'Squad Salary Caps' introduced in League One And League Two

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: 'Squad Salary Caps' introduced in League One And League Two

Post by Dinksy »

Weybridge wrote:I just hope it gets extended to the other two divisions at some point.
:rofl :lol:
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I wonder how many player coaches we will have going forward....
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

The really daft thing is that it won't even help those clubs at the bottom of the attendance table to avoid administration. Clubs only getting a few thousand supporters will still be able to spend way more that their income and hence eventually go bust.

Draw the line where you like, but there are a lot of clubs there for whom £2.5M/year in salaries would be suicidal (unless they can do like Wycombe and make it out of L1 on a one year risk-all strategy).

https://www.worldfootball.net/attendanc ... 19-2020/1/

Percentage of turnover on salaries is the only way that has any hope of achieving the EFL's stated aims.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Question. Is this a 1 or 2 year rule (ie to deal with Covid consequences), or are they suggesting it's permanent?

If it's a short term measure and you're in favour of preserving as many clubs as possible then surely it's a good thing.

If the intention is for it to be a long term arrangement then I think it will actually destroy more clubs than it will save.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

As I understand it, the cap is permanent.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

If this rule was in place would the Eisner's have bought us? Granted the trust might have been able to afford to run the club for longer.

What is the club to do with any profit it might make? Do the owners just pocket it? Does this make lower League clubs more attractive to shadey chancers?

Whoever wins league one this season should make a stand and say do you know what - we don't wish to be promoted because we cannot compete on sporting grounds - and your forcing us down a route of financially crippling ourselves as you will need a pretty much entire new side if you get promoted and the increase in wages will need to be huge.

A lot of smaller clubs have shot themselves in the foot.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

What's to stop Tornate buying the player and paying his wages and he is effectively rented to the club? Bit like the whole Tevez thing where they were part owned by agents or something.

Alternatively could PFC not buy a club in another country or outside the league pyramid - they buy the players pay them whatever and then loan them to PFC?

Not saying I agree with any of these or we should do them - but surely it's just going to end up in move creative ownership which will not benefit anyone. Looks at Derby and Sheffield Wednesday as examples...
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

We can only hope that the PFA's appeal gets this decision overturned.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm all for making football more sustainable - but this just doesn't do that. It has to be related to turnover.

In the medium term we should have more money sloshing about to improve the infrastructure more quickly but that's assuming the product on offer keeps people wanting to come.

Why would we invest in things like conferring facilities etc... If we cannot use that commercial revenue to get a competitive advantage?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:16 pm Why would we invest in things like conferring facilities etc... If we cannot use that commercial revenue to get a competitive advantage?
It would have to be about being imaginative in the ways we levered that financial advantage. (In addition to the loan system).

Investing in training facilities, away travel standards, the academy, young player salaries and other strategies that might make us more attractive than other teams.

Using the money to invest in ground improvments and expansion of the stadium. There is nothing to stop teams spending in this way, even if it is beyond any possible requirement. Such steps would make us more likely to be competitive if we got promoted.

Invest in the women's team, other associated teams, and Pompey in The Community generally. The more we are still seen as a community club, the more people will stick with us even if the system is frustrating.

To be fair, I have far more faith in Eisner and Catlin to make good decisions in these areas than the vast majority of football club owners and CEOs.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I’m all for investing in the youth team and training facilities. I don’t feel we’ve had too many success stories to talk about over the years so anything to produce more successes on that front is only a good thing imo.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think the academy has served us very well - we have first team regulars that have come through and academy products playing higher up the pyramid that's got to been seen as a success.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:11 pm I think the academy has served us very well - we have first team regulars that have come through and academy products playing higher up the pyramid that's got to been seen as a success.
I must admit I’ve probably not been following this as closely as I should have. Who are you talking about?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:20 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:11 pm I think the academy has served us very well - we have first team regulars that have come through and academy products playing higher up the pyramid that's got to been seen as a success.
I must admit I’ve probably not been following this as closely as I should have. Who are you talking about?
Jed Wallace, Adam Webster, Brandon Haunstrup, Ben Close, Conor Chaplin, Alex Bass, Dan Butler, Adam May, Jack Whatmough. And others who came close. Best part of a full team there; just need a couple more forward players and that would be an OK L1 side.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:36 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:20 pm
Jed Wallace, Adam Webster, Brandon Haunstrup, Ben Close, Conor Chaplin, Alex Bass, Dan Butler, Adam May, Jack Whatmough. And others who came close. Best part of a full team there; just need a couple more forward players and that would be an OK L1 side.
Thank you. I admit I wasn’t aware of most of those outside whatmough and close 👍
Coeli lux nostra ductrix