"Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: "Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Interestingly, the excess deaths reported (5-year rolling average for week of year) in the UK is now negative. IOW, we are seeing less deaths than we would expect for mid-July.

Clearly there are a number of reasons for this, not least reduced RTAs, but there is also a clear reduction in the rates of non-covid-19 infections. This has been attributed to our general improvement in hygiene standards (proper handwashing, use of tissues, wearing masks indoors, etc.) and less physical or close contact. How much of this might be due to wearing masks is just guesswork, but if it plays a part why not do it?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

[quote]we are seeing less deaths than we would expect for mid-July.[quote="Pompey Penguin" post_id=897542 time=1596715628 user_id=64]

Could that be because they are already dead??...from Covid, before they would have naturally died?? 8)
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

eltorrro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:03 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:07 pm we are seeing less deaths than we would expect for mid-July.

Could that be because they are already dead??...from Covid, before they would have naturally died?? 8)
We will probably never know as PHE have made a pigs ear of counting deaths . I wonder what ever happened about the urgent review into it that Hancock ordered?.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:07 pm We will probably never know as PHE have made a pigs ear of counting deaths . I wonder what ever happened about the urgent review into it that Hancock ordered?.
We agree on something bl**dy hell lol. Not sure on any official announcements from the Government but this article is from today and goes someway to explain the current situation and how the review is likely to reduce "official deaths" by around 4,000.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... iasco.html
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:41 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 pm Masks have been worn for may years by people in Japan when they have colds to stop the spread. Masks are never worn twice, unless they are washable re-usable ones. I have long wondered why the Corona figures in Japan have stayed so low seeing as it was one of the first countries to be exposed to this virus. I believe the widespread wearing of masks could have been a contributing factor. Guess what? I'm pro sensible usage of masks just in case you hadn't already guessed. :D
How do they get colds if the masks work ?

😉
From hostess and karaoke bars when they take them off. :-) Otherwise they don't get colds. Have you seen the average number of sick days a Japanese worker takes?
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:07 pm We will probably never know as PHE have made a pigs ear of counting deaths . I wonder what ever happened about the urgent review into it that Hancock ordered?.
We agree on something bl**dy hell lol. Not sure on any official announcements from the Government but this article is from today and goes someway to explain the current situation and how the review is likely to reduce "official deaths" by around 4,000.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... iasco.html
Crikey . I doubt we will ever no the true figure
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Seems to me to be as much about trying to put a slightly less worse spin on the numbers than actually getting to the truth. "Oh look, we're only absolute sh!te rather than totally sh!te".
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:56 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:41 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 pm Masks have been worn for may years by people in Japan when they have colds to stop the spread. Masks are never worn twice, unless they are washable re-usable ones. I have long wondered why the Corona figures in Japan have stayed so low seeing as it was one of the first countries to be exposed to this virus. I believe the widespread wearing of masks could have been a contributing factor. Guess what? I'm pro sensible usage of masks just in case you hadn't already guessed. :D
How do they get colds if the masks work ?

😉
From hostess and karaoke bars when they take them off. :-) Otherwise they don't get colds. Have you seen the average number of sick days a Japanese worker takes?
I've never been , GB . So I don't really know how often they wear masks or how widespread it is . Although I have read that their school days are very long without much breaks. So if true maybe they also just get on with it a bit better than we do here .

I reckon I'm on par with them . I had my first days off sick in nearly 10 years this past winter.
They seem to eat more healthily in general than we do here .
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Went back to page 1 and read the original post I'd written 4 months ago.
Not a whole lot I'd change tbh.

If you somewhat agreed back then....has your opinion changed?
Or, if you disagreed....has your opinion changed?

Again, sympathies to those personally affected....its opinion on the situation as a whole.
Div III. Call it what it is.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm Went back to page 1 and read the original post I'd written 4 months ago.

Again, sympathies to those personally affected....its opinion on the situation as a whole.
In answer to the original question, I'd happily live on my knees for a period of time to avoid dying on my feet now, Then I can live on my feet again later. Simple.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

and... I would happily live on my knees for a period of time if it helps to protect vulnerable people.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 am
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm Went back to page 1 and read the original post I'd written 4 months ago.

In answer to the original question, I'd happily live on my knees for a period of time to avoid dying on my feet now, Then I can live on my feet again later. Simple.
I don't think we are ever going back to normal. Month 5 of 3 weeks to flatten a curve .

The death rate drops to next to nothing so they start counting cases....

Don't wear masks . But now maybe just wear a mask on public transport . Oh , and now in the shops , cinema , church ..

You see where this is going ?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

You could argue it's (slowly) going where it should have done four months ago.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:37 pm You could argue it's (slowly) going where it should have done four months ago.
Hopefully not down this route
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:07 pm The death rate drops to next to nothing so they start counting cases....
Deaths down to next to nothing? Really?

And counting cases is a key factor to establishing the rate of transmission. I'd argue that that was quite important.