for an allotment hasn't he? Go on Locky, you can tell us :wink:
Was it that obvious? D'oh.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

I would be absolutely delighted if we could sign Raggett, McCrorie, Seddon and McGeehan. All are good footballers and I just can't see us finding better elsewhere.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:47 pm I would be absolutely delighted if we could sign Raggett, McCrorie, Seddon and McGeehan. All are good footballers and I just can't see us finding better elsewhere.
I think you'll have to settle for 50% delighted, at best.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:08 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:47 pm I would be absolutely delighted if we could sign Raggett, McCrorie, Seddon and McGeehan. All are good footballers and I just can't see us finding better elsewhere.
I think you'll have to settle for 50% delighted, at best.
Yeah, Raggett and McGeehan
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'd be happy to keep Raggett I thought he was fine after a bumpy start, more than good enough for league one and part of what we missed the season before. I hope he stays, and doesn't go to Rotherham.

I hope we keep McGeehan too, I like the look of him better than what we have.

McCrorie didn't ever do enough for me, despite not really doing anything wrong either. Much like the whole team.

Seddon would like to keep him, longer this salary cap stuff rumbles on the worse off we are, preseason can only be a few weeks away.

There are plenty of component league one standard defenders about most of them being players we have never heard of, remeber when we signed Matt Clarke and Ipswich reserve...

Just hope this wage cap gets sorted soon so we can make a start and hopefully it's not cost us too many signings already.