Minimal fan return with face coverings.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Minimal fan return with face coverings.

Post by GreenBlue »

It will be interesting to see the findings from the PSG vs Saint-Etienne match last night played with crowd attendance. Hopefully they will be positive and this experiment will applied more widely and perhaps the numbers inside the grounds will gradually increase.

A few things to note:
  • Only 5,000 fans were allowed in to a stadium with a capacity of 80,000. Using that ratio, should it be applied to Fratton Park, we would allow 1,250 fans.
  • All fans were obliged to wear face coverings. There are many in our country who oppose face coverings and some have argued that they have little effect in preventing viral spread. Will they adopt this measure.
  • British grounds will not admit fans until at least October. Will the situation have changed by then?
I think the experiment last night is a positive step and one that will be watched carefully. It is clearly sensible to take a cautious approach rather than just suddenly allow full stadiums again. I would not feel comfortable sitting amongst 50,000+ fans at Wembley this autumn/winter should they decide to play the EFL Trophy without safety measures adopted to deal with this virus.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Minimal fan return with face coverings.

Post by New Forester »

While I was skeptical about football without fans I think I'm coming to terms with the new reality. Good luck to clubs who can devise an acceptable rationing system for the small crowds likely to be allowed. For starters all us old timers should stay at home while being able to watch a live feed at a reasonable price. Indeed, anyone with a health issue or over 70 should stay at home and watch on TV if they can. They would mostly want to do that anyway. Priority should be given to youngsters and fit young parents?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I think a few got upset previously when I suggested when football comes back it will be a phased return and limited crowds but I honestly don’t see any alternative. I just can’t see them going from 0 to full capacity over night so this makes sense to me. You could potentially have it so fans in the same “bubble” can sit next to each other. I think this was one of the major complaints because of people who go with their family to the game and didn’t seem practical only half could go. Be interesting to see how this progresses.

There is some analysis of the fallout from the Bournemouth beach crowds a few weeks back. Suggests that there wasn’t a massive spike after that weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/53519668
Last edited by Sam_Brown on Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:21 am
  • All fans were obliged to wear face coverings. There are many in our country who oppose face coverings and some have argued that they have little effect in preventing viral spread. Will they adopt this measure.
I know there are people who like to think there is a huge proportion of people kicking off over the masks but feel it’s blown out of proportion slightly. I feel the majority of people follow the rules. There will always be some selfish people who don’t like to follow the rules but on a macro level as long as the majority follow the rules the relative impact of those who don’t should be negligible.

Edit: Theres obviously a further discussion about whether the rules / guidance are adequate in the first place. If it all kicks off again I don’t think it’s down to one or two people not following the rules but more because the rules were wrong. If that makes sense.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

As shouting and singing is something that promotes spreading of the disease it will be interesting to see if we end up with a collectively whispered version of the Pompey Chimes along with the deafening ding-a-ling of Westwood's school bell.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

If the Pompey matches streamed by IFollow are of the same low quality as the two play-off games v. Oxford I'm dreading the prospect of giving up 90 minutes of my life every week to watch that turgid and aimless football.

What has made it even more obvious is the super quality of most of the Premiership games on TV, which has reinforced the enormous gap in quality and skill between that and Jackett hoofball.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:45 pm
I know there are people who like to think there is a huge proportion of people kicking off over the masks but feel it’s blown out of proportion slightly. I feel the majority of people follow the rules. There will always be some selfish people who don’t like to follow the rules but on a macro level as long as the majority follow the rules the relative impact of those who don’t should be negligible.

Edit: Theres obviously a further discussion about whether the rules / guidance are adequate in the first place. If it all kicks off again I don’t think it’s down to one or two people not following the rules but more because the rules were wrong. If that makes sense.
I'm not sure it's that people are selfish about masks but many are questioning the logic . The rules make no sense . For instance I can go to a cafe buy a coffee and drink it there , no mask required . But pop in for two minutes to get a takeaway coffee and mask is required

Can the virus get us when popping out for a pint of milk but not if we spend 2 hours in a busy pub?

