New hand ball laws

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

New hand ball laws

Post by portchesterblue »

imho are an absolute joke. Shocker given against man utd yesterday and an even worse decision given against spurs today. Ball kicked from a yard away and ricochets up into his arm, no movement of his arm either, total joke
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: New hand ball laws

Post by Mr Dee »

portchesterblue wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:56 pm imho are an absolute joke. Shocker given against man utd yesterday and an even worse decision given against spurs today. Ball kicked from a yard away and ricochets up into his arm, no movement of his arm either, total joke
2020 certainly has been the year for rules that don't make any sense.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

portchesterblue wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:56 pm imho are an absolute joke. Shocker given against man utd yesterday and an even worse decision given against spurs today. Ball kicked from a yard away and ricochets up into his arm, no movement of his arm either, total joke
I agree, it's a joke. Previously, there was a certain degree of subjectivity from the ref as to whether it was deliberate or not.

Of course, years ago, if you were offside, you were offside, regardless of whether you were deemed to be "active" or "interfering with play" or whatever the current term is.

So, on one hand, taking subjectivity out is a bad thing, and on the other, putting subjectivity in is a bad thing.

Funny ol game, innit.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I'd rather go back to the good old days when there would be an occasional screw up by the refs which would then be a talking point. All this VAR stuff is taking the thrill out of the game imo. Was that a goal? ...Lets all wait 3 1/2 minutes to find out. Micro offsides, incidental hands I could go on.
If we must keep it lets borrow from the NFL and give the opposing manager 2 challenges per game or some such thing.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:43 am I'd rather go back to the good old days when there would be an occasional screw up by the refs which would then be a talking point. All this VAR stuff is taking the thrill out of the game imo. Was that a goal? ...Lets all wait 3 1/2 minutes to find out. Micro offsides, incidental hands I could go on.
If we must keep it lets borrow from the NFL and give the opposing manager 2 challenges per game or some such thing.
Seems to work quite well in cricket and tennis too.

The thing that you're forgetting, of course, is that there's far too much money riding on football to accept any human error.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

The difference with tennis, cricket and American football vs football/soccer, is there are fewer breaks in play in the latter to use challenges. In football, there needs to be an active decision to challenge, rather than not making a decision as challenges could be used tactically to break up play.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

... and chips wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:49 pm The difference with tennis, cricket and American football vs football/soccer, is there are fewer breaks in play in the latter to use challenges. In football, there needs to be an active decision to challenge, rather than not making a decision as challenges could be used tactically to break up play.
True, but if you said the challenge had to be made within 5 secs of the incident happening and you only had 2 per game, then it might work?
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:43 am If we must keep it lets borrow from the NFL and give the opposing manager 2 challenges per game or some such thing.
I think that would be a dreadful idea. The managers don't have the best view of most critical incidents. Yes they could rewatch it on TV but isn't that exactly what VAR does anyway. And imagine if the manager accidentally triggers a challenge. Absolute nonsense. The best people to make any call are the team of onfield officials, either with or without the intervention of VAR.

I can think of nothing worse than bringing Americani sporting procedures into our beautiful game. What next? 3 thirds instead of 2 halves all ice hockey?