EFL Trophy Final. Enough is Enough?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: EFL Trophy Final. Enough is Enough?

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:59 pm I'm at the point I'd just like to know either way. It's the lack of communication that's most frustrating to me.
I think that is my frustration too SB. In the run up to the original date of the match there was no information at all then afterwards nothing. then we started to get the tickets and that is the only real comms we have had. very poor service I would argue so quite pissed off really.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Its very hard to see a way in which this game can be played before 50,000+ at Wembley in the next 12 months unless an effective vaccine is found and rolled out fully within that period. It will be interesting to see whether the competition is held next season, surely you can't start playing matches before the previous years' final has been held!

My guess is that it will be voided, and ticket holders will be refunded , however hard it is for Wembley to give it back.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I've got quite a lot of money tied up with the 10 tickets that I bought, along with 10 tickets for Box Park that I paid for!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Back in the depths of time, I was really looking forward to this game. However, it has got to the stage where it all seems pretty pointless, even as a one-off day out. Both teams, but especially Salford, have released players and there will be signings before the game takes place. It would seem to have nothing to do with the teams that played in 2019-20.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:25 pm Back in the depths of time, I was really looking forward to this game. However, it has got to the stage where it all seems pretty pointless, even as a one-off day out. Both teams, but especially Salford, have released players and there will be signings before the game takes place. It would seem to have nothing to do with the teams that played in 2019-20.
Agreed fully. How can this final be seen with any credibility if it is not played during its intended season. It must be played as a pre-season opener or else it will jut become an albatross around the neck.

I am not sure whether it is Leasing.com or the EFL that make the shout on when it will be played but you can bet your life their only intent is to salvage as much money as they can from this. If it drags on too long and people forget about it they won't even gain TV money so play it sooner than later and let's focus on the new season.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Thing is by the time it gets played, if at all, will be two totally different sets of players and two teams with massively different priorities anyway. Just be done with and cancel already.
Living in exile thinking Blue
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

You never know, but if Covid carries on for long enough we could end up holding the EFL trophy for 6 years too :wink:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

FatBlueAde wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:01 pm Thing is by the time it gets played, if at all, will be two totally different sets of players and two teams with massively different priorities anyway. Just be done with and cancel already.
Sounds like an easy win for Pompey then :thumb
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:11 pm You never know, but if Covid carries on for long enough we could end up holding the EFL trophy for 6 years too :wink:
:lol:
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:36 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:59 pm I'm at the point I'd just like to know either way. It's the lack of communication that's most frustrating to me.
I think that is my frustration too SB. In the run up to the original date of the match there was no information at all then afterwards nothing. then we started to get the tickets and that is the only real comms we have had. very poor service I would argue so quite pissed off really.
I appreciate it's frustrating, chaps, but what exactly is it that you are expecting them to tell you, that you don't already know?

They don't know when it will be played. They don't know IF it will be played. They don't know whether fans will be allowed to watch if it is played. They don't know how many fans will be allowed to watch if any are allowed at all.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:16 pm
I appreciate it's frustrating, chaps, but what exactly is it that you are expecting them to tell you, that you don't already know?

They don't know when it will be played. They don't know IF it will be played. They don't know whether fans will be allowed to watch if it is played. They don't know how many fans will be allowed to watch if any are allowed at all.
I would like them to tell me how I can return some of the 8 tickets I bought should the friends I bought them for no longer wish to attend.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I can't think of any reason why it would never go ahead at all.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

GreenBlue wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:34 pm

I would like them to tell me how I can return some of the 8 tickets I bought should the friends I bought them for no longer wish to attend.
Once the date has been announced, if you can't attend you should contact the ticket office.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

I hope I'm wrong and this who dreadful COVID-19 saga comes to a swift and dramatic end but I get the feeling the date will not be announced.

How long can it be postponed for especially with next season's early rounds likely to kick off in the next couple of months.

If fail to qualify from the group this season, would we be the first club ever to be eliminated from a particular tournament/competition and yet win it in the same season?

Equally, if we go all the way in the competition again this coming season, I am pretty sure we would be the first team to win a particular trophy twice in the same season.

...and what are the chances of last years final being played after this years or maybe on the same day?

One for statto's out there. I'm pretty sure this was never in my Rothmans Football Handbook.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

The EFL have handled this is a shambolic manner IMHO.

No further announcement since they postponed the match - date TBC, that was best part of 5 months ago FFS !

Meanwhile one of the organisations (?) is sitting on the funds generated by the sale of 50k tickets to loyal Pompey fans like us !

EFL need to announce the date for the 19/20 Final before the 20/21 competition commences OR offer those that no longer feel able (or wish) to attend the match a refund in full.

Rant over

PUP !