'Squad Salary Caps' introduced in League One And League Two

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: 'Squad Salary Caps' introduced in League One And League Two

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:53 pm
To be fair, I have far more faith in Eisner and Catlin to make good decisions in these areas than the vast majority of football club owners and CEOs.
I'm with you, but it appears the vast majority of Pompey fans don't agree with us!
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:30 am
To be fair, I have far more faith in Eisner and Catlin to make good decisions in these areas than the vast majority of football club owners and CEOs.
I'm with you, but it appears the vast majority of Pompey fans don't agree with us!
Also completely agree: I really don't understand why some (but not all) Pompey fans are so critical of our owners during this really difficult time.

Major business uncertainty, all D1 clubs losing all income, majority decision in D1 against the wishes of PFC, yet Tornante are continuing to invest in the ground and in the squad.

Empty barrels.....?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Milton End wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:18 am
Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:30 am
Also completely agree: I really don't understand why some (but not all) Pompey fans are so critical of our owners during this really difficult time.

Major business uncertainty, all D1 clubs losing all income, majority decision in D1 against the wishes of PFC, yet Tornante are continuing to invest in the ground and in the squad.

Empty barrels.....?
It always amazes me that so many Pompey fans just want the owners to load debt onto the club (which is what spending really amounts to), especially after what we went through.

If they want a different owner Steve Dale (ex-Bury) is available, and Mike Ashley soon will be.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Plus Haji Mnoga and Petar Durin ( although not in first team as yet, or at all in Petar's case).
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:30 pm The really daft thing is that it won't even help those clubs at the bottom of the attendance table to avoid administration. Clubs only getting a few thousand supporters will still be able to spend way more that their income and hence eventually go bust.

Draw the line where you like, but there are a lot of clubs there for whom £2.5M/year in salaries would be suicidal (unless they can do like Wycombe and make it out of L1 on a one year risk-all strategy).
No, don't you remember? In order to make clubs sustainable, they have imposed the salary cap, but if your club doesn't have a wage budget of £2.5M, then your owner can saddle you with more debt by topping up your budget....... You couldn't make it up.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm very happy with the club's leadership and approach.

I'm not dead against Kenny - but I've never been a huge fan preferred Paul Cook.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 pm I'm very happy with the club's leadership and approach.
Off the pitch I 100% agree with you. On the pitch - I appreciate the case for sticking with KJ for another year with all the uncertainty, but still would like to set them roll the dice. I don't think we'd be worse off by taking a gamble with a new manager.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

On the basis that (I believe) squad salary caps do not include managerial and coaching staff, it would seem to make sense, at least when crowds return, for clubs like us to spend money on recruiting the best manager and staff possible. However, for this season with very uncertain income, the logical choice is to stick with KJ until his contract expires. I do believe though that we need to make a really good start to the season, or his position could become untenable.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Like on most topics, I think the board is split on this one too. I have never been a great fan of KJ as he has always been a little "too safe" for me however the the new salary caps in play, I believe safety and consistency are vital. Would I still like a young dynamic manager? Yes but as the new season approaches and it appears clear that we will not change the manager, I will be right behind him and the team. That said, he really does now to show his managerial worth as we really do need to be getting out of this division pretty sharpish.

Regarding the owner, I cannot criticise at all and cannot see why he is getting so much flack. If it is just for being loyal to his manager and believing he is still the right man for the job then, as the owner, he is allowed his views as well as the rest of us. Even amongst our relatively small group, most suggestions for a replacement manager were poo-pooed for being inferior to KJ or unattainable.

The salary cap is going to massive shape the outlook of our division and things will be different to normal so why add another uncertainty or risk to the unknown. If we are struggling at Christmas or fail to get promoted playing boring football, I will join the KJ out campaign but for the present I think we give him more time.