Hamilton the greatest driver ever?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Hamilton the greatest driver ever?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr Dee wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am I've read he will be awarded a knighthood but no doubt he will turn it down as this country is so institutionally racist.
He wouldn't be the first one.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/ ... y.monarchy
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

pompeygunner wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:24 am
portchesterblue wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 am Once again my sincere apologies for not keeping a thread to only a single track. And again having a different opinion to yourself on whether personality counts in a person and their achievements.
As I can't keep up with your exacting standards I will keep quiet from now on :thumb

Oh dear. You crack on portchesterblue, you seem to be very offended by my posting style. I'm not changing I hope you dont either.
Not offended at all, you don't seem over enamoured with mine.
I insist you don't change, and I won't either.
Be damn dull if we were all the same and could not have a bit of banter.
Hopefully you realise now, I was not being serious
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:06 pm ...I do have a problem with Hamilton's selected campaigning. [...] Why is he happy to race in and promote countries with oppressive regimes that include slavery and murder of equality activists as standard?
Pleased to see that Lewis is listening to me! Seriously though, top marks and respect to the man for standing up and talking about these issues, even if it might upset his paymasters.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... s-hamilton
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

So definitely not anything to do with him having the best car, all confirmed by George Russell, in his first year as an f1 driver, deputising for him goes fastest in 1st practice........oh hang on
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

George Russell is a very good driver as he has demonstrated time after time in qualifying however, let's see how he performs in the race. Yes he might beat Botas but I doubt he would have beaten Hamilton.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Yep, George Russell has been punching above his weight in what has been the worst car on the grid over the last two seasons, which is why Mercedes chose to put him in Hamilton's car rather than Vandoorne. Topping the timing sheets in both of today's FP sessions suggest that was an inspired decision, but Russell was under no pressure and the acid test is yet to come. By contrast, Bottas showed once again that he certainly can't handle pressure. And that's one of the things that sets Hamilton out as one of the greatest drivers of all time (if not the greatest), the greater the pressure the better he performs.

What I will say is that if (and it's still a big if) Russell were to finish ahead of Bottas on Sunday (let alone win), Mercedes may find it difficult to resist calls for him to replace Bottas next season - though Hamilton may prove to be the biggest barrier to that happening before he's bagged title number 8 :wink:
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

GreenBlue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:56 pm George Russell is a very good driver as he has demonstrated time after time in qualifying however, let's see how he performs in the race. Yes he might beat Botas but I doubt he would have beaten Hamilton.
So what you are saying is that George Russell o ly has to beat bottas? And thats because their cars are way faster than anything else and so it isn't a level playing field???
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

portchesterblue wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:01 am
GreenBlue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:56 pm George Russell is a very good driver as he has demonstrated time after time in qualifying however, let's see how he performs in the race. Yes he might beat Botas but I doubt he would have beaten Hamilton.
So what you are saying is that George Russell o ly has to beat bottas? And thats because their cars are way faster than anything else and so it isn't a level playing field???
I have no idea how you interpreted that from what I said. People were using the fact that Russell was fastest in first and second qualifying to suggest Hamilton isn't such a great driver. I, at no point, suggested that Russell only had to beat Botas to win the race, in fact, he will do extremely well to even finish on the podium. What I was saying is that even if he does finish ahead of Botas in the race it would not detract from Hamilton's GOATness.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Unless he's actually ill, I really dont see why he cant race. Its not like F1 is a team contact sport and whilst hes driving around all by his lonesome hes wearing a helmet with a built in face mask!
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Struggle to believe anyone can think Russell isn’t a great driver based on that. Genuinely saddened to see him finish so far back but got to be a shoe in to replace Bottas in 2022.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:54 pm Struggle to believe anyone can think Russell isn’t a great driver based on that. Genuinely saddened to see him finish so far back but got to be a shoe in to replace Bottas in 2022.
He has been punching way above his weight in the Williams this season as any result above second last in that car is an achievement. Yes he is a very good driver and will go on to better things but to be honest, all of the 20 drivers out there are very talented.

Very disappointed for him the way today's race ended up but this kind of thing will only make him more determined.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Arise, Sir Lewis.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:20 pm Unless he's actually ill, I really dont see why he cant race. Its not like F1 is a team contact sport and whilst hes driving around all by his lonesome hes wearing a helmet with a built in face mask!
Can you imagine the press reaction if he were to do so whilst suffering from Covid?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour