"Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: "Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:24 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:07 pm The death rate drops to next to nothing so they start counting cases....
Deaths down to next to nothing? Really?

And counting cases is a key factor to establishing the rate of transmission. I'd argue that that was quite important.
What I really meant is that the larger cases number is now pushed to keep the fear going rather than the low death number .

And to your first question
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covi ... -bvm0mxl2n
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:04 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:07 pm The death rate drops to next to nothing so they start counting cases....

And counting cases is a key factor to establishing the rate of transmission. I'd argue that that was quite important.
What I really meant is that the larger cases number is now pushed to keep the fear going rather than the low death number .

55 yesterday, 98 the day before and 8 today. Weekend figures are always much lower than other days due to the way they are reported.

I look at the number of cases as measure, not because I am being pressured to keep the fear going but because it is a factual figure on which I can make my own mind up. Cases are rising slightly so we do need to keep control of them. In my opinion.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:49 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:04 pm

55 yesterday, 98 the day before and 8 today. Weekend figures are always much lower than other days due to the way they are reported.

I look at the number of cases as measure, not because I am being pressured to keep the fear going but because it is a factual figure on which I can make my own mind up. Cases are rising slightly so we do need to keep control of them. In my opinion.
Of course. It’s trends that are important. If cases per capita are rising then what needs to be done to stop them rising? Or is the rationale that they will slow down on their own?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

It is worth noting that the government hasn’t officially reported on deaths since July 17th so recent trends on this number aren’t accurate at the moment.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

richisbradders wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:34 pm It is worth noting that the government hasn’t officially reported on deaths since July 17th so recent trends on this number aren’t accurate at the moment.
All the government were doing were parroting their figures from PHE (I think). Can’t recall for sure the exact source but it’s not like the government were compiling them themselves.

You can get the NHS figures here and compare like for like. As mentioned previously I think it’s the trends people should be caring about. Not individually data points. Are death rates or cases going up or going down?

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/s ... ly-deaths/
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm Went back to page 1 and read the original post I'd written 4 months ago.
Not a whole lot I'd change tbh.

If you somewhat agreed back then....has your opinion changed?
Or, if you disagreed....has your opinion changed?

Again, sympathies to those personally affected....its opinion on the situation as a whole.
At one point my opinion softened a bit in result to some of the extremes certain groups were taking. I did feel some of the protests from teachers were a little misguided especially, anecdotally admittedly, after speaking to a few and the dangers they were saying were there which in my head at the time sounded like were being over blown. But then here we are a few months on with cases rising and more and more towns and cities entering local lockdown. I wonder if my opinions were being shaped partly due to Mrs Brown being made redundant as she works in a child heavy industry (no not watch watchers for fat kids 🤣).

One thing I do think is that everyone is doing their best but our governments best has been worse than that of other countries. I mean we still don’t have a fully adequate track and test system which was one of the promises a few months back before sending kids back to school. Although I’m not convinced labour or any of the other parties would have fared any better just to try and show this isn’t an ideological reason for thinking the government has handed this poorly.

A query back to you Kid. Do you still feel the stance you were taking on rural areas is still valid or have your views changed? Especially in the lights of comments from trumps own Corona virus task force starting rural areas should be more careful. I think Deborah Birx‘s comments were the most recent on this.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:24 am
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm Went back to page 1 and read the original post I'd written 4 months ago.
Not a whole lot I'd change tbh.

If you somewhat agreed back then....has your opinion changed?
Or, if you disagreed....has your opinion changed?

Again, sympathies to those personally affected....its opinion on the situation as a whole.
At one point my opinion softened a bit in result to some of the extremes certain groups were taking. I did feel some of the protests from teachers were a little misguided especially, anecdotally admittedly, after speaking to a few and the dangers they were saying were there which in my head at the time sounded like were being over blown. But then here we are a few months on with cases rising and more and more towns and cities entering local lockdown. I wonder if my opinions were being shaped partly due to Mrs Brown being made redundant as she works in a child heavy industry (no not watch watchers for fat kids 🤣).

One thing I do think is that everyone is doing their best but our governments best has been worse than that of other countries. I mean we still don’t have a fully adequate track and test system which was one of the promises a few months back before sending kids back to school. Although I’m not convinced labour or any of the other parties would have fared any better just to try and show this isn’t an ideological reason for thinking the government has handed this poorly.

A query back to you Kid. Do you still feel the stance you were taking on rural areas is still valid or have your views changed? Especially in the lights of comments from trumps own Corona virus task force starting rural areas should be more careful. I think Deborah Birx‘s comments were the most recent on this.
Well, I should say re rural that you take the precautions you need as you would anywhere where numbers are rising to keep healthcare from being overrun. Heck, we have Sturgis in progress. If yer not familiar with this, its 250,000 bikers converging every year on Sturgis, a smallish town in South Dakota...middle of nowhere. I doubt that's going to turn out well.
I'll make this slightly bold prediction for USA and UK. We now have 5 million positive test cases. Good science reckons (source CDC) 10x that number have had the virus but had no symptoms. That's 50 million in USA, pop 350mil. Other solid science suggests millions of us are naturally immune(sorry, cant find that source I read yesterday). So, my slightly bold prediction is the thing is running out of places to go and I reckon 2-3 months from now, it'll be a bit of a dead duck except for isolated outbreaks. I guess we'll come back and see around Trumpy election time, 2 1/2 months out.
Interesting to note that, as I've previously mentioned, I get around....early doors the Southern rural Trumpy States, particularly Alabama and Mississippi, were doing next to nothing precaution wise but now their mask/distancing participation is pretty high.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

I think the big thing is going to depend on whether or not you get permanent immunity to it once you’ve had it.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I fear, that while in some countries there have been low reported numbers or less 'public' concern, it could be because the event has not been politicized.

Scientists have been wrong multiple times, some guesses have come close and some way off the mark. However, Science is only improved through correcting errors (yes, I am defending Science). People lose trust when Science is given as facts, then changed, when the information changes. Thus, people don't know what to believe.

Then you look at the political aspect and you'll see the biggest swing in opinions comes in countries where both sides are politically active. The people then side with what their party is saying....and it is fair to say that both sides in all countries, will fight for their own viewpoint, whether their opinion i s right or wrong.

News sources follow more to the political stance, rather than the 'facts'. Even hospital figures have now been shown to be false as financial benefits go to the hospitals per ICU patients reported.

With people not trusting sources, not trusting Scientists or politicians and having their lives changed weekly.....is it any wonder there is confusion, frustration and a deepening of the 'no trust' attitude we are in.

See, I can be non politically biased....I blame everyone, including all the people :-)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

uspompeyfan wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:21 pm is it any wonder there is confusion, frustration and a deepening of the 'no trust' attitude we are in.
I don't know. I don't buy the "it's a wash" mentality from some. A did this... B did that... yeahs let's just ignore the whole thing. It's all about false equivalence and something I don't buy.

As for the last comment did make me chuckle that coming from a yank. As there was an article from the EU recently about Russia and their online presence. Basically their plan being to flood the internet with so much crap you don't know what is real and what is fake? The endgame not even being to push a particular agenda with the confusion and lack of trust being the end goal in itself.

EDIT: Some interesting reading from the US State Department as well on state sponsored disinformation as a whole that's worth a read if you have the time. It's a bit dry.

https://www.state.gov/wp-content/upload ... al-Age.pdf
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Sam,
To be honest, I get along with my life and in an ever-changing World, try to keep things as normal as possible. Wear masks when appropriate (not against them for now) and take the trips we would normally do as a family. The hotel industry was decimated by the lack of travel...over 1100 hotels closed in Phoenix and just under 400 have reopened, so thousands left without work and it may take a few years to get that confidence back.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:48 pm Sam,
To be honest, I get along with my life and in an ever-changing World, try to keep things as normal as possible. Wear masks when appropriate (not against them for now) and take the trips we would normally do as a family. The hotel industry was decimated by the lack of travel...over 1100 hotels closed in Phoenix and just under 400 have reopened, so thousands left without work and it may take a few years to get that confidence back.
I think that’s the only thing I’ve taken from my UK seat on the US going ons. Everything appears to have been kinda half in and half out. You could possibly say the same about the UK as well so this isn’t a personal attack on the US.

I think the countries that have done well have been those with decisive leadership and making strong decisions early on. The thing I’ve taken from the US is that they’ve not really committed to the economy OR safety and kinda gone with a “let’s see where the wind takes us” approach with neither the economy or death figures doing well as a result. At least if they’d committed to one way or the other one might be doing ok. Again this is from a UK seat and I’m probably not as au fait with the situation as you or kid so happy to understand your opinions on this front.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

:thumb
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

The quarantine / non-quarantine situation is getting really confusing. On Monday, my wife was due to meet someone returning from France this evening who doesn't need to quarantine, but if they had chosen to return a few hours later, would have to quarantine for 14 days.

I have knocked up a quarantine bingo card..... Netherlands, Monaco, Malta, Turks and Caicos, and Aruba.... BINGO!!! Winning prize a 14 night stay on a cruise ship berthed off the coast of Dorset. YAY!! :shock:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Part of me feels the government only removed the quarantine just enough for people to book a ****** load of holidays and flights before reinstating them. I'm sure I'm just being cynical.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix