Sunderland

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Sunderland

Post by past memories »

Sunderland point of view.
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

Sunderland have a solid defence and have been pretty impressive at the back so to put 3 past them is impressive.

I hope we're sticking with 442.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompeymack wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:06 pm I hope we're sticking with 442.
A lot is being made of the change to 4-4-2, but to my mind the more significant change was to bring Cannon into midfield instead of Morris/Close to play with Naylor. He is a far more energetic, pressing, forward midfielder than the alternatives. As a result we are actually playing closer to 4-1-3-2, or 4-1-4-1 at times if Marquis or Harness drop into midfield. It is a far more attacking approach, and we might pay for it at some point, but I would far rather see Pompey trying to score goals, than just concentrate on not conceding.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 am
A lot is being made of the change to 4-4-2, but to my mind the more significant change was to bring Cannon into midfield instead of Morris/Close to play with Naylor. He is a far more energetic, pressing, forward midfielder than the alternatives. As a result we are actually playing closer to 4-1-3-2, or 4-1-4-1 at times if Marquis or Harness drop into midfield. It is a far more attacking approach, and we might pay for it at some point, but I would far rather see Pompey trying to score goals, than just concentrate on not conceding.
Exactly. If we're going to lose I'd rather see us lose 4-3 than 1-0.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 am
Spot on PP. We've had this issue of finding the right midfielder to compliment Tom Naylor ever since Ben Thompson went back to Millwall. It's no coincidence that our form has improved with Cannon alongside Naylor. He's no BT, but he is better than Morris and Close in that role. Also, has anyone else noticed that the 4 times Ryan Williams has started we have won?
Rocketman
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rocketman »

I thought Williams was excellent yesterday, as was Marquis, Harness, Cannon, Jacobs till he went off, and Raggett
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Wonderful result & performance. What a turnaround from last weekend, can we carry on on tuesday-yes we can.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

The passes from Marquis to Harness and Harness to Jacobs to set up the second goal were just beautiful.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:04 pm The passes from Marquis to Harness and Harness to Jacobs to set up the second goal were just beautiful.
Oops - wrong game! They were beautiful passes though. Note to self - Try to keep up to date.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

A good reminder though that we are starting to pass the ball at all, beautifully or otherwise.