Cook leaving Wigan

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Cook leaving Wigan

Post by Dinksy »

Probably heading for Bristol City.
Not going to happen but out of interest, who would have him back here?
Never thought I'd miss those flailing arms and rants at the fourth official but after three years of Mr Spock, I kinda miss him
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: Cook leaving Wigan

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I quite liked him, but didn't like the whole "I'll never manage another club other than Pompey (or Liverpool)" thing. I liked the tippy-tappy football he played, although did get frustrated with the lack of penetration of bus-parked defences.

Would I have him back? Maybe.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Probably but I would be happy to let Jackett see out the last year of his contract first for various reasons and see the lay of the land at that time.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:46 pm Probably but I would be happy to let Jackett see out the last year of his contract first for various reasons and see the lay of the land at that time.
I think that the question was purely rhetorical. There is no way on Earth that Tornante are going to fire Kenny at this point. The club is losing money hand-over-fist at this point, with no gate receipts since early March, they cannot afford to pay a new manager and pay off Kenny's contract. If we haven't been promoted this time next year, then we may see them not renew his contract, but then again, they appear to be very loyal to their employees, so we may well not.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Every day of the week - best manager we have had in years.

Better than everyone we have had since Grant hands down.

Had a vision, had a style, was passionate which people moaned about, now miss.

Was always respectful to the opposing team in post match interviews, always praised the team as well as individuals.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:12 pm Every day of the week - best manager we have had in years.

Better than everyone we have had since Grant hands down.

Had a vision, had a style, was passionate which people moaned about, now miss.

Was always respectful to the opposing team in post match interviews, always praised the team as well as individuals.
Did he write that? Biggest ego at the club since Redkrapp, and I never liked him either.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Whether you like him or not (and at times I found his football totally frustrating) I firmly believe that if he had stayed with us we would now be playing Championship football and be safe in that league.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

blue architect wrote:Whether you like him or not (and at times I found his football totally frustrating) I firmly believe that if he had stayed with us we would now be playing Championship football and be safe in that league.
Yup. We would have kept that team together with the irrepressable Michael Doyle at its fulcrum. Given the buzz from that last day drama, I think it would have carried us over the line the following year. And Cook has shown he is capable of sustaining a decent league position in the Championship.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

No point looking back and thinking what if. The question to ask now would be, assuming KJ leaves (which I don't think he will), would Cook be the top of anyone's list to take over if there were others available? Just because he has previously been with us and won something should not allow him to artificially jump up the pecking order. I am sure some here would have him top of their preferred list but he wouldn't be top of mine.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 am No point looking back and thinking what if. The question to ask now would be, assuming KJ leaves (which I don't think he will), would Cook be the top of anyone's list to take over if there were others available? Just because he has previously been with us and won something should not allow him to artificially jump up the pecking order. I am sure some here would have him top of their preferred list but he wouldn't be top of mine.
I think more to the point, we wouldn't be top of his preferred list. Cook has well planned his managerial career so far, and the last six months at Wigan has given him the next step up he was looking for - someone like Bristol City I'd imagine.