I've said from the start the government handling of all this has been farcical and everyday something else pops up to reinforce my opinion.

I'm doing all my shopping click and collect now and other than going to the pub, work and exercising I'm staying out of the way .

If anybody can recommend any countries for grown ups that I can emigrate to it would be greatly appreciated 👍
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

I agree with Mr Nuts. The government handling of this thing has, at times. been a joke however I think the mask / face covering move is a good one if not a little overdue.

Japan was one of the earliest countries to get multiple cases of the virus and the way their Prime Minister, Mr Abe, and his government have been even more erratic than ours however in Japan, the wearing of masks to prevent the spread of germs and colds has been part of their culture for many years. That, in my opinion, is why their numbers are so remarkably low. The main places of spread are karaoke bars, hostess bars and gyms. Catching it anywhere else is very infrequent.

Could the mask wearing be a factor? Who knows. but certainly out of respect to shop workers, drivers etc I shall certainly be wearing one.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

On the other side of that though ,GB, cases are on the rise in France, Spain and California . Three places with some of the strictest mask laws in the world . So who knows really.

Personally I prefer to stay out of the way until some kind of sanity returns.

The latest from Adolph Hancock is thst they're going to tackle obesity as this can make you more at risk from the virus. So obviously the first thing to do is start a 50%off in restaurants scheme next weekend 🤦

I've never heard the "Health Secretary" give one bit of actual health advice . Its just been hide, stay apart, cover your face. Nothing about how to help keep your immune system healthy or the rest of your body or mind for that matter .
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

"For instance I can go to a cafe buy a coffee and drink it there , no mask required . But pop in for two minutes to get a takeaway coffee and mask is required"

You enter a coffee shop with mask on. You take it off when seated at your table. If you leave your table you put your mask back on again. At least that's the rule according to Caffe Nero.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

New Forester wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:05 pm "For instance I can go to a cafe buy a coffee and drink it there , no mask required . But pop in for two minutes to get a takeaway coffee and mask is required"

You enter a coffee shop with mask on. You take it off when seated at your table. If you leave your table you put your mask back on again. At least that's the rule according to Caffe Nero.
As I said , I'm staying out of the way until some sort of sanity returns .
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

One thing we all must agree on is that we all either agree with eachother, partly agree with eachother or completely dissagree with each other. Except those who don't.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:48 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:45 pm

I'm not sure it's that people are selfish about masks but many are questioning the logic . The rules make no sense . For instance I can go to a cafe buy a coffee and drink it there , no mask required . But pop in for two minutes to get a takeaway coffee and mask is required

Can the virus get us when popping out for a pint of milk but not if we spend 2 hours in a busy pub?

I've said from the start the government handling of all this has been farcical and everyday something else pops up to reinforce my opinion.

I'm doing all my shopping click and collect now and other than going to the pub, work and exercising I'm staying out of the way .

If anybody can recommend any countries for grown ups that I can emigrate to it would be greatly appreciated 👍
I agree it’s been ****** poor. Just look at the new quarantine restrictions on people coming from Spain which I think were only lifted a few weeks back. Part of me think the poor communication is intentional to make it confusing so the government can blame the people for not using their common sense. I dunno.

On the flip side I get the complaints about it not being logical. It’s not. But then I also get we aren’t going to go from 100% lockdown to everything going back to normal over night. It was always going to be a gradual path back to “normality” and mitigating as much as practical which means somethings are eased off and some remain more strict which is going to lead to some subjectivity over what’s happening.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:17 pm
New Forester wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:05 pm "For instance I can go to a cafe buy a coffee and drink it there , no mask required . But pop in for two minutes to get a takeaway coffee and mask is required"

As I said , I'm staying out of the way until some sort of sanity returns .
Ultimately that’s all any of us can do. We have to make a personal decision on what we’re all going to do and take responsibility for our actions. I guess the more people that stay home the less the virus will spread which is only a good thing.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:42 pm One thing we all must agree on is that we all either agree with eachother, partly agree with eachother or completely dissagree with each other. Except those who don't.
You're wrong. As usual 👍